You be the JUDGE

Nathan

I would be careful of placing any “plan” in writing or on a web forum.

I personally have no issue with the use of 410 as long as the load is patterned and penetration checked at reasonable ranges. I’m not sure a 7yd pattern will give you much help over a Jhp point shot. It would be good to have jhp’s to back it up. How do you know how many intruders there will be?

FITASC

The 12gauge would do that very well, because it has a large amount of mass, and at a handful of paces, that mass is still very concentrated, acting like one very LARGE bullet.

I'll disagree with this as not all of those pellets will hit as a single projectile. If I hit you with a 1oz solid rock or 1oz of grains of sand, the rock will do more damage. There;s is nothing wrong with birdshot at close range on the face, or a kneecap, but larger shot will penetrate better, especially if thick winter clothing is involved

cdoc42

FITASC, I feel I should just bring this to your attention because it was part of my initial post:

"My target plan would initially be the head and face of any intruder, thus avoiding the need to be concerned about clothing penetration,....."

Back to Dawg23 on post #15, who said: "You're apparently more interested in defending your (poor) choice of guns than in listening to some excellent advice that's been offered."

The entire point of my post was NOT for advice on what to use. It was for an evaluation of the different shot sizes and loads. My last line: "So, YOU be the judge. Which .410 cartridge would you choose in this circumstance if you were going to do what I plan?

44 AMP

Staff
I'll disagree with this as not all of those pellets will hit as a single projectile.

My experience is that at very short range, enough of them will be together to act like a single large bullet. No, small shot won't have the penetration larger shot or a single bullet does, but penetrating heavy winter clothing is not the issue under discussion here.