Would you buy a "Smart Gun" if they worked?

Would you buy a "Smart Gun" if they really worked?

• Yes

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • No

Votes: 107 69.9%
  • Only if they truly worked!

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Smart guns are a conspiracy!

Votes: 17 11.1%

• Total voters

MeekAndMild

Only if it came with those bullets which can go around corners or back up if need be, the ones with the little moustaches and cowboy hats like in the "Roger Rabbit" cartoon. But then again they weren't really that smart.

Ryder

This that thing that requires the user to wear a ring? No thanks, don't wear jewlery, not gonna start now.

sm

walking slowly into discussion where Tamara is...

Tamara, my position is thus:

I feel society/parents are not always passing down the responsible behaviors such as passed down and taught to me. I feel society and parents are expecting someone else to take care of them...kids see this, or are taught this and expect or demand to be taken care of.

Firearms: We only know of each other from this forum-we have never met in person. If I open a cyl, or rack back the slide and show you that the firearm is unloaded--and then close the firearm--I would not be offended and WOULD EXPECT you to check for yourself the firearm is SAFE. I would do the same, if the roles were reversed--and I bet you would be watching me and expecting me to do the same.

I keep a mag topped off, carry extra mags. When I did carry, or when I do use a revolver, yep, keep a speedloader, at least extra rounds.

If I do not know the manual of arms--I ask. I feel it is my responsibility to ask and be shown the proper and safe handling of that firearm. In turn I take the responsibilty to ask if someone is familar, and teach if necessary.

I'm not implying that I am always right, or that my upbringing was perfect. Lots of parents and members of society are teaching and passing along morals, values and ethics. IMO though, there are those who expect to be taken care of and teach this to their kids.
Maybe this always been the case, and I didn't see it. Maybe as I get older I do notice a difference and IT IS different .

Tamara, you are very articulate,knowledgeable, and have quite a wit about you. I admire that. So go easy on a 47 year old...I'm just now getting some "book learnin'" long overdue. ;)

Rovert

Not on a bet.

I want a gun that, if I'm disabled, or not home when an intruder comes prowling, can be used by my family.

AR-10

Tamara,

For me, the issue with batteries is they always seem to fail at an inconvenient time. A battery either works or it is dead. I hate throwing away something that works, so sooner or later it will be dead when I expect it to work.

The negative issues surrounding Smart Gun technology are too numerous to mention, although most of them have been covered here.

I would not buy one unless I was absolutely forced to. If I owned one, I would never consider it reliable for self defense.

BenW

Much as I like technology, and would probably get one just to goof around with, I don't believe I would depend on one to save my life. I like to SCUBA dive too, and use a dive computer for that, but I also carry analog gauges as backup and remember my times and depth in case the electronic thingy goes haywire. If the smart gun goes haywire, I have to carry a second non-smart gun as backup for that. Plus with a smart gun, I can't pass firearms back and forth to my buddies while out plinking.:)

Crimper-D

SURE I'd buy a 'smart' gun...if the price were right

A gun is a gun... Nothing I can't "fix" with a hammer and a punch to bypass the PC 'Bells & Whistles: ;)
"Gee Whiz Fellas! - the piece must be 'broken'... if worked when I needed it to!:rolleyes: :D :barf:

joeoim

so whats the point for a smart gun anyway

Like re1973 I too was raised to accept responsibility for my actions. There was always a 300 savage and a 25-35 Winchester hanging up in our livingroom and we knew, they were always loaded. There were 4 of us kids and I don't ever remember taking one down and messing with it. WE KNEW NOT TOO, We'd have got our asses whipped good and we knew it. And if a neighbor heard it they wouldn't have thought of interfering or reporting anything. It's called disipline. Something that you don't see too much anymore now that we've took to reading books to raise kids. I don't remember when I was allowed to carry our old 22 single shot my brother kept in the bedroom, but I suspect it was the winter I killed my first muledeer, and I believe I was 10 or 11. Out (by myself) probably 2 or three miles behind the house in the hills in waste deep snow. (Took us till midnight to get it home) Some of my friends were carrying 30-30s by the time they were 11 or 12. I think I was 13 when I inherated the 25-35. WE DIDN'T NEED SMART GUNS THEN AND WE DON'T NEED THEM NOW. You wouldn't need to lock your guns up now if society would quit meddeling with you and let you raise your own kids. Cuz if you didn't teach them not to mess with other peoples stuff and they were over to my house they would learn it here.

PaladinVC

Depends on what your definition of "works" is.

For me, a smart gun that "works" would make an informed decision about when to fire. It would consider the target, what's behind the target, the motives of the holder, and what part of the target it would hit. If it was pointed at something I don't want shot, which it would know via synaptic connection with my brain, then it wouldn't shoot. If it was pointed at something I do want shot, it would hit it every time. If I pointed it at something I want shot and there were cute girls watching, it would hit it three times in rapid succession, then shoot not-quite-so-well when my buddy tries it. If I got all drunk and decided to do something irresponsible with it, it would refuse to operate and give me a stern lecture on the importance of self-control. In my mother's voice.

Other people get ahold of it, the gun decides what to do. Friends, family, and police officers would be more likely to gain my approval, but ultimately, it would transmit the decision to my brain via a secure frequency, and I could decide. Approval means the usual rules of what to shoot kick in, denial results in an annoying beep and little spikes shooting out of the grip.

Powered by magic and carrying a lightweight magazine that holds 400 rounds, it could never fail, either in its decision-making capacity or in the more traditional firearm ways. Also, it would make accurate stock market predictions and give winning lottery numbers.

That's what I call a smart gun.

Otherwise, no thank you.

Torquemada

I'd happily take a "Judge Dredd" Lawgiver.

Blows up if an unauthorized user tries it.

AP, heatseeker, ricochet rounds, and others I don't remember; pistol-sized (but not concealable) but more accurate than a long arm; single or "auto" fire modes; voice commands (or maybe Dredd announced the cartridge so the reader would know?); Comic-book-sized magazines (never needs reloading); never a failure in well over 100 issues of 2000 AD Presents and Judge Dredd or anything else he ever appeared in that I have.

Dangus

I would not want to risk any family member not being able to use the weapon if needed, or for that matter, any friends not being able to use it when needed. I don't want my own guns used against me, but that's why I put some thought into how I store them and how I defend myself with them.

45King

All guns, "smart" or otherwise, are mechanical devices which can malfunction. KISS, and it's less likely to malf. I want my defensive weapons to be as close as possible to being 100% reliable, so no "smart" technology for me, thank you.

BTW, it only took me since a few weeks after TFL came on line (I was the 15XXth to join,) but I finally reached post #1000 and this is it!
I may not have much to say, but you can rest assured that when I do speak, it may or may not be worth listening to?!?!

Mannlicher

There is no such thing as a 'smart gun', only smart (or not so smart ) People. Any 'smart gun' will certainly fall afoul of Murphy's Law at the wrong time.

george miller

if a "significant" other needed your smart gun but couldnt get the so called smart tech. to allow them to use the gun the its a useless pile of junk. better used as a hammer.smart guns also take away the responsability of the gun owner.young children will still be curious-the smart guns owner may think..its safe,its a smart gun.better to teach children the dangers.my son got curious,i took the gun out of the locked cabinet,insured it was empty and removed the mag.showd him the gun,took him out and latershowed him first hand at the range.at 5 he knows the difference between his toy guns and my real ones.smart guns?nice hammers.great anchors for fishing."just say no to smart guns"

rod

Yep I'd buy one ... If:

- The police and military were using them as regular issue weapons (after all they want to be safe too, don't they?)

- The technology was throughly tested and it was determined that the device did not detract from the reliability of the gun or in any way increase the time it would take to bring the weapon into action.

- The technology did not include any type of activation based on wireless transmission. (This would open my gun up to someone else's control)

In fact I would prefer to use a smart gun that met the above conditions for the same reasons I prefer to use a gun that has a working safety.

And to invite even more controversy ... I think us gunneys ought to consider pursuing and embracing smart gun technology 'cause if we don't implement it, it will be implemented by the antis for us.

I think that in particular the third point about wireless tranmission (which would allow your gun to be turned on or off by remote control) will be an avenue that the antis will pursue with this technology if we don't watch it.

Blackhawk

In anticipation of getting a Rohrbaugh, I've rassled this question a bit. Previously, I was of the NO WAY, NO HOW persuasion, but the little Rohrbaugh comes with or without a magnetic trigger lock "switched" via a ring. No batteries, and magnets are good for way longer than anybody knows.

On the negative side:

* no ring, no shoot.
* ?

On the positive side:

* the lock can be easily removed
* some states are likely to require them if they're available, so one might be "investment protection"
* you're less likely to get shot with your own gun in a social encounter with a BG
* rings can be made up for your SO, etc.
* ?

Anyway, I decided to get the Rohrbaugh with the magnetic safety since its use is entirely optional, I'll learn something, and I might learn to trust it. Besides, some poor schlub unfortunate enough to be stuck in one of the People's Republics might REALLY want to buy it from me but can't without the lock....

The real bottom line is "never say never...."