Yote Rifle... But not another .223

Chris Phelps

I am on the lookout for a new rifle... Primarily for Yote hunting. I don't want another .223... I already have three of them. I've been reading about / Comparing a few different calibers, and I am curious as to what everyone here has to offer. I started by reading about the 22-250, but I think the life expectancy on the barrel is going to be a major issue. The .204 Ruger looks like an outstanding choice. .243 and .260 are on the table, as well.

The Yotes in the area I hunt are Eastern Coyote, so they aren't the scraggly little 20 lb dogs most of you are used to. They are Coyote/Wolf Hybrids, so they tend to range from 35-70 lbs on average, with some into the 100+ lb range.

The distance I will be shooting ranges from 75-100 yards at night all the way out to 500 yards during the day. 500 Yards is fine for any one of the above listed calibers, but I figured I would mention these things in case any of you have another caliber to suggest.

.243 might also present a problem while handloading. (The handloaders know what I'm talking about on this one.)

Lets here it... What do you guys have for opinions / Advice / Other options?

Hemicuda

I use a .22-250 Rem (Savage 110 with the Accu-Trigger) on 'yotes, and it is DEADLY...

Dad has a .22-250 with better than 25 years and 5000+ rounds and the barrel is still good...

timothy75

I'd go 22-250 and try to shoot out the barrel. You'd be an exellent shot and have a lot of field stories if you did.

Rifleman 173

Yote hunting might not be a bad way to test some of the newer rifle rounds like the 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8 SPC. in the M-4 or AR-15 forms. That way you could give us your thoughts and maybe even photographs or videos of what those rounds do to yotes. You might also try out some other rifles for effectiveness like the Olympic Arms K40-GL-A3 rifles. Something to think about...

fisherman66

Your bigger bullets with a high BC are going to buck the wind better. *If* you plan on 500 yard shots I'd look at the 6mm to 7mm since they typically have a better BC. The old Swede or Roberts might be my pick (and since you handload you might consider the AI version). If you are saving the pelts then I'd look at the bottom of the spectrum. I believe most of the throat burning qualities of the 22-250 or Swift have to do with not letting the barrel cool between shots.

rgitzlaff

I've seen some pictures of what the 6.5 Grendel does to a yote... Really ripped a big hole through it. I have an AR in that caliber also, though have yet to kill anything with it.

SDBuckaroo

If you think the .22-250 has throat erosion problems you should look at the .220 Swift!

I bet you could shoot a .22-250 good long time before the barrel when T-U on you.

I agree though that I would look into a 6.5 or such if I was going to build a yote gun.

So much depends on where you are hunting. Distance is your greatest factor of course. But wind plays a big part too. I hunted in Wyoming where the distances were long and the wind was constant. I now live in Indiana where the distances are much shorter (lots more and better cover) and wind is nowhere near like out West.

Have you visited Predator Masters? Lots of good info there!
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

shooter_john

Since you mentioned it already, I vote 260 Rem. I have a 6.5x47 Lapua built on a Savage action, but I still want a 260. I can't find anything about the 6.5/ .264's, and my Lapua loves the 120 SMK's.

My second vote would go to the 22-250. If you're already loading for .223, then you could standardize bullets between the two.

kfb2b

I would say avoid the 204 Ruger unless you want to only shoot factory ammo. it achieves it's amazing velocity via Hornady specially-formulated powders specific to the cartridge that are not available to the general public, so if you handload, then you lose a little.

Actually, the 223 is sitll on the table, as Barnes and Remmy Core-lokt's are available to make it a viable tool on animals up to small (120-140lb) deer!

Chris Phelps

Your bigger bullets with a high BC are going to buck the wind better. *If* you plan on 500 yard shots I'd look at the 6mm to 7mm since they typically have a better BC.

I have no problems getting out to 500 yards with my .223... why would I need something as heavy as a 7mm-08 or 7mm mag to do the job?

Yote hunting might not be a bad way to test some of the newer rifle rounds like the 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8 SPC. in the M-4 or AR-15 forms.

The thought has definitely crossed my mind on adding a 3rd AR to the collection... in 6.8SPC. Recently, 6mmPPC has become an option for this, as well. 6mmPPC, I know for a fact, is good for beyond 1000 yards. 6.8SPC is supposed to be right on par, as well. Since I don't keep the furs, I definitely wouldn't have an issue with testing these heavier loads... especially if it would benefit my fellow shooters at the same time.

I would say I am definitely planning on picking up one, if not both, of the above mentioned... probably both of them will be ARs. However, the void I am trying to fill ATM is on the lower end of the spectrum. It seems like 22-250 is the favorite choice among shooters here.

I am glad to hear about the 5,000+ shots on the same barrel... I was hearing stories about people getting as little as 800 shots out of these rifles. In light of the fact that I usually average about 4 hours a day - Every day - at the range during the spring and summer months, I would have that barrel burned out in literally about a week if that were the case.

Actually, the 223 is sitll on the table, as Barnes and Remmy Core-lokt's are available to make it a viable tool on animals up to small (120-140lb) deer!

223 is definitely a great caliber, no doubt about it. The reason for my wanting a new rifle in a different caliber is simply that I already have 3 223s, and I just want something new and different.

essexcounty

You're overestimating the stamina of the Eastern Coyote. Either the .223 or the .22-250 is more than adequate will make one very sick, very fast....Essex

Chris Phelps

You're overestimating the stamina of the Eastern Coyote. Either the .223 or the .22-250 is more than adequate will make one very sick, very fast....Essex

I'm who what??? I never said one single word about the stamina... only stated facts about its size. One has nothing to do with the other.

I DON'T want another .223. I own 3 already! the 223 is NOT an option. I want something NEW.

Even the .204 will make a clean kill... This isn't an adequacy issue.... the question is preference between the options.

davlandrum

I was thinking .257 Roberts, but see by your sig line you have one already. I would like to hear your opinions on it as a "sometime varmit/most time deer" round.

Chris Phelps

IMO, the 257 Rob is an outstanding all-around choice for anything, really. I've never taken a deer with mine, but the rifle was a hand-down from my grandfather who has taken 7 with it using 120gr fmjbt handloads. I have taken a few coyote with this same round. To be honest, if there was an inexpensive way to get another one (Ruger M77s are the only ones I know of currently offered in this chamber), then I would have added a second one to my collection a long time ago. My M77 is a bit too much of a sentimental rifle... it makes me a bit nervous to carry it into the woods knowing something might happen to it.

If you were looking to pick one up for Varmint / Deer, You have my thumbs up all the way.

davlandrum

Chris - for some reason, that round just tickles my fancy, just not enough to make the investment.

Biggest elk killed by anyone I know was by a .257 Roberts. It was my hunting buddy's mom. Unfortunately, her rifle is cut down to the size of a daisy red ryder, since she is maybe 5 foot nothing. It is a freaking shooting machine though and her late husband was kind enough to hand-load her enough ammo to last her as long as she wants to hunt before he passed away.

Chris Phelps

Yeah, the investment is a big issue. About the cheapest way to get what I want would be to buy a Savage-Stevens 200 action chambered in 308, then get a custom barrel and stock. That would run me about the same as buying another M77, but I would end up with a heavy Bbl and a better trigger. I do prefer the Ruger action, though. Its a lot smoother.

Jag351

I too am looking for a Coyote rifle, and I own a .204. It is a great round but it does drift a lot in my experience... I have been thinking that a I would go up to a 22-250 to increase the effective range beyond 200 yards. Then again I do live in west Texas, and the wind is always blowing 15 to 20 mph is pretty common.

Chris Phelps

Jag, I don't know what kind of shooting distance you are looking for, but if you aren't looking for a new and different caliber (like I am), then you could always look into 308s and shoot 110gr - 135gr A-Max / V-Max. I have had really good luck with that setup.