Wow...

SaxonPig

Used up my last $7.95 can of Unique over the summer. The last $12.95 can was gone soon after. Near the bottom of a $17.95 can. The one I just bought at Bass Pro was $32.95. Wow...

Running out of $25 cast lead bullets sized .454 for my early Colt SAAs. A new box is $62.50. Wow...

Still have a few $18.95 primers on hand. Saw some in a shop recently at $42.00 Wow...

condor bravo

Welcome to the New Age I guess. I still have boxes of Win .458 brass marked at 3 dollars something per box. Now it is probably 3 dollars something per case or higher. No other choice than to go with the flow. Recently paid over $250 for five lbs of Trail Boss powder but note that five lbs of TB is equivalent by volume to nine one lb cans of standard powders. This is due to its bulkiness so the price is not as bad as it seems but with hazmat and shipping is still over $50 per pound.

Last edited:

Nick_C_S

The one (1# Unique) I just bought at Bass Pro was $32.95.

Are you sure? That sounds mighty expensive. Granted, I have a nasty habit of not looking at prices, but I'm sure the last time I bought a # of Unique (8/29/14 - Sportsmen's), it couldn't have been more than $20.

This past spring, I bought a # of Vihtavouri N-310 and it was $32.99 - THAT I remember.

emcon5

I'll just drop these here:

attachment.php

attachment.php

condor bravo

Yes the good old times when a carton of primers along with a can or box of anything was under five dollars. But even so we thought those prices were excessive and probably bought less then than we do now.

reddog81

He's correct about $30+ for powder at Bass Pro. I saw that last time I was there.
Near me Sportsman's Warehouse and Scheels are at least $5 cheaper per pound. Of course you have to find the powder before you can buy it.

SaxonPig

Yeah, I thought $33 was mighty high, too. But it was the first powder I've seen on the shelf for 3 years.

I said Unique but that was a mental slip. I bought some 2400. STILL haven't found ANY Unique for sale anywhere.

Ever since the Sandy Hook shooting almost 3 years ago- primers, powder and 22 ammo MIA and ghastly expensive if you do find some. Bullet prices way up but I think that's due to cost of raw metal being sky high.

TimSr

Yeah, that last shortage had me doing some use up too! Most powders are still around $25 here. My $11.00 powders didn't have the hazmat charge back then, either.

Powders_zps0f216c2c.jpg

TailGator

I agree with your "wow"s but I am seeing similar prices, within a couple of bucks, around here. We are paying it because we are out of choices, and the components are still cheaper than finished ammo, which has its own "wow" moments. My sympathy and empathy.

KEYBEAR

I just used up an 8# keg of AA 9 the price was still on it $76.95 .
Not sure when I bought it but some time in the 80,s ..

Sunday I bought 8# keg of the same $172.00 .
So yes things have gone up .

In about 1969 I started shooting Trap and a bag of shot(25#) cost $3.50
I seen late week it now cost over $40.00 .

In 1969 I was making $17.00 an hour and working 6/7 days a week .

Nick_C_S

He's correct about $30+ for powder at Bass Pro. I saw that last time I was there.
Near me Sportsman's Warehouse and Scheels are at least $5 cheaper per pound.

Okay. Now I know. Learn something every day. I'm glad my nearest LGS is a Sportsmen's; and I don't need powder. In fact, I'm going to start asking around my range to see if anybody wants to buy my Unique (2#'s) and TiteGroup (3#'s); as I have no real purpose for either.

Ole Joe Clark

I bought a one pound container of Unique today for $32.00 out the door. The Local shop had 2 eight pounders for sale. Stopped at another LGS and they had bunches of powder, lots of Unique and other Alliant products.

gunnny12

Quote Used up my last $7.95 can of Unique over the summer. The last $12.95 can was gone soon after. Near the bottom of a $17.95 can. The one I just bought at Bass Pro was $32.95. Wow...

Running out of $25 cast lead bullets sized .454 for my early Colt SAAs. A new box is $62.50. Wow...

Still have a few $18.95 primers on hand. Saw some in a shop recently at $42.00 Wow... Quote

Yep all will get better. LOL

They do have them cheaper primers that run at $20.00 per thousand.

Jeff

Sevens

If you choose to oay $32.95 for a single pound of powder...

You just "up voted" that train-wreck awful price. The "wow" is not that they offered that price, the "WOW?!" is that you confirmed, with your wallet that they were smart to price it that way.

kosby

Bought a lb of Unique about a month ago at Cabelas for $24.95 but have seen others reporting it's $30/lb there now.

emcon5

Some times that whole supply & demand thing works out in your favor, sometimes not so much.

If you need it, and the only place that has it is $30/lb, your options are pay it or go without.

Roadkill2228

Here in Canada (Saskatchewan) most of the powders at cabelas and such places runs between 38$ a pound at the cheapest, about 43$ average, and at times for some powders 50$ a pound not joking. It's stupid. Supposedly has something to do with all the craziness down in the states, hoarding and panic buying and such (seriously crazy people). I don't foresee it ever going down again. We've all shown that we're willing to pay this much...give them an inch...