Would I regret trading?

Sarge

Shorts,

Back when guns were cheap & easy to come by, I swapped with wild abandon (not to be confused with wild alaska). Money was tight and it allowed me to try a lot of different guns, a whole lot sooner than if I'd have purchased each one.

Then Brady came along and the internet auctions vastly reduced the likelihood of snagging a sweet deal on great guns with little local interest- say, a Colt SAA in a college town pawn shop. So now I trade infrequently unless the trade gets me something I really want, at half or less of the 'going price'.

There are a few guns I regret trading. One was a 92G Centurion that shot like a pocket-22-rifle, and fed everything you could throw at it-even from dirt cheap magazines.

The other was the twin to your ORM Commander. Mine was in the CJ23... serial range and it was perhaps the most perfectly set-up, bone stock 1911 I have ever examined.

P-6's are great if you want a slick little single-stack 9mm, at a good price.

Shorts

Sarge, for giggles I just looked at the SN on mine - CJ19 ;)

P6s, I'm thinking there may be one in my future. I have eyeballed the 225 for a long time, since '04 actually. I toyed with the 239 for a bit but have sinced cooled on them. A ccw class instructor I had carried a 239 in a SOB. He said he loved the gun and the only thing he didn't really love about it was it was bulky.

Sarge

You're quite welcome. 'Porter Dark' from Moose's Tooth in Anchorage will suit me fine;)

239's never felt quite right to me either...sorta 'fat one way & short the other' is the best way I can explain it. The P-6 on the other hand, feels real good to me and the sights are right there when I bring one up. If I needed a single stack 9mm I'd be all over one of those.

HisSoldier

My own policy is always trade an aluminum gun for a steel one, never the other way around. The steel gun will probably outlast you and your grand kids. That said, there is a case for light weight, I treasure my steel guns, I carry a plastic and aluminum throwaway.

vox rationis

I almost traded in my .40 USP full size as I don't really shoot it much (it has less than 1000 rounds through it) when making another purchase, until the wily shop owner offered me $350 for it :eek: Maybe he was expecting a haggle, but I was so shocked by the low offer that I said, no thanks. I just bought what I was after anyway, and kept the USP :)

So my point is that, I guess a trade could be practical, but it depends what you are offered, and that could make a big difference if it is a good idea or not!

CDH

On each of the very rare occasions that I have sold a pistol, I've ended up regretting it. I even develop a sort of "phantom limb" to where I'll look in the safe and expect to see the one I sold still sitting there.

My last big mistake was selling an unfired Colt original Satin Nickle Commander, still in the original box and with all paperwork.
At the time, I hadn't been keeping up with values, and I sold it to an "eager" acquaintance (not a friend) for $400.
And we're talking about a NIB pistol here.

So that was my last lesson about selling pistols. Don't do it. Just don't.

Smaug

I think you would regret it.

• 45 is a more effective caliber than 9mm, assuming you're proficient enough to hit with it.
  • You'd probably take a big hit in the sale of the Commander.
  • Once you do the mods and make the commander what you want it to be, you'll come to like & appreciate it more and more.

Keep the commander. Do the mods.

Smaug

One other thought. The guns I DON'T regret selling are the ones I never should have bought in the first place.

So ask yourself, was it a mistake to buy this in the first place, or am I just bored and so I want something new? If it was a mistake in the first place, sell it. If you're just itching for something new, don't do it. Start saving the money, then put a nice picture up for your wallpaper. If you get sick of looking at that, it isn't the gun for you. If you just want it more each time you look over a minimum 3 week period , it was meant to be.

USASA

Here's my take on this.

I just bought a S&W M&P 40 last week. I wanted a handgun that was smaller and lighter than my Colt Gov't Model 1911A1. I've had the 1911 now for 40 years. Although, I haven't shot it for almost 25 years now.

I could have sold or traded the 1911 for the M&P and had money left over. But, I would not part with the 1911 for anything.

If you had a Glock or something similar...it may be worth considering sellling/trading...but the 1911 variants are always worth keeping.

Just as an aside...I did put up a Browning Belgium 9mm High Power for sale to cover the cost of the M&P. Actually, for what I should get out of the Browning vs. what I paid for the M&P, I'll have a fair amount of $ left over. But, then again, I never could shoot the Browning very well. :rolleyes:

P.S. If you liked shooting the .45, really consider getting your new gun in .40 caliber. My daughter bought a S&W M&P like mine in 9mm and, I have to say, I prefer the .40 over the 9mm.