Would/Do You Carry A "Pretty" Gun?

Cyanide971

No reason a working gun has to look like a Glock.

To me, these three are extremely pretty, as well as reliable and tough for any use I could ever put them through.
7d784d7ddc29f139ee96e3f91ef9bbb6.jpg

TunnelRat

Right but that is not what you said... Lets take a look.

You added prestige as if it is a negative trait. Then you go one to add accuracy which is really not needed in a CCW beyond 7 yards IMHO. At distances longer than that there are more often than not better alternatives than firing a CCW weapon. Also total reliability is only achievable in a vacuum not in the real world.
I am not sure I would say accuracy isn't needed passed 7 yds in a ccw, though I would agree that you likely won't see much of a difference between different pistols in terms of accuracy at the typical 3-7 yds most self defense encounters occur in.

I would however agree that just because a pistol is visually appealing doesn't mean it can't be carried. I have carried pistols around $1000 before. How a pistol is used is up to the owner.

Last edited:

Dragline45

Absolutely, and I have. I carried all these at one point or another, a couple years each at least, and consider them all "pretty" guns.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 781
  • Smith Wesson 60.jpg
    Smith Wesson 60.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 784
  • Smith Wesson 640.jpg
    Smith Wesson 640.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 783

Joe_Pike

Part of the reason I was curious is I read some posts where people are upset because their 642's (or whatever their gun is) finish is chipped or wearing off from carrying it. The finish on mine is wearing and I don't mind a bit. On the other hand, if I had a pristine no dash model 36 and it started getting beat up from carry I would be a bit sad since I can carry a 642 in its place.

You folks that carry Wilsons and Les Baers and such (very cool by the way) are made of tougher stuff than me because I would probably weep if I scratched my $3, 000 custom when I could carry a Rock Island for defense and not worry about it. And, yes, I realize the Rock Island is not in the same class, but is still a workable gun for self defense purposes.

I suppose most of the reason I think this way anymore is because money is tight (had to sell some other toys to get these) and I like to keep pretty guns pretty in case I have to sell them at some point. I didn't used to think that way but have had to start the last couple of years.

jr24

All my guns (even the pretty ones) were bought to do work (hunt, comp, carry). Scratches, scuffs and scars are just proof they are being used as intended.

I was a bit leery about using my BHP as a primary carry because for a while finding a replacement, new, MKIII was really difficult.

Seems to be more available now, and it might get back into the rotation soon.

Ritz

As others have said, a gun is simply a tool. Tools are meant to perform a function. I have the same "issue" with folks that buy safe queens that I have with mid-life crisis guys who buy a Ferrari (or some other exotic car) to leave it in their garage and drool on it, talk about it, post pictures of it, etc...all while it stays mostly in the garage. They're meant to be driven.

Personally, I think my mill is a thing of beauty, but that doesn't stop me from covering it up with metal chips when I'm building a new receiver. :)

WC145

As others have said, a gun is simply a tool. Tools are meant to perform a function. I have the same "issue" with folks that buy safe queens that I have with mid-life crisis guys who buy a Ferrari (or some other exotic car) to leave it in their garage and drool on it, talk about it, post pictures of it, etc...all while it stays mostly in the garage. They're meant to be driven.
Well, some of us don't own safe queens, we own Ferraris and carry them daily.

Never buy an ugly gun when a pretty gun will do!
Ain't that the truth. Life is too short to carry ugly guns.

These guns get carried regularly-
SDC10004.JPG

SDC10106.JPG

kHcyFuMedkzcQUbyxkBGJuL6_Ma5QRyvKvIEx_o23p0=w930-h553-no

This one was just finished a couple of weeks ago but it was built for carry, competition, and hunting. It has a long future of hard use ahead of it.
20141011_162008.jpg

ritepath

I had a collectors edition P229. I tried to treat it like a normal pistol, I carried it twice and shot it once for a total of 20 rounds. I kept it for 4 years....I finally traded it this spring for a p220. It gets a workout.

WVsig

Part of the reason I was curious is I read some posts where people are upset because their 642's (or whatever their gun is) finish is chipped or wearing off from carrying it. The finish on mine is wearing and I don't mind a bit. On the other hand, if I had a pristine no dash model 36 and it started getting beat up from carry I would be a bit sad since I can carry a 642 in its place.

You folks that carry Wilsons and Les Baers and such (very cool by the way) are made of tougher stuff than me because I would probably weep if I scratched my $3, 000 custom when I could carry a Rock Island for defense and not worry about it. And, yes, I realize the Rock Island is not in the same class, but is still a workable gun for self defense purposes.

I suppose most of the reason I think this way anymore is because money is tight (had to sell some other toys to get these) and I like to keep pretty guns pretty in case I have to sell them at some point. I didn't used to think that way but have had to start the last couple of years.

It is a 100% valid question. I have a few carry guns in the rotation. Some are utilitarian some are a little more refined.

In the end everyone should carry what they are comfortable with. If $$ was tighter I would not carry expensive guns. In the end any gun that is shot will end up with some wear. Scratches happen and in the end add character to even the prettiest guns. IMHO

Joe_Pike

WC145, I've seen that 1911 with the stag grips in other threads before and it is quite simply one of the best looking guns I've ever laid eyes on. It would be difficult for me to carry it.

TunnelRat

As a note the finish is really the only thing getting worn when carried. A number of firearm manufacturers provide a very durable finish and worst case there are excellent companies such as Robar for high quality finishing or could always do something more basic.

WC145

WC145, I've seen that 1911 with the stag grips in other threads before and it is quite simply one of the best looking guns I've ever laid eyes on. It would be difficult for me to carry it.
Thanks. The thing about it is that I carried it before it looked this good without any concerns. It looked like hell and needed to be refinished. It turned out great but underneath that polish and blue it's still the same gun.

As a note the finish is really the only thing getting worn when carried.
This^^^^.
If I do anything to really screw up the finish on this gun or just wear the bluing down from regular holstering, all it will take to restore the appearance is a little bit of polishing and a reblue. All of the hard work has already been done.

Sevens

I carry one of the ugliest handguns ever built & marketed and indeed -- part of my requirements for a carry gun 6 years ago when I decided I would start carrying concealed was to be carrying a gun that didn't bother me to get worn, dinged up, sweated upon, covered in filth & lint and etc.

I would carry a pretty gun for some sort of an open carry "function", and for me and my tastes, such a function would be entirely social and not political.

Handguns have long been a visceral experience for me, a total package which includes they way they look. I have chased some guns weighed heavily upon they way they look to me and I've avoided some others simply because I believe they are ugly. I have made exceptions and I've fallen in love with a couple ugly ones, but for every day carry use, I'm happiest with a gun that's either already well-worn or began life ugly as hell to begin with. ;)

Hunter0924

I used to carry a pretty gun, a nice Colt M1991A1 but after a few years it looked pretty rough. Mechanically, it is still sound but I felt a little guilty scratching up a Colt like that so I now carry a Glock 20.
Over the past few years it has also become scratched up and worn, but that don't bother me a bit.
I still do carry the Colt from time to time as I truly like it better than the Glock,

codefour

Just my $00.02 worth...

In the end everyone should carry what they are comfortable with. If $$ was tighter I would not carry expensive guns. In the end any gun that is shot will end up with some wear. Scratches happen and in the end add character to even the prettiest guns. IMHO

I am a recently retired LEO from the inner cities of No. California. Previously, I would never admit my profession because smart officers like anonymity.

Everyone is talking about CCW weapons I noticed. A CCW weapon will rarely get drawn. Duty weapons will sustain much more wear and tear. I had to bail out of my car once. The seat belt wrapped around the Kydex style holster I was carrying. I saw my Sig 220 go flying as I was about to running on a foot pursuit. It happens. the Kydex paddle separated to from the actual holster. I never carried a Kydex holster again to this day.

I knew quite a few officers that carried Wilson, Les Baer, Valtro ($6,000 1911), etc. These guns had moderate to massive duty/holster wear. I also knew officers that would not spend a dime and carry the issued Glock 22. All my duty guns are retired but do have wear and tear. They function internally flawlessly, but they have bluing missing and scratches.

For years, I carried a Sig P220 as my duty weapon. It was drawn and holstered several times in a week or night. I worked for a very busy department. My Sig showed minimal holster wear. My Kimber 1911 that I had completely customized by a local smith had all sorts of wear marks in the bluing. The magwell, trigger guard, and beavertail/grip safety had the bluing completely worn off to the "in the white" phase.

Pretty guns are going to get wear. The holster, amount of use and draws will wear on them. It is up to you.

Dragline45

codefour said:
Everyone is talking about CCW weapons I noticed. A CCW weapon will rarely get drawn. Duty weapons will sustain much more wear and tear.

While that might be true, in warmer climates your carry guns will get covered in sweat since they are carried inside your waistband and much closer to your body which can wreak havoc on a guns finish.

codefour said:
I had to bail out of my car once. The seat belt wrapped around the Kydex style holster I was carrying. I saw my Sig 220 go flying as I was about to running on a foot pursuit. It happens. the Kydex paddle separated to from the actual holster. I never carried a Kydex holster again to this day.

That's more of a testament to paddle holsters than kydex holsters. What happened to you is a reason that many including myself will not use a paddle holster.

Check out this video to see just how easy they can snap, which you already know I am sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ

Last edited:

LockedBreech

Heck yeah I'll carry/use a pretty gun. It's still a gun. My 92FS, which I bought sparkly new and perfect last year, already has a bunch of scuffs and wear marks because I take it everywhere.

I think having wear makes a pretty gun even more pretty, almost always, unless we're talking about guns that were always meant to be artwork (super intricate engravings, etc.) which aren't my think anyway.

KyJim

My sig line over at a 1911 forum is: "Why carry a 1911? Because life's too short to carry an ugly gun." So, to me, "pretty" is as much about the design and lines of a gun as to flash.

That said, I sometimes carry high end 1911s and, every once in a great while, I'll put my nickel Python in a shoulder holster. I don't abuse my guns but if they get wear or even some nicks and scratches, so be it.