Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Yes.

Votes: 45 38.1%
  • If the price is right, I would.

Votes: 64 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uncle Buck

Just curious how many people would buy used gun that was dirty?

I just picked up two rifles for a pretty nice price. Once I got them home and really started looking at them I decided to try them as shooters instead of parts/projects guns.

The bores on both of them looked terrible and I thought the rifling might have been shot out (Copious amounts of scrubbing revealed they are nice). The chambers were filthy and on one of them, I could not even close the bolt on the round.

After cleaning them I took them out and shot a small spinning target at 89 yards.

Sevens

Buy them in their dirty state, usually the price reflects the fact that they look far from perfect. Cleaning usually reveals how nice they are.

Dirt wouldn't stop me a bit and I thoroughly enjoy cleaning handguns.

Carry_24/7

For me it states that the owner took no pride in ownership, and probably provided sub-par maintenance....I'd pass without a second thought.

joe45c

I bought a 1100 shotgun that was nice looking in the shop, But when i got it home and disasemble it (like i always do), it was really cruded up, I really believe it had never been completly taken down. I pretty sure it wouldn't have functioned, I cleaned it up and it never has failed me. So yea, i would buy a dirty gun,

Salmoneye

Would I buy them dirty?

Have done, and will again...

As stated earlier, the price usually reflects what the seller can't see...

Bought a LOADED Ruger Blackhawk a few weeks back for a song...

Reason it was loaded is that the Widow found it in her husband's basement cave when cleaning after his death...Moisture had gotten to it...Surface rust all over...Loading gate would not open...Hammer would not cock, and cylinder would not turn...

Took me all of half an hour to get it cleaned and oiled to firing condition...Cartridges in it were original Winchester Black Talons...

She aint the prettiest girl in town, but she is one hell of a shooter...

Yeah...Gimme your tired, unwashed...And dirty...

:cool:

C0untZer0

Yep

I bought a used Glock G34 that was basically only wiped down.

And it was pretty wet...

But I had such faith in Glock's customer service that I purchased it. I thought it was probably even more dirty in the nooks and crannies, and when I bought it, brought it home and field stripped it, my suspicions about it were correct.

Behind the extractor was black sludge. It only gets that way if the owner is oiling it but not cleaning it out back there. It was fricken black sludge - the consistency of toothpaste.

Well, except for some light copper fouling, she's pretty much clean now... runs like a champ, never had a problem.

AK103K

Hell, the new ones are dirty. :)

You take your chances with a dirty bore, and unless they let you wet and dry patch it, what are you going to do? Outside appearances are not always an indication.

My buddy got two M1's off an older guy he was doing work for as partial payment for his services. Both looked great and well cared for on the outside, but the bores were a little "dirty". I was looking for another M1 at the time, and we did a swap. When I ran a patch down the bore before shooting it, I quickly realized it wasnt "dirty", it was trashed. It appears someone had fired corrosive through it a long time before, and didnt clean it properly, leaving it badly pitted. The best it would do at 100 yards, was 12-15". My buddy said to take the other one and see how it was. Basically the same thing.

Ive bought a bunch of dirty used guns over the years, and the above case was really the only exception as far as problems go. I still dont get people not cleaning their guns, but what are you going to do? Not everyone takes care of their stuff I guess.

silentargus

I did once, and never will again. The gun was a (heavily) used Henry AR-7, which came at a price that my 19-year-old brain just didn't question but should have. Dirty enough to show on an all black gun, wouldn't cycle because the extractor was shot, the chamber face around the barrel (polymer on the AR-7) was all chewed up from FTFs and FTEs, and to add insult to injury there was a ring of lead in the barrel so thick I'm surprised it didn't kaboom when I test fired it.

Long story short, the gun got fixed, busted and 'adjusted' parts all replaced, and now works just fine for what it was intended (plinker and compact travel take-along). It'd have been cheaper and much less trouble to just buy a new one, though... which I did later anyway because I wanted another to keep at the family's weekend place.

I'd buy a used gun again, but never again one that the merchant didn't even consider worth wiping the crud off of before selling. Maybe I'll change my tune when/if I learn a bit of DIY gunsmithing, but otherwise? I'll spend the extra money for something that was better cared for.

overkill0084

My last 1911 was dirty when I bought it. In a way it helped me with the purchase decision. Because, since it was used and already dirty, the shop didn't have any problem with me test firing it. Test firing it clenched the deal.

doofus47

I bought a Winchester69 online once and I almost returned it b/c the bore was so gunked up. I used some elbow grease instead and it turned out looking very nice. It's actually the most accurate rifle I own, I think.

Sevens

I love it, LOVE IT, when posters vehemently claim that they will not consider buying a dirty gun or NEVER buy a used gun.

More for me! :D

shamelessinct

Bought a Star PD for $50.00 once from a fellow LEO when it wouldn't function at a qualification. It was his "back up" and rode in an open gun rug under the front seat of his car for countless years. After spending an hour cleaning out gunk, old grease, dried grass, half eaten ham sandwiches, Etc., it functioned fine. Best $50.00 I ever spent.:)

sigcurious

Yep. Although inadvertently, in the future I suspect I'll be a little more thorough. Until I have cash in hand and impulse buy again lol. :D

That's what happened with my HP-DA, the shop had cleaned it up on the outside and I didn't know enough at the time to ask about disassembling it to check the insides. Got it home and the inside was filthy, I think of myself as a little liberal with the oil at times, but whoever had it before me must have been shooting it super super wet.

icedog88

When I buy used at the LGS, the previous owners hardly ever clean them before selling. Never had a problem and will continue to buy them in that condition.

wogpotter

I voted "never" why? because the previous owner was a slob & careless as well. Dirt to me is a sign of poor ownership & sloppy use & I don't need to pick up other peoples troubles.

Pahoo

Most clean up, just fine !!!

I have and would do so again. That is if it passes the rest of my inspection. I routinely take in dirty "Orphans", especially M/L's. Rework them and send them off to a better home. Currently have a Colt Peacemaker Bunt-line that has some missing parts. It was a real nightmare when I brought it home. It's a good shooter, just hard to eject empties. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

22-rimfire

"Clean" is not a condition for sale if I am interested in the firearm. But I might not even handle a really beat up rifle that's on the shelf. They are usually pretty dirty also; it goes with the territory.