Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Yes.

Votes: 45 38.1%
  • If the price is right, I would.

Votes: 64 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MikeG

In milsurps, a dirty bore can hide the effects of corrosive primed ammunition. Otherwise, a dirty gun doesn't deter me if its in good condition. I always take them down, clean, inspect and relube them then reassemble anyway.

WV_gunner

I'd buy a dirty gun, I have bought many that way. A lot of people don't realize autos jam because they aren't cleaned. For instance a Remington 597 I believe it was had some issues. Took it apart, and it was extremely filthy. And many used gun stores don't bother cleaning the guns. I'm not sure why, but they don't. A gun that looks a little rough usually just needs some cleaning and it'll look and function like new.

tony pasley

Bought and old dirty1911a1 back in 1980 got it home cleaned it up good and have a nice Union Switch & Signal WWII pistol for my collection

Walklightly

For me, it would be a case by case. But rust would really turn me off, but if the price was right (Almost free), I might take the gamble. Live and learn.

If you take it home and find out it's junk or unshootable, you can always call the guy and let him know, and see what he does about it, but, you did make the deal as is, so I wouldn't expect him to offer your money back.

If he's a dealer, maybe if you still trust him, he might give you a good deal in the future, because buying a used gun is alway a gamble no matter what.

My brother, got the wrong used gun from an order that was a better deal, he called the guy up, and he sold my brother the right gun for about half price. My bro scored both ways. Of course these were Police trade in's, so I'm sure the guy on the other end didn't lose. But two for one?

WV_gunner

I remember last year my dad bought 2 old H&R 12 gauges for $35 each. These guns probably hadn't been cleaned in many years. The bores were orange, and they were covered in gunk. I'd really be surprised if they were ever cleaned. Well, he sold them for $100 to his cousin. First thing he did was shoot them. Although I consider that dumb, after he shot them, they looked pretty good inside. He said the best way to get rust out is to shoot it, not something I'd do. As far as I know, they were never actually cleaned.

BPowderkeg

When I read the title, I thought you were referring to stolen guns. LOL!

my thoughts also, i had a chance to buy a Ruger .44 Mag. Super Blackhawk that was used to murder two people.., ALLEGEDLY !! only $50.00 ! i DID NOT, a friend of mine snapped it up before i could.

on the other hand, i have bought several revolvers very cheap that the owners said was "shot out", upon closer inspection, i found out the bore was seriously leaded up from using cast lead bullets, i plugged the barrel and filled it with Mercury, let it set over night, next day removed the Mercury, run a wire brush thru the bore a few times and, "walla", a shiny bright new bore lay under all that lead build up, i kept a Ruger Blackhawk .357 Mag. and a Colt SAA .45, all the others i sold and doubled my "investment" $$$$

vranasaurus

A dirty gun doesn't bother me. I believe most guns get harmed more from over cleaning than being left dirty.

I don't clean my guns after every trip to the range. I just wipe them down and make sure they are oiled to prevent rust. Unless you shoot corrosive ammo there is just no need to clean them all the time.

KBP

Most of the guns I buy are dirty. New and used. Dirty can be cleaned. Don't buy an abused or worn out gun! My idea of a clean gun is different than most non-collectors or once or twice a year hunters!

ttdub

NEVER! Dirty means not kept up usually. If it's dirty when presented to a buyer, how can you expect them to clean it when not trying to sell it?

dabigguns357

I have bought many police trade in's and in most cases they were really dirty, i still bought them.I have bought several gems from friends that were dirty and all they need was a good clean up.

Yea i'll buy dirty guns,now i admit once they come to me,they take a bath and stay clean till i shoot them and then they get cleaned again.I have a 686 that looks like it's hardly been shot because i go so far as to even clean the cylinder burn rings off,but thats me.

Chris_B

NEVER! Dirty means not kept up usually. If it's dirty when presented to a buyer, how can you expect them to clean it when not trying to sell it?

You need to be an informed buyer, is all. This 1978 Colt was as dirty as a pig on his day off when I bought it last year. It's in almost new condition inside and out. It is now kept as clean as a new pin :)

mk4s70a.jpg

Not a chance.
Whenever there is cash to buy another Enfield etc, I bring a cleaning rod and a few patches plus a bore light to gun shows.
If any seller ever were to object to running a patch down a bore, I might be suspiscious that the seller is hiding something, and that he/she is a cheat.

I can't imagine some typical guy finding the time to stuff down potato chips/popcorn in front of the tv (or Youtube)....and then drive Sat. morning to a show (or shop) to offer a gun for sale, which has a dirty bore, not just a very thin layer of dust.

Now... if a large number came from an estate sale the previous day or two, and the seller has other serious personal problems, maybe so. But not with just one or two rifles which have been around for weeks.

Last edited:

Chris_B

Ignition Overide, isn't that the same thing as saying you'll buy a dirty Enfield after you check out the barrel? Respectfully, you didn't clean anything but the barrel in your inspection.