Would I regret trading?

Shorts

I'm not back home yet but just tossing ideas around. I'm bored, brewing a cup of coffee and watching No-Limit Hold'Em on tv and surfing on the laptop...

I have a Colt Commander 1991 .45 (ORM). I was planning on upgrading a few things here and there and it would be my daily carry. More and more I think about picking up a nice EMP 9mm for carry or even a Commander 9mm (always wanted one of those). If I traded my .45 for either of those 9s, would I end up regretting it?

I'm not leaning on a caliber war. Rather, I read so many posts talking about people regretting some of the guns they let go. A Commander .45 is usually on that list.

sholling

I will not sell or trade away any pistol again. I have only done it a couple of times and have regretted it ever since. In my opinion it's far better to drop a few bucks in the piggy bank every week and save to add to your collection.

BanditSRT8

If you feel that you need to modify your .45 to make you happy, then you won't miss it by trading it for a gun that you WILL enjoy.

I can say that the EMP is a far better choice than any other micro 9mm 1911 on a reliability standpoint. And you will love the slide to frame fit as well as the incredible trigger. It is shockingly accurate as well.

I say go for it, you'd be gaining one hell of a terrific carry gun. And it won't require a single upgrade when you buy it.

PawDaddy

I have traded and/or sold a few guns to fund new guns. Even though I enjoyed the new guns, I almost always regretted trading the old ones.

A few that I wish that I had back:

S&W 586
S&W 4506
Ruger GP100
Stevens 311

I would think long and hard on it before I did anything.

Last edited:

JWT

I've never been able to bring myself to trade or sell any of the guns I own. I figure the amount that I can get on a trade or sale doesn't justify getting rid of any of 'em. I'd rather just go out and buy a new one, if I find one I really want.

The Gunny

I have a feeling you knew the answer to this question as you asked it. If money is the problem just be patient and save your pennies and but a second or third gun. If it is not money then I say, You can never have too many guns in the safe.

BigJimP

I have a lot of guns / and no, I've never let a handgun go. Unless you really need the money right now - keep it. We've all made decisions on guns over the years - then we pick up someting new - and we usually shoot the new one over the older one - but that's ok.

It isn't like a gun sitting in your safe is really going down in value - except in rare circumstances / and its sure not going to rust or get scratched up or anything if you take care of it, keep it oiled, etc once in a while.

brif

I guess I'm in the minority here. I've sold alot of guns and I don't miss any of them. Interests change. For some, dropping a $1000 at once isn't possible. Possibly trading a gun and adding an additional $4-500 doesn't seem so bad. I've got several guns that I wouldn't get rid of and at the same time I have several that I haven't shot in 10 years! In fact, I can think of three that I bet I haven't put 50 rds through.

Unless the gun has some sentimental value, I would trade it. If you miss it, you can buy another one with the upgrades ready to go.

Tom2

I don't know what you payed for your Colt, but consider what it would cost to get another a couple years from now, if the .45 bug bites you again. Painful lesson in economics, I think. Besides you can do alot with the Colt. Play around with grips. Try other stuff. Alot of upgrades for the Colt are not that expensive. I upgraded my trigger, grips(several types), mainspring housing, and had a trigger job done for 45$. Not alot involved cash wise and alot you can do yourself. But alot you can do is unnecessary for normal use. I have gotten to where if it works good, better keep it instead of buying something else I don't like in the end or has problems that the old gun didn't. Of course if you have other 45's it might be a different matter. They might not offer you much for your trade in some places, but when it comes time to buy, they put a premium on the name. Just trade off guns that you have decided are absolutely useless or practical duplicates, like having extra 9's that you don't use much.

Shorts

Everyone has some excellent thoughts. This Commander is my second .45. It is also my second Colt. Now, I haven't had much time to shoot it at all. I bought it on a 2wk trip I was in town visiting my parents (paid ~ $680 OTD). I've only had one range day with it. And it wasn't even a proper 'date', it was a group thing with a lot of pistols passed around. So I honestly have not had a chance to bond. Normally I get attached to things and I just keep adding to the collection. I really should give it a fair shake before making any decisions. The changes I was anticipating making were to add a beavertail grip safety for hand fit and get an notch undercut under the trigger guard like the Enhanced Colts had. The sights are 3dot so they would not be changed, rather evaluated and go from there. Since the pistol would have some body work, I'd also send it off for a nice refinish.

In '05 I built an Oacp .45 with a additional 9mm Commander top end (same mods as I listed above). That Oacp was to be my carry and replace my .380 Cheetah. Unfortunately, it and the rest of our pistols were stolen in a burglary (I know - safe). That pistol I also had very little time with. It probably went out twice for range and testing before I never saw it again.

I think looking at a purchase for either an EMP or Comm 9mm, I'm looking near a grand. Normally that's money we can swing with a little planning and moving a couple things here and there. It just feels a bit extravagant. Well, it's a good thing I don't have to decide anything today - I haven't even had my morning coffee yet :eek:

tenusdad

I've traded off a few too - wish I had most of them back. I even tried to buy some of them back but nobody would think of selling. Well - live and learn. One of the few things I have done right is keep the Colts, always keep the Colts.

hdawson228

I can't imagine getting rid of my SA 1911 .45 in stainless. The same for my XD9 SC. I just bght the Kahr CW9 for concealled carry. Also, I buy what I like with no plans for cosmetic changes. I just don't understand holes in triggers and hammers and added groves and fancy changes to the frame/slide. :cool:

kristop64089

I will be the worst voice of reason here...I trade, well, almost for a living. I do it alot, and I do it well. My theory is this:
I don't have enough money to buy all the guns i want, but I have enough to make for an excellent collection. Inside of this collection are a few guns, that rotate in trade until I reach a "pinnacle" of trade. Once said "pinnacle" is reached, i stop rotating on said gun. I then switch the rotation. In doing this, I have been in and out of close to 100 guns this year. I normally don't speak of the trades here, as it is droll, and noone cares(or they might think I am a moron). One example of a trade started out as a Romanian SKS, and ended up (6 guns later) as a Dan Wesson PM10B(number 52 of 300 made in a pre-CZ, pre- Production run) Trade ended on that gun.

My point is(finally, right:rolleyes:) As long as YOU feel good with the trade, do it! Life is short, and for the most part, guns are plentiful. Colt 1991 45's aren't rare, Colt 9mm's are, and EMP's are hard to get, if I were you(and I am not) I'd do it.:)

Heepstress

Dollars aside: If you're asking us, then you probably would regret it. I don't have a lot of spare change lying around but I buy and keep. I don't trade or sell.

Good luck with your decision.

Chui

I'm not attached to ANY of mine. They ALL can be replaced; just like any other material object. However, I'd be as crazy as a june bug to trade a Colt Commander for *ANY* of the micro 1911s. NONE of the micros will be as reliable as your Commander.

Do as you see fit to do. You are highly likely to regret it.

Shorts

A month later from this post and I've had time to ponder.

What I think I am going to do is look for an EMP 9mm and keep the Commander. I can scrimp and scratch and find a way to make things come out even :eek:

A while back I mentioned to my husband that I wasn't sure if I would make the Commander my carry, but if he was interested in it, he was welcome to carry it. Even if he doesn't no worries, the gun stays.

Overall, the Commander is a great gun and it would go against my normal behaviors if I gave it up. It's always been my philosophy to keep a stocked stable no matter how long it took. :cool: