Would you trade a Ruger Service Six 4 inch for a 3 inch S&W 65?

Deaf Smith

Well, that's the offer. And both guns are tight and in good condition.

The 65 is a 65-5 with MIM parts, no Hillary lock, rubber grips.

Deaf

Eazyeach

I'd take the S&W 10 out of 10 times. I just like them better. Nothing wrong with either. I do see 65s for sale more than service sixes though.

mk70ss

I'd actually rather have the Ruger. The SpeedSix and Security Sixes are getting rare around here. I am still looking for one

Obambulate

2" and 3" K-frames are starting to skyrocket in value. The 3" Model 65 is particularly hot. The value is there for a beneficial trade.

Sevens

Ten times over and that is no indictment on the terrific Security Six.

If I had a machine that did it for me, I would spend all my time finding four inch Sec Six's and turning them in to 3" Model 65's. I could retire on the profit but I'd never retire because it would be far too pleasing! :D

Sevens

Wanted to add, and many know but it hadn't been said yet... Three-inch S&W K-frames are particularly pleasing because they offer a shorter barrel than a common 4" but still allow for full length ejector rod and full range of ejection, which is a known deficit of the snub S&W's.

I am so very much NOT a snub revolver guy, never have I warmed up to them, but a 3" K-frame has such a familiar "feel" to it -- if you are a S&W revolver kinda guy and you have never handled a 3" K-frame, you may want to try one, and you also may see the instant magic in one of these.

Funny as I write with such joy... no, I don't own one. Simply, I just don't care to carry a revolver so I haven't found the "need" to chase one. But I could see me adding one if the moment were right. These are special revolvers.

dahermit

I depends upon what you intend on using the guns for. Concealed carry, nightstand, three inch. Range shooting, hunting, etc., four inch.

Deaf Smith

What if the S&W was a 65-6.... MiM parts, firing pin on frame, but no Hillary lock?

But it's in mint condition. Must not have been fired but a few times at most.

Deaf

agtman

Would you trade a Ruger Service Six 4 inch for a 3 inch S&W 65?
Well, that's the offer. And both guns are tight and in good condition.

Deaf: is the Ruger a "police service" fixed sight .357mag? If it is, I'd say "no" to the deal.

Not saying the 3" Smith 65 isn't nice, but I've got a blue Service Six that was a retired cop's duty gun (i.e., carried a lot, shot very little).

It's a really great shooter and will remain durable over time.