Yote Rifle... But not another .223

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I bought my little Sako carbine .243 in 1971. Been loading for it since Day One. Never a problem. Sorta slow twist, so lighter bullts work better.

I've loaded the 55-grain for prairie dogs; works fine to 300 yards. I've loaded the 70-grain Hornady Spire Point with 3031 and gotten tight groups.

I mostly use the 85-grain Sierra HPBT with 3031 for deer and coyotes. I've never had occasion to go for distance on coyotes, since it's all been nighttime calling, and so it's rarely over forty yards or thereabouts. Spreads coyote innards over a half-acre or so...

IMO, loading for the .243 is a piece of cake.

dmazur

.243 Winchester.

Ruger makes a fairly nice M77VT in .243. Good for coyotes and can double as a deer rifle (if you believe in shot placement.)

The M77VT has a free floated heavy barrel and a target trigger, both departures from the normal "Ruger way of doing a rifle".

Gray coated stainless with a laminated stock with a varmint forend. Some people refer to the stock as "plywood", and I'll admit it's pretty plain. I like it better than synthetic, and it seems more dimensionally stable than a walnut stock, especially if it's sealed inside and under the butt pad.