Would you sell all you had to....

BlueTrain

Would you sell all you had (your guns, that is) to buy something really special (another gun, that is)? This is sort of a pearl of great value thread.

I've been getting rid of guns over the last twenty years because no one else in the family has the least bit of interest in them and I no longer do any shooting. Yet my interest in them is as strong as ever. Only my income isn't. The guns I still have are ordinary and one is obsolete (a revolver). So I am still paring down the collection, trying my very best to wind up with the perfect and most desirable gun (Ha!), at least for me.

Personally, a Colt fits that specification to a T and why on earth I don't have one already, I don't know. I've had several, all desirable and mostly perfect. I've also owned imitations, so I know the difference. Doesn't matter which Colt. They're all pretty much the same, the differences being in the size and in some of the minor details. Personally, I've always like the lightweight Commander model but all models have something other models don't. I think I've owned most variations except a Gold Cup or one of the new models introduced in the last few years. One in particular caught my eye the other day.

The New Agent seems to be a nice gun for certain specific purposes. I realize it is a blue gun, not stainless, but that's okay. The one I saw was 9mm and that's fine, too. I'm not one to be devoted to a single cartridge. But trade away everything? Well, now, Colts are shockingly expensive these days and that New Agent was the lowest priced one they had. Browning Hi-Powers are almost equally desirable and I've had a couple of those, too, and they are up there in price, too. Nothing like having expensive tastes, is there? It's probably a good thing Colt isn't making their old pre-war .380 pistol, too (and I've had a couple of those).

What would you do? What would Jeff Cooper do?

Sparks1957

Nope... I might sell one, but all of them? No way.

I would probably just save until I could buy the new one I wanted. I allow myself enough money each year to buy 4-5 cheaper guns, or I could spend it on 1-2 expensive ones... my choice.

I tend to acquire guns, not get rid of them.

nhsmoker

I guess it depends. Personally I wouldn't because I love to shoot them. But you said you don't shoot anymore so If I were you and I really wanted a particular gun than I just may sell of the rest for it. I guess it would be like cars if I had a bunch of cheaper less exciting cars maybe I would sell them for a nice Mercedes or something.

kimbershot

i've sold several weapons to acquire a "special one"-in the past-those that i have no further use for. i recently moved to another state that has limited some of my range/hunting opportunities so i may sell off a ruger 44mag bisley-cz452 varmint and a colt compact (edc-replace with a glock, as weather is much warmer at new address). my criteria is that i use what i own--no wall hangers or closet queens.:cool:

Nope.

I might get rid of a few, but there's no one gun out there that is so special that it trumps the others that I have.

My 25-5, 24-3, 58-1, both of my 28s and all three of my 19s?

Extremely special.

Grant D

Went to the local gun store looking for a Colt Commander XSE Lightweight.
He called Colt while I was there and they said 16 months before they could get one to him! I guess I'll try to find a used one.

Laserlips

FWIW:

Jeff Cooper would just buy a nice 1911...

I've sold a couple of pistols recently that I didn't shoot any more to finance the purchase of a Boberg XR9-S..

Yeah, I know, Jeff would say a nine is just a 45ACP set on "stun", but I'm old, and all I want is a very good CONCEALABLE pistol for personal defense..

Not too many 45ACP's out there that are really concealable.. I guess the small Kimbers are but my friend has one and I just never cared for it. I'm not a "cock and lock" fan, and a lefty too boot.

Right now my daily carry in 9MM is my LC9, which I really like, and for back pocket carry in 380 it's either my LWS380, or LCP..

The only "Colts" I've ever owned (and still own) are a couple of older series Cobra's, and a nickle DS.

I like the old snubby's, but seldom shoot them anymore, and never carry 'em.

Just ramblin'

Best Wishes,

Jesse

100_5032.jpg

BlueTrain

As it happens, the shop I've been visiting a little too often lately has both a lightweight Commander and a lightweight full-size Government Model. But I live in a high rent district. The New Agent I mentioned was on sale, probably because it was a 9mm in a case full of .45s. Frankly, I'd love to have any of them. However, I owned, probably 20 years ago, a lightweight Officer's ACP, which of course was only made in .45 ACP. A perfectly delightful pistol, nice size and everything, but it was a handful to shoot. Understand that I mean only that it had a heavy recoil. It wasn't sharp, like a .357 magnum K-frame, and the muzzle blast was no worse than anything else but you had to hang onto it. In my hands, at least, it was not something for double taps.

mo84

I wouldn't sell any of my guns to purchase another gun. All the guns I buy have a special purpose and none of them out weigh the other. the only time I might sell a gun for another is if I bought the gun of a buddy just to help them out but even then I can not really see me getting rid of it. My guns are kinda like tools, once bought, they stay for a life time or untill it no longer does its job. If there is a special gun I want I'll save for it, took 2 years before I could afford my 500 mag; I could have sold my other guns to get it sooner but then I would probably get bored having only one gun to shoot.

dajowi

I'm missing something here. You're going to sell your guns to buy a special gun but you don't shoot anymore? A gun you don't shoot or can't shoot is a paperweight.

44 AMP

Staff
Cooper made it plain several times over the years that he felt it was better to own a few fine guns than a lot of lesser ones.

Personally, there is no single gun on earth that is worth (to me) the entire collection I have aquired over the last 40 years. And its all about what they are worth to you, unless your financial situation means selling them for cash to keep a roof over your head or eat. Then their current market value comes into play.

Does your gun shop do lay-a-way? Trades?
You could move to a lower rent home, perhaps?:rolleyes:

Its all about what is most important to you, and your satisfaction. Over the years I have regretted selling or trading several guns. Not that I wasn't happy with what I got, mind you, just that later I missed what I gave up.

Sell your collection to buy a single gun (even a nice Colt) and if later you are not as happy as you thought you would be, then where are you?

Better to have patience and put aside a few dollars every week (or even just the spare change left at the end of the week) and wait for it to accumulate. Then when you have enough, get that special gun. The time needed may even make it more valuable to you.

Sell part of your collection? ok, if the one is THAT important, but your whole collection? I wouldn't.

BlueTrain

Let me elaborate: I don't have a collection. I've never owned more than twenty firearms at once and now I'm down to three. I am saving but not for a gun. I'm 65 and I'm saving for retirement, whenever that will be, if ever. Moving? Sometime but not within five years. Of course the shop does layaways (60 days) and takes trades. No, they aren't paperweights, although I will admit the rifles were the most frustrating.

Likewise, I'm not thinking of doing this to make myself happier. I have always regretted getting rid of guns, right down to the .22 Beretta. True, I have regretted buying some but that's another story. Anyway, I'm getting too old to have a lot of patience.

Daryl

Nope, not me.

I have firearms for pretty much any use I can imagine, and wouldn't sell any to get something different. If I want something else, I just save my pennies 'till I have enough of 'em.

Daryl

BlueTrain

You'd have to have a truckload of pennies these days. Elmer Keith spoke of some of his friends that only had one gun, some of which were on the unusual side, too, like a copper-plated Colt SAA. Even Skeeter Skelton mentioned doing the same thing twice, selling or trading "most" of his guns. The first time, I think, was when the S&W Combat Masterpiece came out, which was later called the Model 15. He also mentioned, by the way, that out his way, some models of guns that were listed in catalogs were very hard to find. Later, he mentioned doing the same thing again when air-conditioning for cars came out.

nate45

Ideas for a new Colt

If I had only one Colt and wanted a semi-auto I'd get the Special Combat Government. I like all of them, they have a Carry Model with Novak sights, or you could change out the Bomar type on the other models if thats what you wanted, or keep them.

LinkClick.aspx

If you want a revolver the new SAAs are some of the best Colt has ever made. The only drawback is they are single actions.

Those are the new Colts I'd pick for me.

For an older Colt, barring a 1st generation SAA, I'd probably get a Trooper Mk III for the revolver and a pre-Series 70, or a good early Series 70 for a semi-auto choice.

reticle

Not likely. I have too many pearls already. It would have to be one real special pearl. I suppose if it cured cancer everytime I pulled the trigger, that would be special enough....

buck460XVR

If I had only three guns, and two were ordinary and one was obsolete as in the case of the OP, I'd have no problem getting rid of them to get something of quality....if they had no sentimental value. But my collection of guns at this point contains mostly quality firearms and those that aren't quality previously belonged to someone who meant something to me. I am fortunate, my heirs are gun lovers also. They will take good care of them.