You just became Chief of Police... what are you arming your cops with?

Miami_JBT

Okay you have just been voted to be the Chief of Police for your newly created city. What will you equip your officers with?

I'd go with the following.

Officers would have the choice of being issued the following.

GLOCK 35Gen4
GLOCK 22Gen4
GLOCK 23Gen4

All duty sidearms would be issued with Streamlight TRL2 weapon lights. All of the spare mags in the mag pouches will be 15rd full size GLOCK mags. So even officers with a GLOCK 23 can share mags with officers using a GLOCK 22 or 35.

Backup would be a GLOCK 27Gen4

Patrol Carbines would be 11.5 inch AR-15 Carbine Suppressed with a AAC M4 2000 or Springfield Armor M1A Scout Squads. Both would rock TR2s with pressure pads. Officer's choice.

Shotgun would be a 14 inch Remington 870 with Surefire LED light.

SWAT's Counter Sniper Rifle would be a Remington 700 in .308 Winchester, suppressed of course.

No pistol caliber carbines or SMGs. The SBR AR-15 can do the same job for a better bang for the buck. I understand that different officers would like to have their own choice in firearm but from a bean counter view I think the Gen4 .40 Caliber GLOCKs are the best way to go. No difference in manual of arms for training. All firearms would have night sights.

.40 S&W ammo would be Winchester's Ranger SXT 180gr JHP Load.
12 Gauge would be Winchester's Ranger Low Recoil 2 ¾ inch 00 Buck and Slug.
5.56x45mm would be Hornady's TAP load.
.308 Winchester would be another fine Hornady's TAP.

Mike38

Okay, I’ll play along.

Hand gun would be M1911.
Carbine would be M4.
Shotgun would be Remington 870.
SWAT Sniper rifles would be Remington 700LRT. A few in .223, a few in .308. Then at least one rifle that shoots the .416 Barrett. :eek:

Caboclo

I would keep whatever weapons the department already had and use the money for extra practice ammo instead.

oneounceload

IF the department is paying, then the competitive bid process would be used following standard public gov't open-process protocol - it would then go to the lowest accepted bidder - just like NYC did when Glocks first came out.....

DRBoyle

Anything double stacked and proven. Concentrate instead on providing them with ammo choices. Access to more loaded magazines during the patrol and other things of that nature. Look into holosights for some members as their eyesight fails.

BGutzman

it would then go to the lowest accepted bidder

Not exactly the best way to ensure your getting a quality anything... be it a gun or a hamburger.... Nothing against any particular gun just not a great selection method.

Rampant_Colt

The 12-gauge autoloader.
The .45 long slide, with laser sighting.
The Uzi nine millimeter

I'm a friend of Sarah Connor. I was told she was here. Could I see her please?

oneounceload

Not saying that it IS the best way - just saying WHY things go the way they are - remember, tax dollars are at stake, and folks want accountability.

When NYC bought Glocks way back when, they did so because they bought 30,000 at $75/each...why were they so cheap? Because it costs Gaston $52/gun, so he still made a decent profit and made headway into the US LEO market

Gov't procurement is simple - there is a set of specifications, they are sent to all pre-qualified bidders, the bids are opened, the lowest bidder gets the sale - everything else is secondary

ZeSpectre

Okay you have just been voted to be the Chief of Police for your newly created city. What will you equip your officers with?

A copy of the Bill of Rights and a copy of the Constitution of the state in which we are operating, and they'd get quizzed every now and then :p

Wag

They would be allowed to choose their firearm and caliber but the department would choose the ammo.

For example, for .45 ACP, Hydroshoks, etc. etc.

--Wag--