WWII .38 Revolvers how did they reload them?

SHR970

rodfac

I tip my hat to you and lift a glass for your service. It took serious brass to fly in an O-1 Birddog in a time and place where Thuds were getting smoked like clockwork. Your bretheren and you went into harms way and by the grace of God some of you came home to an ungrateful people.

I offer a prayer to those who were not as lucky; and they were many.

DMK

Thanks RodFAC. I agree with everything the other guys said.

Thanks for the stories and thank you for your service.

It looks like there was a web gear pouch with ammo loops for carrying extra .38 Special rounds.

http://www.harryviezensfineguns.com...905-victory-model-u-s-navy-issued-pistol-rig/

I believe that is the M-6 pouch, and may have been specific to the Navy.

I'm not having much luck finding anything similar that was Army gear.

I'm getting the impression from some things I'm reading, though, is that those who had revolvers that weren't quite officially issued (Band of Brothers scene where the one paratrooper opens a package from home and finds a .38 S&W sent to him by the town) they would keep their ammo where ever they found room.

DMK

That's a nice link Mike.

I think you are right about the "Victory" and M&P revolvers being mostly Navy and Marine. I have seen references to some Marine NCOs and officers getting to choose between revolver or 1911, but I'm sure that was the very rare case where everything just lined up right with cool supply administration and available old stock.

I suppose it was possible some army guys could have had access to 1917s in the same way, especially in the Pacific where they didn't get the latest and best all the time. Though, I've never heard of any US army combat infantry mentioning getting revolvers through official channels either come to think of it.

Regarding pilots, I've read about Navy and Marine aircrew in the Pacific being issued revolvers and fairly ineffective flare rounds to shoot though them to assist in rescue. I've never noticed any USAAC crew wearing revolvers though.