World's most inaccurate rifle - Rem. Mtn.???

crowbeaner

Check the recoil lug where it beds in the stock to see if it is touching the mortise in the stock. If it isn't the barreled action may be moving in the stock when under recoil. Free floating the barrel might help, but the recoil lug has to be bedded properly as well. Sanding the barrel channel has to be done before glass bedding. Try some reloads with H380, IMR 4320, and BLC2. The barrel harmonics may not be what the rifle likes with the Reduced Recoil ammo. Try LC 67,68,69 era military brass, RP 9 1/2 primer, 48.0 of WW 748 or BLC2, and a 150 Sierra ProHunter flatbase bullet. C.O.A.L. of 3.250". Try a 165 BTHP Hornady over 47.0 of IMR 4320 and a CCI 250 primer, same brass. Seat to the cannelure and slight crimp in the groove.

rbb50

Crowbeaner is probably right about something not right in that lug area of the bedding

Check the recoil lug where it beds in the stock to see if it is touching the mortise in the stock. If it isn't the barreled action may be moving in the stock when under recoil. Free floating the barrel might help, but the recoil lug has to be bedded properly as well.

When I built up my 7.7mm Model99 Jap rifle I was wanting to try it out so bad and had it cut into the stock with no bedding but was thinking I would just shoot three shots just to see what it does anyway.

I got about a 12-inch group with three shots and packed up and went home knowing Ok it shoots but it sure isn’t going to do much with no stock bedding in it for sure.

Once I sanded it out good floated the barrel and epoxy bedded in the lugs and receiver it sure made a big difference.

99rifle.jpg

It will shoot a better group than shown but that one was neat because I attempted to line up four shots strait across the bulls-eye at 100 yards.

Ok so I was off a little that day and they did not line up LOL

If it is not the lugs and you find it is all tight in that department have a gunsmith look at the head spacing and other aspects of that rifle such as the bore diameter or even a bulged barrel of which cannot even be seen without a barrel caliper.

Look close at the muzzle crown the bolt lugs and also take a look at those scope ring mounts to see if they may be misaligned warping the scope just a hairs diameter or if the scope seems tight but you find you can move it with your hand after all of which a little thin foam tape in the rings will fix to get it good and tight again.

That rifle you have should be shooting way better than that old WW2 Jap rifle I have for sure.

Something is going wrong there and if you cannot find out what it is then it is worth it just to have a good gunsmith check it out and they can tell you what’s wrong in every case usually unless it is the ammo used.