Would you buy a "Smart Gun" if they worked?

Would you buy a "Smart Gun" if they really worked?

• Yes

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • No

Votes: 107 69.9%
  • Only if they truly worked!

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Smart guns are a conspiracy!

Votes: 17 11.1%

• Total voters

Jeeper

If they were as reliable as normal guns would you buy one?

I think I would when I have kids some day.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
If you...

...want to see a smart gun "truly work", hand a P7 to someone who doesn't know what it is. ;)

cslinger

Mmmm would I buy one?

Yes, I would probably buy one but just because I do like the idea of gadgets and toys and I am collecting the whole firearm set.

The real question is what would I grab or keep by me for the reliable protection of me and mine........that would be an old school revolver or SIG without any funky computer chips or magnetic relays to get fried, thank you very much.

I agree with Tamara P7 comment. One of the most innovative firearms I have ever seen.

Smart Guns in theory are a very cool idea. I am a Sci Fi geek and if the technology were as reliable as a firearm without then it would probably be a nice thing to have. The problem I see with this is people falling back on and relying on the technology to keep other people, kids etc. from getting and using the gun.

I am more a rely on your brain not the gadget kind of person and I don't think this technology is a substitute for a good way of securing the firearm when not in use or keeping it in your diirect control, ie on body. Gadgets and mechanics will always fail, that is why we always need to rely on the saftey between our ears.

Chris

foghornl

I'll stick with my "stupid handguns", the Ruger Vaquero and KP-90. They only know how to put the bullet downrage, where I point.

LiveWire

If a smart gun really worked, it wouldn't be a smart gun.

A gun that was really smart would be a member of the NBA, a Versace fashion model, or the executive chairman of a savings & loan outfit.

Izzy monay. ;)

(I'll shtick wit my dumbass dunce guns.)

seeker_two

Of course not!

I'll do the thinking for ALL of us...
2ar15smilie.gif

Betty

Heck no. Smart guns just make people dumb. Makes the gun take all the responsibility in case something bad does happen.

"The computer chip failed when little Billy got a hold of the gun that was just laying on the kitchen table. We're going to sue the gun manufacturer now because the gun is defective."

brownlow

People question the reliability of a semiauto vs a revolver for Golly-gosh-darnit-it-has-to-work situations.

So adding another layer of coplexity is going to help?

No. I wouldn't.

WGBV

dZ

smart guns will open up a whole new market of gun owners.

now ask yourself this:

how many gun owners only have one gun?

Mr. Smartgun Owner will need to take his new purchase to the range.
There he meets Mr. Glock Owner and Mr. Colt 1911 Owner.
They are very helpful and assist Mr. Smartgun Owner in his stance
and soon have him hitting black at 25 yards.

Mr Keltec Owner shows up and offers some pointers on ammo selection and price.
Mr. Smartgun Owner has such an enjoyable day he decides to buy a Gun Magazine.

That night he surfs the web and finds TFL.

3 weeks later he owns a Remington 870, a Glock, and finds a really good deal on 30 round AR15 magazines.

pdmoderator

Despite earlier pezzing and moaning,

I would buy one if they really worked, and if it was affordable. I don't want to have my own gun used against me any more than anyone else.

By that, I mean if they worked well enough that the police ditched the non-personalized ones.

As far as the problem of a kid picking up my gun, I believe I have that part under control with "dumb safe" technology.

- pdmoderator

Lavan

Absolutely YES!

With the "steady cam" technology for camcorders, I would JUMP at the chance to buy a gun that would compensate for my aiming error.

Oh.

That isn't what you meant by SMART gun?

Can I change my vote?

Foxy

I'd buy one if the smart-gun technology was as reliable as the rest of the gun.

I kind of wonder what the downside is. Let's say for an instance, that there was a 1911 with smart gun technology that in no way affected the mechanical reliability, accuracy, ergonomics, etc. The smart gun technology was built into the grip panels, weighed no more than normal grips, and (for the purposes of this), psychically knew who was shooting it, and was powered by a tiny fusion reactor that lasted two hundred years on a single battery pack.

You could authorize/deny any individual to shoot it.

What's the downside of authorizing yourself, your significant other, but not authorizing your toddler until he was at an age old enough to be responsible for the firearm? What's the downside of going on a long drive with a friend, and authorizing your friend for the duration of the trip (in case something goes wrong and he winds up with the pistol), and then de-authorizing him at the end of the trip?

Bear Flare

Not just "no", "HECK NO". Speaking as an engineer, putting all those fiddley bits in the trigger mechanism and running it off a battery is the height of folly in a dangerous situation. You'll need a technical certification to maintain them.

Also, smart guns would take the thinking responsibility away from the owner and accidents will still occur.

I can see people wrapping the ID wristband around the gun during storage so they are both easy to find. I can see kids sneaking the ID band or ring so the gun will work when they play with it. I can see the mechanism being jammed by an unfortunate blob of pocket lint. I can see people disabling rather than fixing the lock mechanism when it breaks. I can see people disabling the smart lock out of principal (me). :p

Too expensive, too risky, and oh yeah, IT DON'T EXIST in a workable form!

Bear Flare

pdmoderator

What's the downside of going on a long drive with a friend, and authorizing your friend for the duration of the trip (in case something goes wrong and he winds up with the pistol), and then de-authorizing him at the end of the trip?
Uhm, making a mistake so that you've de-authorized yourself. Or, worse, so that your friend is authorized for every day except the one when he really needs to shoot.

How likely is that? Is it more or less likely than being threatened with your own gun? I dunno.

- pdmoderator

TallPine

One of the nicest things about guns is that they are a simple and solid mechanical device that doesn't beep at you or have stupid error messages displayed on some LED.

A gun designed and built 100 years ago is still entirely workable and useful today (given any knid of reasonable care).

Electronic devices today have a life cycle of maybe 18 months, during which you never do figure out how the darn thing works.

No, thanks.