WTH? Mouseguns?

Kildlawyrs

Some years ago, a couple of guys at the range were making fun of my little Beretta .25 "Jetfire". The Range Master came over, inspected my gun and said to them, "A .25 may not be a cannon, but I've never known anyone one yet who could outrun one".

End of the razzing.

They may be tiny, but you sure as hell don't want to get shot by one.

Chesster

Some years ago, a couple of guys at the range were making fun of my little Beretta .25 "Jetfire".

I have 4 of these I picked up at gunshows at bargain prices over the years. All have been super reliable. I have a .22 S Minx that is not as reliable but until recently, cheap to shoot.

Kildlawyrs

Its a funny thing. Of all the semi-automatics I have, the Jetfires (I have two) have been the most reliable. I own some great larger caliber autos and they are truly good weapons, and I also know that the .25 round is not such a hot round, but then again there is something to be said for a gun that goes "Bang" every time.

All in all though, if what you want is absolute reliability, I say go for a revolver; it is the original "point and click" device.

LanceOregon

"The Mouse That Roared"

Buy a Walther PPS in .40 S&W It is truly the mouse that roars.

It is roughly the same size of your PPK, but is actually lighter in weight and is also thinner too. So it is quite easy to conceal.

Yet, instead of a measly little .380 round, you have a powerful .40 S&W.

40pps_email.jpg

michael t

You can keep you 40 I tried one and will never own another. Like evey one else here the 380 and other mouse rounds work fine . My 380 KelTec works f as does my Bersa, PPK/S ,Colt Mustangs, Heck I have carried my 100 yr old 32 S&W top break lemon squezzer Bet no one wants shot with it either.

40S&W and lite weight don't go hand in hand .

LanceOregon

You can keep you 40 I tried one and will never own another. Like evey one else here the 380 and other mouse rounds work fine . My 380 KelTec works f as does my Bersa, PPK/S ,Colt Mustangs, Heck I have carried my 100 yr old 32 S&W top break lemon squezzer Bet no one wants shot with it either.

Michael, my comments were meant for sundownrider, who stated here that he is also a big fan of the .40 S&W, like myself. Since he is already shooting this caliber in other handguns that he owns, I wanted to mention to him that the PPS is a lighter and more compact platform that can shoot the same round.

I find your comments here to be most strange for someone who has repeatedly stated on this forum that he primarily carries a .45 Auto, and only occasionally carries a .380

40S&W and lite weight don't go hand in hand

There are other factors that affect the handling of a gun, besides just weight. You are greatly overgeneralizing in your comment here, to lump all pistols chambered in .40 S&W together.

My .40 S&W Walther PPS weighs only 1/3 of an ounce less than the Glock 23 ( 20.8 oz vs 21.15 oz ), which is one of the most widely used handguns by law enforcement in the United States today. That difference in weight is totally negligible. The .40 S&W is by far the overwhelming choice of caliber by police agencies in our country.

ejfalvo

I own an variety of caliber pistols and revelvers. Go to the range 4-5 times a month, dry fire when I get off the sofa. I live in a state where I'll never receive a CCW (no one will). I work in another state where a CCW is the "holy grail". I ride the bus/train to work at early and late hours. Bus/train terminals are not the most hospitable locations. I wanted something I could slip into my suit pocket with no second thought.

While I would be most comfortable carrying a 40 or 45, the firearms were just too large (even my XD sub-compact) to drop in my suit. I became intertested in the "mouse guns" when Ruger announced their LCP. Purchased one, shot 150 rounds thru it. Load it with Magtech defense rounds, drop it in my pocket and go to work.

From my perspective, the LCP (and others like it) fits the need I had Admittedly, in a more gun-tolerant state I'd carry one of my larger calibers, but I don't and can't.

As a wise man once said, "a hit with a 380 (22) is better than a miss with a 45", or having no gun at all.

Chesster

I guess we all have our own definition of a mousegun, but to me, it is a small, pocketable, easy to conceal, sub .380 handgun. Usually for size, I think smaller than a PPK.

Tom2

They can be fun just to mess around with. Even if you don't consider carrying them, there are some classics and collectables amongst them and they are interesting to collect, and you can shoot them if you want, unlike genuine debilitated or overly valuable true antiques.

johnbt

"I guess we all have our own definition of a mousegun, but to me, it is a small, pocketable, easy to conceal, sub .380 handgun."

What? No room in your definition for a 9mm Rohrbaugh?
Small, check.
Pocketable, check.
Easy to conceal, check.

My P-32 hasn't been out of the safe since I bought an R9 over a year ago. An R9 with an empty mag weighs 14.3 oz., 12.8 without the mag.

And it's not as long, not as tall and not nearly as heavy as a PPK.

John

Kildlawyrs

Lashlarue:

Is that a NAA Magnum .22? I have a NAA .22 Long Rifle mini revolver. It is a nicely made pocket pistol, but on the whole it is really too small to handle effectively, so I would not rely on it as a self defense weapon (maybe as a backup to a backup?) I do, however, sometimes carry it with a snakeload when out hiking. Fortunately, I've never had to shoot any rattlesnakes with it yet. Hope I never will...