Yotes

chewie146

I was howling this morning trying to locate some yotes so I could get on them and start calling at sun up. I was sitting in the dark, and heard a crunching sound, not unlike a predator munching bones. I thought I was just spooking myself. That's when I found this about 60 yards away, complete with coyote. Unfortunately, in the dark I must have dipped my front sight in the dirt, and couldn't get a shot off at him with my sight covered in mud. He was then gone faster than I could clean the sight off.

He was eating with me right there. Apparently I played the wind right.

1209120700.jpg

chewie146

That right side tine was interesting. It's almost like a dagger blade. Very flat and thin with a good point.

In the pix. Yotes sure do know what parts to eat first don't they. Instead of being called the carnivore's of the woods. They should have been named the connoisseur's of the woods by looking at that deer. Not much left for the birds to pick at is there. (neck bones and hoof or two)

S/S

Rmart30

Sure wish they would put a bounty back on them for a cpl of years and get em thinned back down. In the past 5 years they have really jumped in numbers around here.

In our first yr of trapping we caught 100 predators. Our turkey population exploded the next 2 years. Seeing more birds this year than anytime in the previous 15 years.

shortwave

I know if I wanted that yote or maybe a shot at a few of his friends, I'd be back out there hunting that carcass.

They'll be back after the rest. ;)

chewie146

I went back that afternoon, the following weekend, and now it's gone. They're feeding at night there, I think. I don't know, though. I can't be on a carcass for 8 hours like when I was single.

solocam72

I just bought a foxpro wildfire electronic call, I had them load the sounds they figured I would use the most for coyotes, wolves, and bobcats. I am hoping to put some smack on the yotes around here, we have plenty! The call sounds amazing, just havnt had a chance to get out with it yet. I have been fairly succesful with my mouth calls but have never taken it really serious, I plan to start soon! I don't care about the hides so I plan to use my .257 weatherby with my handloads, 80 grain barnes ttsx bullets going over my chronograph right at 3700 fps, should do the trick

kutz

We got too many prarrie dogs here we shoot the prarrie dogs and let the yotes help us thin them out.

chewie146

That's one thing we don't have anymore. We haven't had prairie dogs up here in years. Too bad the yotes don't get the gophers in the yard. The house cats have even given up on them.

shortwave

More yotes moved in an old den here right outside the yard at the head of the ravine not more then 50yds from the house.:mad:

I killed three out of that den a couple years ago and thought I had destroyed the den but I can see they have rehabbed it.

Happened to notice scraps from what looked to be a deer gut pile dropped at the entrance and with further examination saw tracks. Wondered why my bunny population had dropped so rapidly here around the house.

Time to start burning the 'midnight oil' again. :rolleyes:

CurlyQ.Howard

Basically, in IL over the last 35 years the Yotes have moved from western IL across state all the way to the IN state line (and maybe some actually moved west from IN to IL). What they have done is to wreck havoc on upland game as well as domesticated animals (as you know, any available pets are Yote treats). Well, I knew a farm kid who found a Yote pup and raised it as a pet. A couple years later the farm was burgled, and the kid's Am Staff was stolen, but the Yote wasn't. The kid was happy that he still had his Yote as he so liked the qualities it displayed.

dalegribble

yotes will travel. i grew up in western new york but moved away in 78. my family tells me there are alot of yotes there now. they were never there when i was growing up.

spaniel

CurlyQ, here in central Indiana the coyotes are thick as anything and have been for years...I'm sure they didn't wait to fill IL before coming here! There is a place near here that has a captive wolf pack that they study. As a fundraiser they have "wolf howl" nights -- lots of fun for the kids. You get the wolves worked up and then when they stop for a minute, you can hear all the coyotes in the surrounding farmland who joined in. I still recall being shocked at the number of coyotes around us that night.

Just a couple weeks ago I got woke up by a pack making an awful racket right outside our bedroom. Of course by the time I got a shotgun loaded and was out the door they were gone.

I've got a couple weekend earmarked to hunt them this winter. I've got a Saiga 12 set up for night hunting. For several years I've been wanting to get one with my 300WM with my "coyote loads" - 110gr Vmax at ~3800fps :D Anybody want the hide??