XD(M) Elite 10mm

kilotanker22

Picked up a Springfield XDm Elite OSP in 10mm auto today. I like the aesthetics and dimensions of the gun, and the trigger was a nice surprise too. I think I will love this gun when I can get reasonably priced range ammo.

The Hex Dragonfly red dot sight seems nice enough. For the overall price of this setup, I assumed that there would be some polymer in the sight housing, and was surprised that it seems to be all metal.

I'm excited for a range day tomorrow! What is your favorite IWB holster for this size gun?

I have the full size in Dark Earth. I'm chomping at the bit to make time to hit the range. Hoping this week.

Do you not like the holster it came with? Or are you adamant in using IWB?

Dan Bongino advocates Patriot Holsters. Supposed to be able to use it IWB and OWB.

kilotanker22

I have the full size in Dark Earth. I'm chomping at the bit to make time to hit the range. Hoping this week.

Do you not like the holster it came with? Or are you adamant in using IWB?

Dan Bongino advocates Patriot Holsters. Supposed to be able to use it IWB and OWB.
It did not come with a holster. It came with a zip up soft case. I found a crossbreed super tuck at Sportsman's Warehouse today for it. So far I like it, but the leather will take some time to break in.

kilotanker22

That's gonna be a spicy little gun! Make sure to get us a range report.
Spicy it is. Recoil is significantly more than 9mm but it is manageable. I am definitely gonna have to play with the back straps to see what I like best. With most full size handguns, I like the larger backstraps. However, the grip on this gun is too short for me. I was going to remove the mag well and go with the shorter base plate for the mags, but then my pinky has nothing at all to grip and just hangs out below the grip. With the mag well and 11 round base plate, I can still grip the magazine with my pinky and that helps control recoil and get the gun back on target. I have since switched to the smallest back strap. The smaller back strap actually allows me to get a better grip, since the grip area is too short for me.

The Hex Dragonfly optic seems reasonably nice and worked well. Today I bought a Crossbreed Super Tuck holster for it. I had to remove the optic to use the holster, which is ok by me. The factory sights on this gun are definitely useable. I also prefer to carry without the added bulk of an optic.

I was impressed with velocities obtained from this gun with a 3.8" barrel. I shot two brands of ammunition. Hornady Critical Defense 175 grain, and SIG Elite Performance 180 grain V-Crown. The Hornady ammunition gave an average velocity of 1080 fps, and the Sig ammunition gave an average velocity of 1235 fps.

Once sighted in, the optic and the gun performed admirably. At ten yards I could keep them all in a four inch circle or so. Given that the grip at the time was uncomfortable from the larger backstraps and the gun was new to me, I have no doubt the gun would shoot much better with some practice.

The recoil with the SIG ammunition was much more than with the Hornady. The gun ate 100 rounds of defense ammo without issue. The only stoppages I had were due to me riding the slide release lever and locking the slide open. Again, this was due to the larger back strap and not having enough grip. I have ran a few drills since changing the backstraps and it is better. Ultimately, I may end up purchasing the extended mags from Springfield and converting this to a full size grip. Although, ai think with more practice, I will become accustomed to the shorter grip.

I would go shoot it some more, but 100 roundd of defense ammo costed me $150, and I don't have the stomach to shoot up the good stuff until I have some brass and primers to load some range ammo.

Overall, the gun seems well made. Recoil is substantial, but not unmanageable. It shoots well and seems to eat up whatever I run through it. The ability to convert it to a full size grip and back to a compact is a plus for me. The trigger on this gun is excellent. Especially when considering the price. I have shot more expensive guns with triggers not as good as this one.

With a full mag, 11+1, the gun is pretty heavy, albeit not as heavy as a steel 1911. I am very happy with it so far, except for the length of the grip. In comparison, the grip on my Glock 43x is long enough for all my fingers to get a grip, even without the magazine. If that grip was a half inch longer on the Springfield, the gun would be perfect for me

Shadow9mm

good stuff! bummer about the holster not working with the sight.

have you considered getting the 15rnd mags with the sleeve for a full length grip vs the 11rnd mags with short mag well?

kilotanker22

good stuff! bummer about the holster not working with the sight.

have you considered getting the 15rnd mags with the sleeve for a full length grip vs the 11rnd mags with short mag well?
Yes, I have, as I noted in my last post, about converting it to full size. However, I am not sure I will be able to conceal it with a longer grip. I may convert this gun and continue carrying the Glock 43x.

Shadow9mm

would have made more sense to me to do what sig did with the P365 and just make them all cross compatible instead of having to modify the mag well to go between.

flush fit 10
flush fit 10 with pinky
extended 12 with sleeve
extended 15 with sleeve.

When I buy any Springfield product, I go online and register it for warranty (although they'll honor taking care of the firearm, anyway). You should receive a discount on their accessories such as magazines by doing so.

kilotanker22

When I buy any Springfield product, I go online and register it for warranty (although they'll honor taking care of the firearm, anyway). You should receive a discount on their accessories such as magazines by doing so.
Thanks, I registered my warranty ov r the weekend

12-34hom

10mm\ springfield Armory compact.

Just bought one of these pistols myself. Went with iron sighted version, swapped the factory issued to a set of Dawson Precesion fiber optic. Great sight woks well on this model. Shot maybe 50 rounds thru it, accuracy excellent [7 yds] no failures of any kind. Recoil no problem. This is going to be my everyday carry. The price of this was very affordable, would recommend it all day long. 12-34hom

ocharry

hi kelo..just a thought

i have a Springfield XD compact in 45 and a XDs in 45 and i like the short mags for carry because of printing but it makes the grip short like you said and my pinky hangs out in the air and while i can shoot them that way i dont care for it....so i put the Pearce mag extender on them both, its about the 1/2" you said and it is a perfect fit with the short mags and my large medium or small large hands...anyway it works good for tuckin in that pinky....and with that snappy round i would want a full hand on it for better control

just a thought and something to look at

ocharry

kilotanker22

hi kelo..just a thought

i have a Springfield XD compact in 45 and a XDs in 45 and i like the short mags for carry because of printing but it makes the grip short like you said and my pinky hangs out in the air and while i can shoot them that way i dont care for it....so i put the Pearce mag extender on them both, its about the 1/2" you said and it is a perfect fit with the short mags and my large medium or small large hands...anyway it works good for tuckin in that pinky....and with that snappy round i would want a full hand on it for better control

just a thought and something to look at

ocharry
They do not list one for the XDM Elite.

bamaranger

Velocity

If you're getting in excess of 1200 fps (1235) with that 3.8" tube, the SIG V-Crown 180 gr is doing really well from your pistol. I'd go so far to say exceptionally well. Is that a figure obtained by your chrono testing, or a factory listed velocity?

I will have to try that ammo in my full size guns if it's breaking 1200 in a sub 4"tube.