Yet another possible justification for carrying

N.H. Yankee

When walking in my very rural area I carry a can of 10% pepper spray with dye as well as my CCW. If I have to spray a dog, I want the police to be able to light him up after for ID'ing the perp mutt. We also have had coyote attacks, and the yotes here can top 50lbs plus. I also have seen a cougar a few years back just behind my house.

I would rather mace a neighbors dog than shoot if I have too. We have no feral dogs or packs around here, the most I have seen together are 3 tailwagging dogs. Matter of fact I haven't seen a viscious dog around here in quite a while, we had a neighbor few years ago with pitbulls that were nasty but they moved. About the most visciouis foaming at the mouth threat around here are the Liberal soccor moms, you guessed it, thats the real reason for the 10% pepper spray:D

Skans

I do some jogging and quite a bit of hiking in rural NE Georgia. Most of the folks there own dogs and let them pretty much run free. For the most part they stay on their own land, unless you walk by their land, then they will come out to "greet" you. While I do carry a knife on me, I don't carry a gun (so far) when I'm there.

A couple of things about dogs - they basically don't want to be ignored - stop and let them sniff your hand and that's about all most of them want. I've never had to harm someone's dog for running up to me.

A couple of things about folks in NE Georgia and probably other rural areas - you don't want to hurt their dogs. You might be in the right but nothing good is going to come of that. I'm pretty good with a knife and I know how to fight dogs if necessary. But, that would be an absolute last resort.

I have seen a pack of wild dogs run through one end of my property - they were just running through and I haven't seen them again. But, wild dogs are a different story. If I catch them on my land again, I'll put down every one of them, if I can - just like hunting any other pest.

Daugherty16

As if we need another reason

It is too true that you never need your weapon until you need it, but if you don't have it when you truly need it your time on this earth could be over.

I view bad people as a far greater threat than bad dogs, though their intentions are usually much harder to read. However, even a single determined dog can do for you, let alone a 60-77 year old couple. But the proper gun for a dog attack isn't a puny compact 9mm, its a 12 gauge with an extended mag tube loaded with 00 buck. So that's what i carry whenever i go into wild dog country.

Seriously, dog attacks are rare, but often quite severe or fatal when they do happen. Occasionally you'll read about someone who defends himself or others against a mangy cur with his CCW, but more often the victims are unarmed elderly or children. Dogs (even whacked out dogs willing to attack a human) follow the same instinctive prey selection process that BG do - vulnerable, small, and scared is much better for them than big, agressive and unafraid (or appearing so, anyway).

A feral dog is different, and a pack of feral dogs is something i hope neither myself or anyone i know ever encounters. A single dog, you think maybe you could fend it off, even shoot it, maybe even kick it hard enough to back it down. But a pack bent on killing you? if the first shot or two doesn't scatter them, you're pretty likely Alpo.

serf 'rett

I’m a statistical anomaly

Seriously, dog attacks are rare
If this is true then I’m a statistical anomaly. Without counting the numerous ankle and leg nips from the little “Awww, he/she won’t hurt you” yap-yaps, I remember four distinct full bore attacks in a six week period when I was doing door to door sales 1987. Yeah, I know what you’re thinking; I was in their territory and deserved to be attacked. My hard sided sales case was certainly used for more than carrying materials and only a couple of bites connected. The two times I had to get sewn up were from attacks in the summer of ’68 while riding a bike. The first dog was content with a few bites on my leg but stopped shortly after I came to a stop and could swat at him. Damage – a few stitches in the leg. The second dog, one week later, used the leg hold to bring me to a stop and then started going for the face/throat area. I suspect things would have taken a turn for the worse if I had ever fallen down. It took 4 other people to stop the dog’s attack. Damage – more stitches in leg and stitches in arm.
I’m under no illusions. A single medium size dog can do serious damage faster than you may comprehend.

Last edited:

psyfly

I think I agree with daugherty16; rare is not necessarily rare enough.

http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/Dog-Bites/biteprevention.html

About 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs each year.
• Almost one in five of those who are bitten :a total of 885,000: require medical attention for dog bite-related injuries.
• In 2006, more than 31,000 people underwent reconstructive surgery as a result of being bitten by dogs.

(and so far in 2009, there have been 21 reported deaths)

About 7 to 1 odds aren't as good as I'd like.

And that's just for one year. The exposure/risk is additive.

Best be prepared.

ZeSpectre

The only time I've had to shoot in self defense was against a pack of feral dogs.

Myself as well. And in the end we found out that one of the dogs was rabid so I still give a lot of thanks about that incident.

I thank God for the courage I found at the time.
I thank my Dad for teaching me to shoot.
I thank Remington for reliable equipment!