Would this Rifle be too big for Deer Hunting

Scorch

:eek: Kinda the ultimate magnum! But considering the armor deer are evolving that requires 1,000+ ft-lbs of energy to cleanly kill a deer (as opposed to 600 ft-lbs 30 years ago, and 100-200 ft lbs about 100 years ago), this might be a good investment. You would be able to hunt deer with that for many years before they get armored enough to shrug that off.

tedmac

LOL, well if it is used for deer hunting please video the shot. Also, call your orthopod for a shoulder surgery appt.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Sure you can but it has to be shot offhand with no support or it isn't a sporting proposition. The other caveat is the deer has to be a minimum of 800 yards away and at least 10-12 years old because when you hit him all his progeny from the last 4 years is going to feel the hit. Do you have a really big freezer? :D

FrankenMauser

Yes, it would be too big.

Idaho, for example, has a 16 lb weight limit for rifles*. The limit was put in place, to specifically prevent .50 BMG and larger weapons from being used to hunt big game. The cartridges have not been banned, but you have to be tough enough to use them in a shoulder-fired weapon, that weighs no more than 16 lbs. (Even if you think you're tough enough... Your doctor will disagree, when your torn retina and bloody nose take you to his office.) A niche rifle was designed to combat this limitation: The Desert Rhino. Few were made. Most remain unfired. ;)

*I believe the limit is for all weapons, but don't recall for certain. If it specified only "rifles", we'd certainly see people building 180 lb "pistols" in .50 BMG. (Technically an "Any Other Weapon", since it would not be designed to be fired with a single hand, would not be designed to be shoulder fired, and would not be a shotgun.)

Rifleman1776

The recoil did not appear to be very severe. It probably has some kind of inernal recoil absorbing system.
On one of the TV African safari hunting shows a guy brought down an elephant with a .50bmg from a Barrett. He was in the prone position for the shot.

Gehrhard

Friend stand hunted with a .50 BMG-chambered gun. It literally quartered the deer. A rear shank with leg was completely severed from the body, one falling one way, the other part the other way.

HiBC

I am not a legalwhiz,but I believe if you exceed 50 cal it is classified as a destructive device or something under fed firearms laws.

PawPaw

For years I routinely shot deer with a .54 caliber caplock rifle. Perfectly legal in all states where I hunted. I've also hunted deer with a rifled shotgun with slugs, which would be considered a .79 caliber. I know that I'm comparing apples and oranges, but making the point that the caliber of a rifle has nothing to do with whether it's considered "destructive".