Would anyone else be interested in slimline double stack subcompacts chambered in other cartridges?

dyl

Smaller caliber is not going to add a lot unless you go to the complicated four column.

Could there be a four column 22 LR semi auto? Can they be reliable? That would be innovation. It probably would take up the same space as a double stack 9mm mag

Shadow9mm

Could there be a four column 22 LR semi auto? Can they be reliable? That would be innovation. It probably would take up the same space as a double stack 9mm mag
Kelly tek did the high cap 22mag pmr30 with a 30+1, and have the hi cap 22 compact p17 that holds 16+1, but reliability is questionable on both to my understanding.

eflyguy

Would anyone else be interested in slimline double stack subcompacts chambered in other cartridges?

Not here, but I can understand some shooters preferring lower recoil. If you only had one for carry, then why not.

I personally prefer all my defense and competition pistols to be of the same caliber, which happens to be 9mm. I do have a "fun" 1911.

I'd never looked before this thread, but now I find it interesting that Glock has the 42, but no double-stack equivalent. A spring and barrel in the 26 should be the only difference, so it wouldn't be a big investment.

Perhaps the success of the 43 and decline in sales of the 26 was all they needed to know. I would not have bought my 26 if the 43 had been available at the time.

Jim Watson

I'd never looked before this thread, but now I find it interesting that Glock has the 42, but no double-stack equivalent. A spring and barrel in the 26 should be the only difference, so it wouldn't be a big investment.

There is the Glock 28, a .380 the size of a G26. Not sold here except a few to police because it does not have enough BATF importation points. When they tooled up to make a .380 in the USA, it was the very small G42.

ballardw

KelTec CP33 uses basically a 4 column mag. Yes the mag is picky about loading correctly.

dakota.potts

Somebody else mentioned .32, and although they'd never make one, that would probably have my interest. I tend to value shoot ability over power, and a .32 holding in the range of 15 rounds in a compact pistol with a red dot sight would be very interesting indeed. I'm already considering a .327 magnum down the line for subcompact carry

I have no interest in a .40 in a gun that size. Too snappy and in my opinion not gaining anything useful ballistically in a barrel that short with the type of loads one is likely to use in a handgun that small. I'm sure there are people here who could shoot it just fine. To me it would only be detrimental to my shooting and I'm not too proud to recognize that.

For kicks, I'd be real interested to test drive one in .22 TCM. I've also said for a long time that I wish CBJ would commercialize their ammo and drop in barrels to convert 9mm to 6.5mm CBJ.

But then I guess I've always been kind of an oddball.

Cosmodragoon

I'm still waiting for DA/SA in this size range. (Yes, I know about the XDE. The manual safety is a deal-breaker for me. They should have at least made it convertible to decocker-only.) That's what I want more than anything else.

That said, I'd love to see the same thing in .380 or maybe something new like a .327 for semi-autos. I wouldn't mind .40 or .357 Sig but those can be a beast in really tiny guns. I wouldn't want to go smaller than a Sig P239 in those calibers. Speaking of which, I wish Sig would either bring back the P239 or release a good polymer approximation.

chaim

I'm not sure there would be a market, and I wouldn't be interested.

The .380 is nearly the same size bullet, and round length doesn't seem like it would have that much impact on how many rounds can be fit in a mag. So, I don't think you'd see much, if any, difference in capacity (how many of the single stacks that they chambered in both 9mm and .380 saw any real difference in round count). Because the round is shorter, you'd see a negligible difference in loaded weight (and maybe in unloaded weight since it wouldn't have to be built as robustly), but not really enough to make a difference. Meanwhile, sure, it may have a lighter recoil but at the cost of quite a bit less power.

I love .40S&W for CCW in a larger gun. However, at sub-20oz and an inch or even slightly less in width, the recoil would be far from pleasant. Any increase in power is more than made up for in the loss of a round in capacity and slower follow up shots due to the much heftier recoil.

I think in this size gun the 9mm is the sweet spot. Enough power to be quite reasonable as a self-defense round, decent capacity, small enough to easily conceal in any clothing, and in a well designed gun in the 16-20oz range it is reasonably comfortable to shoot (i.e. reasonable sight re-acquisition and follow up shot speed).

That said, your title says subcompacts, but your write up makes it clear you are talking about the double stack micro-9s. In an actual subcompact (like the Glock 26/27) I do love .40S&W and currently only have .40 in that category (a broken Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro from the generation that were true DAO, and a 1st gen S&W M&P40c).

Forte S+W

I'm fairly certain than any well designed gun of the sort chambered in .40 S&W would weight at least 20oz. For example, the standard M&P40 Shield weighs just over 20oz unloaded, ergo an M&P40 Shield PLUS would probably weigh a good 21oz at least.

Urbanrecon

Too much relies in the diameter of a cartridge such as in the design of a 9mm P365 to be able to transfer similar factors to the .40 or larger but for maybe one more round.

People generally don't get too excited over having just one more round.

Shadow9mm

Too much relies in the diameter of a cartridge such as in the design of a 9mm P365 to be able to transfer similar factors to the .40 or larger but for maybe one more round.

People generally don't get too excited over having just one more round.
I would agree with this to some degree. If I was in the market, I would me looking at capacity and that 1 extra round could make or break my choice.

With that said, having already made my choice, it is not nearly enough to make me go sell what I have to get a new gun because it holds 1 more round. There are number of other factors that go into it, including the size of the gun. and more rounds mean the grip gets longer or wider, there is only so tight you can stack them in a mag.

jetinteriorguy

Somebody else mentioned .32, and although they'd never make one, that would probably have my interest. I tend to value shoot ability over power, and a .32 holding in the range of 15 rounds in a compact pistol with a red dot sight would be very interesting indeed. I'm already considering a .327 magnum down the line for subcompact carry

I have no interest in a .40 in a gun that size. Too snappy and in my opinion not gaining anything useful ballistically in a barrel that short with the type of loads one is likely to use in a handgun that small. I'm sure there are people here who could shoot it just fine. To me it would only be detrimental to my shooting and I'm not too proud to recognize that.

For kicks, I'd be real interested to test drive one in .22 TCM. I've also said for a long time that I wish CBJ would commercialize their ammo and drop in barrels to convert 9mm to 6.5mm CBJ.

But then I guess I've always been kind of an oddball.
I too would have a ‘blast’ with .22TCM. At least if you missed the fireball would slow them down from a short barrel.

Spats McGee

Administrator
The Shield EZ (available in .380) seems to have been a big hit, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that one reconfigured into an Shield Plus EZ.