WWII Vet Guns Where Are They?

scoutleader

My wife's grandfather was a WWII vet, from the navy. Before he passed away he gave me his M1 and a pith(think that is how it is spelled) helmet he got off a dead German in a fox hole he was in. He never did tell me if he killed him or not. I would imagine he did and did not want to speak about it. It will makes it was down my family tree as long as I have anything to do with it.

DMZX

I remember when I was a kid, my best friend's father took us into his shop one day and showed us his WW II trophies.

He was an engineer in the Cee Bee's in the Pacific and said he would trade with the Marines for stuff they had collected off dead Japs.

He had a Jap wallet with some money and papers, two grenades (which he said he had made inert) a couple bayonets and a rusted up Nambu pistol. He had it all wrapped in a Jap flag.

Pretty cool stuff for an 8 year old kid.

kametc

Neatest thing I've ever seen was back in the 70's. There was an ex Marine was showing us Boy Scouts how to build Kayack's. He had a 1911, but the grips were made of polished pexiglass from a downed Japanese Zero on Okinawa. The way he talked about that gun would lead me to believe that he would never ever part with it.:D

Richard b

Remember WWII for many vets was an ordeal and not an adventure and lots of them did not bring home any guns as they were damn glad to be rid of them.

HKuser

From what I've heard from vets of WW2 and KW, it was not as easy as many seem to think to get stuff home. They were warning GIs not to try to smuggle any full autos especially and any undocumented guns, and guys just wanted to get home without hassle. I've heard stories of them putting out dump barrels on troop ships and telling guys to dump the guns in before pulling into port. Then the officers would go to the barrels and paw through for trophies.

SilentHitz

I've heard stories of them putting out dump barrels on troop ships and telling guys to dump the guns in before pulling into port.
Very true, My grandfather was in the pacific (Navy), and the officers had then throwing hundreds of M1 Carbines over the side...among a lot of other weapons.

This was done to save fuel costs on the trip back to the states. He couldn't resist stuffing a brand new in the canvas case M1 into his duffel bag...it's in my brother safe now. Had maybe 50 rounds fired through it, and like most that were brought back, that one will stay in the family till we're all taking our final dirt nap. :cool:

K720

My neighbor was in New Guniea at the end of the war, and has a Japanese Nambau, a complete leather holster with the shoulder strap, and extra magazine and a Samari sword he took off of a Japanese Officer that surrendered to him. He also has a letteer from his C.O. allowing him to bring it home as a spoils of war.

Flame Red

It is very sad...

I traded a cop for a 1911 WWI pistol that some lady brought into the station when he was on desk duty. Her dad was going into a home and she did not know what it was or what to do with it. She was going to surrender it for destruction. He advised her to sell it as it was worth quite a bit of money. She did not want to bother as she just wanted to be rid of it. He met her after his shift and paid her something for it. Probably not much.

The story was it served in WWI with the lady's grandfather, then her Dad took it to serve in WW2.

I asked the LEO if he would give me her name, but he never has. I wanted to contact her and the Dad (if still alive) and see if I could build some prominence and donate it to some museum. But I don't know how to contact her now :mad:

Taking it to the fun shows, it is extremely valuable, at least $3K min. But that matters not to me, I would have rather have it in a museum to credit the family's service. It really bothers me.

But then again, the whole story could be just BS, like so many stories I have been given when people want to sell guns. But I don't think the LEO would have BS'ed me that much.

I think a lot of these are now man hole covers :eek:

Jeff #111

My grandfather piloted B-17's (anti-sub patrol out of Mass 1941-1943) and B-29 bombers (Japanese home Islands 1945) in WW II. He was activated in the summer of 1941 and issued a brand new Smith and Wesson M&P with a five inch barrel. Even now it's still in great shape. Pre-war commercial finish with checkerd walnut grips and a lanyard ring.A serial number check confirms it was made in 1940. I'll probably have it lettered by the factory in the near future. Have pictures of him wearing it ,in a shoulder holster, in his khakis while standing next to his B-29. He flew missions out of Tinian.

He kept that revolver for the duration of his service. When he was released from active duty in the spring of 1946 he was asked if he wanted to purchase the S&W. Even though he wasn't, and isn't, a "gun-guy" he bought it. He believes he paid $15.00. Even adjusted for inflation that's a great deal.

Somehow he's managed to hold on to it and take care of it. He was an engineer (worked for Chrysler in Detroit) and understands machinery. The last time he actually fired it was the summer of 1967 during the Detroit Riots. It was a bad summer and he dragged it out of his sock drawer. Better safe then sorry. Incidentally he fired it at a range not at rioters.

It's going to me and my dad when he passes. None of my aunts and uncles could give two hoots about it. We'll make sure it stays in the family.

Getting back to the original question. I figure that the network of buyers and sellers is playing a big part in it. There is hoarding going on of the WW II guns. And then you have folks like me and my dad who will keep my grandfather's revolver out of circulation.

Last edited:

Jeff #111

According to one of the Inflation calculators on the Internet 1946's $15.00 is approximately $175.00 in 2008. If somebody offered me a nice S&W M&P for $175.00 I'd jump at it.

rogertc1

My father landed in North Africa WW2. He was a Fighting SeaBee and even has a purple heart. He just turned 90 years young last month and still has a driver's licence.
What I got from him was a Remington Ran 1911A1, Colt 1917 revolver and a Inland M1 Carbine. He got them around 1965 through a NRA / Government surplus program for $16.00 to $20. each. I still have the government paperwork but no boxes.

Rog:D

mpage

I've heard stories of them putting out dump barrels on troop ships and telling guys to dump the guns in before pulling into port.

My dad managed to smuggle his 1911A1 past the shake-down (the guy searching his toilet kit saw it in there, but just rolled his eyes and left it alone) but in the late 60's he traded it in for a 2-inch .38 since my mom wouldn't know how to operate an auto when home alone :barf: :barf: :barf:

SilentHitz

Remington Ran 1911A1
OOH,OOH Sell it to me!!:D Yea, I know it's probably not for sale, but if you ever decide to...keep me in mind.:cool: BTW, thank your father for me for his service! Not many ww2 vets left...God bless them all.

ken grant

The guys that really made out were the ones in Europe. There were a lot of Mauser Sporters,Lugers and P38's brought back from WW2.

rickseiko

My maternal Grandfather brought back his 1911. He was at Saipan and Iwo jima. He gave it to a firend who was a cop in Portland. Guy served on the narcotics squad/entry team if I remember right. Gramps figured the officer needed it more than he did.

My father and one of his brothers (my Uncle) were in the navy and didn't have the opportunity to bring any guns back. Dad did manage to get a pair of binoculars, a knife, and several wool blankets out of a pile of stuff that was to be destroyed. He would have got more, but an officer saw his haul and cherry picked the best stuff.

Another Uncle ran a squad of guys that assembled jeeps and other vehicles in England. Again no chance at bring backs.

Last Uncle was a B-17 pilot in the Europe. His last mission was flying a Supply General's staff out of theater. He brought back his 1911 and gave it to his step son. He also brought back an M1 Carbine, which I recently inherited. I know pilots weren't issued M1 Carbines, so he either swiped it or traded for it, but it has value to me greater than money.

I don't regret missing out on the Pistols. I regret not talking to my relatives more about their service before they passed away. Guns are neat, but it was the men (and women) that won the war. If you still have family members who served alive, talk to them. The stories are more important than the steel.

SilentHitz

If you still have family members who served alive, talk to them. The stories are more important than the steel.
Well said, I was very luck to learn all my Dad, grandparents, and other family members had experienced before they passed on...miss them a lot. :(

Edit: lucky that is

Last edited:

JB Books

A small bit of personal advice

I grew up with my grandfather who served in Europe in WWII. Got to hear all kinds of stories growing up. The best ones were about flights to Ireland and Scotland, and the friends he made with the RAF, Free French and Polish pilots. His plane got shot up and his back broken and he was shipped home in 1944, but the best stories were about his fellow airmen and English, Scottish and Irish people he came into contact with.

He's 88 and almost gone. Alzhiemer's set in and moved fast. Probably a matter of weeks now.

Here's my advice: If you have any family members that served in World War II, talk to them, learn their stories. It may be real to many of us, but to our kids it's like the Civil War.

And tell your loved ones what they mean to you NOW, while they can understand. One thing that makes my situation just a little easier to handle is that there is absolutely NO DOUBT that my grandfather knew just how much I loved and appreciated him. And I know he was proud of what I had accomplished. Believe me, I have no regrets, nothing left unsaid, and it makes dealing with this easier.

Just my 2 cents.