Wow. Sticker shock.

22-rimfire

Buy quality first. The shop you visited sounds a bit high. But the Colt is not that far out of line for these days.

If you think prices are high now, wait until we have 20% annual inflation that is likely to be caused by government borrowing and over spending. It affects prices on everything. That $1000 in the sock drawer will just be worth $800.

new S&w 686

about 6 months ago i purchased a new in the box with papers a S&W 686 (yes the lock kind) out the door $625.00 at my local ACE hardware/gun shop. this past weekend I purchased a new ruger super black hawk 44mag 5.5 barrel, $685 out the door again at my local ACE hardware store/gun shop. both were ordered for me by the management. that includes shipping and i have them in 48 hours. I do my best to shop my local stores. the store does not stock reloading goodies so I am off to Marquette Mi to gander mountain for powder. still cheaper than paying shipping charges.

Fishslayer

No, it's not. It is the fact that a lot of people recognize that paying $400-600 for a classic 20-year old K or N-frame in 90-95% condition is an absolute steal compared to paying $1000+ for an ILS-equipped, MIM-adorned, two-piece-barreled "New Classic" S&W. Doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure that out, and that is why the market is where it is.

^^^ This!;)

dabigguns357

you just have to know where to shop and it aint local(extortion market).I get all my guns online now except for the ones i buy off my friends

Last edited:

540mope

No, it's not. It is the fact that a lot of people recognize that paying $400-600 for a classic 20-year old K or N-frame in 90-95% condition is an absolute steal compared to paying $1000+ for an ILS-equipped, MIM-adorned, two-piece-barreled "New Classic" S&W. Doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure that out, and that is why the market is where it is.
Econ 101.

couldn't have said any better.... S&W's 'brilliant' idea to stop making the good guns, and instead produce IL crap, has made the older Smiths the ones to have. and so many of them were produced, there are still a lot of great deals out there.

sakeneko

What he said. Same's true of the older J-Frames. I bought a just-barely pre-lock S&W Model 60-10 used about a year ago, as my first firearm. I've shot the more recent versions of this gun, as well as a number of other S&Ws of various sizes and antiquity. For me, there's no difference in handling or value. The older gun was lightly used, in superb shape, and as best I can tell has at least as much useful life left to it as a new one would have, and I got it for perhaps $150.00 less.

I don't think that S&W's current guns are junk by any means, but have no reason to think that newer is better either.

N.H. Yankee

I have seen prices almost double in the last 2 years around here on used guns and go up about 60-80 percent on new. I think its more supply and demand than anything because people are panic buying due to the party that's in power.
Sad part is if the Republicans regain control, prices won't reflect the change.

NWPilgrim

I think the "good old days" for prices is long gone. Lots of new shooters in the market now. I think many more gun owners are thinking more now than ever along the lines "two is one and one is none."

When supply has been interrupted for many months it gets people to thinking about the future. Maybe if I want a new handgun for my son in a few years it won't be easy to get or the price will be even higher then. Maybe I should get a replacement now for old Betsy the .30-06 instead of waiting for it to crap out and then be stuck with no rifle.

When inflation really kicks in then today's prices will look way cheap five years from now.