YES! Bellesiles just resigned!

Brett Bellmore

And I get the distinct impression it was moments ahead of being fired.

http://www.emory.edu/central/NEWS/Releases/bellesiles1035563546.html

"Robert A. Paul, Interim Dean of Emory College

I have accepted the resignation of Michael Bellesiles from his position as Professor of History at Emory University, effective December 31, 2002."

For some reason Bellesiles' statement, and the investigative report, aren't loading on my computer. Perhaps they haven't finished posting them?

foghornl

I suspect it was "resignation in lieu of firing". But anyway, a song comes to mind....

"Thank God and Greyhound You're Gone..."

[I think song was by C&W singer Roy Clark from sometime in the early '70's]
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

treeprof

Based on the findings and response, he and the review committee couldn't even agree on how many page are in the book. Had Arming America been a PhD thesis, I'd have flunked him. I bet the 2nd ed. never makes it to press.

The charlatan has resigned! Yippee!

Bellesiles (since he didn't retire, he's not a "professor" anymore) has discredited himself but remains unrepetent. Read his resignation in which he states that a second edition of "Arming America" with corrections was being prepared and that he was working on another book. I hope the publisher elects to publish thousands upon thousands of copies of the 2nd edition, and that they sit idle on the shelf, gathering dust and then appear at a bargain book shelf at 99 cents a copy. If I can buy them by the pound, I can sure use a new backstop for my crossbow.

Last edited:

treeprof

Hmm, seems to open fine in Adobe for me.

It's long (40 page report, 7 page retort) but here are a couple of highlights:

Question 1. Did Professor Bellesiles engage in "intentional fabrication or falsification of research data" in connection with probate records from Rutland County, Vermont? Our conclusion is that Bellesisles' account of the Vermont probate records contain extensive errors in part because they were not in fact collected with the purpose of counting guns.

Question 2. Did Professor Bellesiles engage in "intentional fabrication or falsification of research data" in connection with probate records from Providence, Rhode Island? Our conclusion is that Professor Bellesiles' work on the Providence, Rhode Island records does not raise serious problems of fabrication or falsification of research data .. errors ... appear to be a consequence of his conflation of wills and inventories ... imprecision in the use of technical terms ... exaggeration of data.

Question 3. Did Professor Bellesiles engage in "intentional fabrication or falsification of research data" in connection with probate records from the San Francisco Bay area? Our conclusion is that we cannot prove that (he) simply invented his California research, but neither do we have confidence that the Contra Costa inventories resolve the problem. The discovery of the Contra Costa data appears to have been fortuitous ... some question as to whether he could have read these documents at the time he claims to have done so.

Question 4. Did Professor Bellesiles engage in "intentional fabrication or falsification of research data" in connection with probate records supporting the figures in Table One ... ? ... unfamiliarity with quantitative methods or plain incompetence could explain some of the known deficiencies in the construction of Table.18 ... But in one respect, the failure to clearly identify his sources, does move into the realm of "falsification," which would constitute a violation of the Emory "Policies." The construction of this Table implies a consistent, comprehensive, and intelligible method of gathering data. The reality seems quite the opposite. In fact, Professor Bellesiles told the Committee that because of criticism from other scholars, he himself had begun to doubt the quality of his probate research well before he published it in the Journal of American History. [Interview, p.35-6 AA 00764-764; MB 00448]]. The most egregious misrepresentation has to do with his handling of the more than 900 cases reported by Alice Hanson Jones. When critics pointed out that Jones' data disagreed with his, Bellesiles responded by explaining that he did NOT include Jones's data in his computations because her inventories, taken during the build-up to the American revolution, showed a disproportionately high number of guns! Here is a clear admission of misrepresentation, since the label on column one in Table One clearly says "1765-1790."

Question 5. Did professor Bellesiles engage in "other serious deviations 'from accepted practices in carrying out or reporting results from research'" with respect to probate records or militia census records by: a)
Failing to carefully document his findings; (b) Failing to make available to others his sources, evidence, and data; or (c) Misrepresenting evidence or the sources of evidence." We have reached the conclusion with reference to clauses "a" through "c," that Professor Bellesiles contravened these professional norms, both as expressed in the Committee charge and in the American Historical Association's definition of scholarly "integrity," .... (goes on to spell these out)

We have interviewed Professor Bellesiles and found him both cooperative and respectful of this process. Yet the best that can be said of his work with the probate and militia records is that he is guilty of unprofessional and misleading work. Every aspect of his work in the probate records is deeply flawed. Even allowing for the loss of some of his research materials, he appears not to have been systematic in selecting repositories or collections of probate records for examination and his recording methods were at best primitive and altogether unsystematic.

David Park

Brett, right-click on the links and save the PDF files to disc. Then you should be able to open them. It's basically the same old story (the dog ate my homework, the vast majority of my facts are correct, I'll continue to add data to my web site, still working on a new book, controversy made it impossible to continue teaching at Emory).

Hmm, unemployed research hack seeking to further gun-grabber agenda. Tom Diaz, call your office. :rolleyes:

Frohickey

Bellesiles (since he didn't retire, he's not a "professor" anymore) has discredited himself and is now unemployed. Hopefully he'll use this time to reflect upon the errors of his way.

I'm sure that Bellesiles will be back in the saddle again. I hear that Sarah Brady and VPC are looking for senior research historian :p

dZ

I will miss my many friends-staff
members, professors, and students. But the persistence of this controversy
does not serve the best interest of Emory's students, or of my family, or of
scholarship. I will continue to research and report on the probate materials
while also working on my next book, but cannot continue to teach in what I
feel is a hostile environment. I am therefore resigning from the Emory
faculty effective at the end of the year.
Michael A. Bellesiles

David Park

treeprof just hits the highlights. The Investigative Committee report is really damning. Although the committee had to limit their inquiry to answering charges in the university's misconduct policies (which they admit are not designed to address a case like this), the body of the report makes it clear that Bellesiles's methods were so sloppy that it's nearly impossible to determine if he actually did any research. In other words, how do you prove someone intentionally falsified their results when they have no results to falsify, and are just making up numbers? It was this gross incompetence that was going to get him fired.

iso1

Here's a short summary for anyone who can't load it.

1. Did Professor Bellesiles engage in "intentional fabrication or falsification of
research data" in connection with probate records from Rutland County,
Vermont?
2. Did Professor Bellesiles engage in "intentional fabrication or falsification of
research data" in connection with probate records from Providence, Rhode Island?

In summary, we find on Questions 1 and 2, that despite serious failures of and
carelessness in the gathering and presentation of archival records and the use of
quantitative analysis, we cannot speak of intentional fabrication or falsification.

3. Did Professor Bellesiles engage in "intentional fabrication or falsification of
research data" in connection with probate records from the San Francisco Bay
area?

On Question 3, we find that the strained character of Professor Bellesiles’ explanation raises questions about his veracity with respect to his account of having consulted probate records in San Francisco County.

4. Did Professor Bellesiles engage in "intentional fabrication or falsification of
research data" in connection with probate records supporting the figures in Table
One to his book, "Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture"?

On Question 4, dealing with the construction of the vital Table One, we find evidence of falsification.

5. Did Professor Bellesiles engage in "other serious deviations “from accepted
practices in carrying out or reporting results from research” with respect
to probate records or militia census records by:
(a) Failing to carefully document his findings;
(b) Failing to make available to others his sources, evidence, and data; or
(c) Misrepresenting evidence or the sources of evidence."

And on Question 5, which raises the
standard of professional historical scholarship, we find that Professor Bellesiles falls
short on all three counts.

Is anybody truly surprised?

Brett Bellmore

Ok, finally managed to load it, when I got home. Think I'm going to have to reinstall adobe on my work computer.

I'd say that report is damning in two respects; One, they went as far as they could in calling him a fraud without actually using the word. Perhaps they were concerned that he'd sue them if they used the "f" word? Can't see any other reason for not uttering it; The evidence they did look at was just overwhelming, and it was a fraction of what was available to them.

And, two, the University deliberately blew off most of the evidence of fraud, the altered quotes and such, that actually triggered the initial charges of academic fraud. That stuff was so blatent, it wasn't historians that caught him on it, it was folks like you and me. (The probate records only surfaced later.) What gives? They wanted to maintain just a tiny bit of wiggle room, or are they just trying to avoid admitting that laymen detected a fraud they were taken in by? Either way, I'm disgusted with Emery. They really had to be dragged kicking and screaming into cleaning their own house.

Glock-A-Roo

Bellesiles resigns from Emory Univ.

http://www.emory.edu/central/NEWS/Releases/bellesiles1035563546.html#

Oct. 25: Michael Bellesiles Resigns from Emory Faculty

October 25, 2002

Robert A. Paul, Interim Dean of Emory College

I have accepted the resignation of Michael Bellesiles from his position as Professor of History at Emory University, effective December 31, 2002.

Although we would not normally release any of the materials connected with a case involving the investigation of faculty misconduct in research, in light of the intense scholarly interest in the matter I have decided, with the assent of Professor Bellesiles as well as of the members of the Investigative Committee, to make public the report of the Investigative Committee appointed by me to evaluate the allegations made against Professor Bellesiles (none of the supporting documents, however, are being made public). The text of the report is now available online at www.emory.edu/central/NEWS/.

Emory considers the report authoritative.

In conducting this investigation, Emory has scrupulously observed the procedures laid out in our published policy statement regarding matters of alleged research misconduct. Throughout the investigation process our efforts have been guided by the objectives of maintaining the highest standards of scholarly integrity, while also striving to ensure the confidentiality of the proceedings and to protect the rights of a member of Emory's faculty.

The Investigative Committee was chaired by Stanley N. Katz, Professor of Public and International Affairs, Princeton University, and included Hanna H. Gray, Judson Distinguished Professor of History Emerita and President Emerita, University of Chicago, and Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, James Duncan Phillips Professor of History, Harvard University. I hereby express my appreciation to these distinguished scholars for contributing their effort and expertise to the resolution of this matter of such great importance not only to Emory but to the wider scholarly community. Committee members have stated that they will not discuss or respond to questions about the investigation or the report.

Emory also wishes to express its thanks and appreciation to Professor Bellesiles for his many years of service and his many valuable contributions to the University.

Emory now considers the investigation of allegations of research misconduct against Professor Bellesiles in connection with his book Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture to be concluded and resolved.

benewton

Surprise, he lied.

But all CYA'd, he'll get hired elsewhere, and I've not seen the publicity for his resignation, actually, read firing, that accompanied his book.

SSDD...

But a large victory for the internet, TFL, and all others who participated.

Now, if we could just get him assigned to a job, collecting garbage, which better suits his mental skills...