World's most inaccurate rifle - Rem. Mtn.???

mes228

I'm stumped. I purchased used but as new Rem. Mountain Rifle BDL in 30-06. Beautiful, light, slim - everything I like. But is it ever a dog in the accuracy department!! I've tried multiple scopes, new bases, lock tite everything, inspected crown, etc.etc. And fired every grain bullet from Rem. Managed Recoil 125 grain, 150 grain, 165 grain, 180 grain, in both Rem. & Winchester. Groups with this rifle at 100 yds. vary from about 7" with the Managed Recoil to about 3 1/2" with the 165 grain (which is the best). I've never seen anything like this. I can normally shoot about an inch or even less if the rifle will do it. You would think something would have to be physically broken, or loose to shoot this bad. A rifle with an optic should be a precision machine, not a shotgun. Any ideas?? Anyone else own a dog Mountain Rifle? I love the gun but wouldn't own a rifle that shot "minute of pie plate".

Horseman

I've never shot a Mtn. rifle but own seveal other 700's. It's no great discovery that lightweight rifles with very light contour barrels are not usually very accurate. I'd still expect it to shoot around 1.5" @100yds. Did you try floating the barrel? Did you try bedding? I'd bet that wet noodle of a barrel is even more affected by the pressure point on a 700 stock than the standard weight barrel. On a factory 700 one of the first things done to improve accuracy is to remove the pressure point in the stock. Deep well socket with sandpaper wrapped around it. Seal the barrel channel when you're done to prevent warping. If that doesn't work have it bedded. These are the most likely culprits. Good luck.

jammin1237

are you purchasing just Rem factory ammo?
different mfg powders and bullet weights make a huge difference.. i had this problem with a new browning .25-06(a rem wildcat caliber) took about 4 or 5 different manufacturers and 3 grain sizes to get it to shoot under 2 inch patterns, now it shoots .5 or under at 100 yrds...picky picky picky

just to test, i will shoot some of old stuff that did not work and sure as shiot they still suck.. i ended up sticking with the WinBST loads at 117 grain...

good luck!...

mavracer

in addition to horsemans comments are you letting the barre cool between shots those soda straw are also very heat sensative.
brother has a ruger light weight M77 in 308 if you try to shoot a 5 shot group one after another another it a 3-5 MOA gun let it cool (a lot) and shes 1-1.5 moa.

roklok

I have a Mountain rifle in .270 that is very susceptible to barrel heat problems. My first two shots usually go into an inch but after that it opens up dramatically. It is free floated and glass bedded but to get any consistency from it I wait 10-15 minutes between shots. I have considered getting it Cryo treated to see if that helps but think I may just get a Shilen barrel at some point installed.

TCman

I have a m700 adl 30-06 it will shoot 1 inch 3 shot goups with rem 150gr accutip. I did have to remove the pressure point. Idk what it would shoot before that. I never put it on paper before then.

Ricky

cryo it

I have a Ruger light weight rifle in .308. It used heat up and the barrel would move like a wet noodle. I had the barrell cryo tempered and now it shoots 1-1/2" groups.

fisherman66

Have you let the barrel cool between shots? If not, take a 22lr to play with and give the rifle a 5 minute rest between shots and see if that helps.

Brad Clodfelter

You have either one of these problems. First make sure the action screws are tight which I'm sure they probably are.

Now to get on with the answers to your problem.

Check the bedding on the action in the stock. That's what I would do first.

If the action is tight and no play whatsoever then either your scope or your rilfe barrel is defective. I suspect the latter. Even though it may appear to be a like new rifle, duds are out there.

You might want to check your scope mounts as well.

Last edited:

Wyngnut

I bought a Rem 700 ADL 22-250, and out of the box it shot an 8" group at 25 yards. I wrapped a dollar bill around the barrel and slid it down towards the stock and whadda ya know...the stock touched the barrel right off the bat.

After I floated the barrel I shot a 3 group inside a quarter at 170 yards.

I slide a dollar bill down the barrel and it better slide all the way to the front part of the action or it's a no-go for me. That gun was a hair-trigger away from getting returned to the store.

well, quit spending money on it. Consider selling it! Not all firearms have the accuracy expected of them. Must have been an off day somewhere in the building of that on. Sell it, move on. Some are just lemons. Really how much additional time and money have you spent on this one gun of yours? Just think you could have almost went on a hunting trip for that much!

Inspector3711

I have a Rem 700 LVSF in .223. It's kind of the mountain predator gun in their line and has a light barrel. I read here about the stock contacting the barrel. I hogged out the (synthetic) stock after noting shiny spots in the stock caused be barrel vibration when firing. My groups went from 1.5" to
.75".

I got into reloading and have played with powder and bullet changes for 6 months but could never get groups tighter than .75". I just discovered that this rifle likes bullets to be set .040" off of the rifling. A week ago or so I shot two sub .500" groups. It may be a combination of both variables with your rifle too..

tuck2

Clean & Tune UP

You never know what a new or used rifle will do untill you shoot it. First remove the barreled action from the stock. Clean the barrel and action. Inspect the bolt lacking lugs , they should show even wear, if not, the luggs need to be lapped. Adjust the trigger pull down to about three pounds on a hunting rifle. Inspect the stock inletting for the action and barrel. Most of the time one can see where the action and barrel is contacting the stock. Most of the time, glass bed the action and free float the barrel. Inspect the muzzle, if there is damage , recrown it..Check to see if the magazine box can be moved a bit after the barreled action is put back into the stock. The box should not put pressure on the floor plate or action. File off the edge of the box so it can be moved a bit... AND LAST never expect a used firearm to shoot small groups. Over the past 50 years I have purchased used firearms , never have I gotten one that would shoot small groups untill after I have given them a tune up and worked up some reloaded ammo to fit the firearm.

jjwestbrook

i would send it back to remington to be checked out. i have a mtn. rifle in 25/06 shoots very well usually 2" at 200 yds. even when the barrell heats up ,which it does quickly the groups are still better than 3".

Brad Clodfelter

Even if a rifle barrel was heavily fouled, I would doubt you would lose this type of accuracy loss. The barrel more than likely needs to be checked by a smith who has a good borescope. That would tell the tale. But like the guy said above, you could just send it back to Remington.

mes228

Rifle

Yes, I have been waiting for the barrel to cool between groups of 3 rounds. Have any Remington's been manufactured with an incorrect bore diameter? I know some early Ruger Mannlichers in 7x57 had a large bore and shot similar patterns. That's the only explanation I can think of for such bad performance. I'm sure that's why the gentleman sold it to me. Everything is tight, crown is good, scope is the second one, base is secure and Loctite used. The Remington managed Recoil rounds are something to see. They are so inaccurate it's beyond belief - 7"-8" at 100yds. Those are the rounds I had hoped to use. I cannot believe that a barrel heating up would change the impact 2"-3" in every instance with every grain bullet. If these Mountain Rifles are all so sensitive I wouldn't have one. I'd sure hate to try to shoot anything at 300 yds. smaller than an elephant with this rifle. I've already fired a fortune in ammo and am disgusted. Great design in a rifle but **** poor performance in this one. With performance this bad you'd think something would actually have to be broken. Mystery to me.

fisherman66

I know some early Ruger Mannlichers in 7x57 had a large bore and shot similar patterns.

No, they had long throats. Handloaders could still seat the bullets way out there and get purdy good results. I know a feller putting .32" groups (extrapolated from .16" groups at 50 yards) with his red pad 7x57 Ruger International. My recent 7x57 Ruger RSI shoots factory fodder purdy well.

j.chappell

I think as suggested before you should have the rifle checked out by a "good" smith.

There is one thing that has been suggested that I would stay away from, that is free floating the barrel. It is my experience that slimmly tapered barrels shoot best when full length bedded.

J.

TheManHimself

Remington rifles just don't seem to like Remington ammo. Switching to Hornady ammunition halved my .30-06 700 ADL's average group size.

Horseman

j.chappell

You may be on to something there. You'd have to remove the pressure point to bed the barrel anyway. So why not float the barrel and shoot it some to see what happens. It's likely not going to be worse than the groups he's getting now, and you can always bed the barrel if it needs it. That's a good point though sometimes a skinny barrel needs bedding rather than floating.

Another thing to consider would be playing with the action screws effectively changing the amount of pressure the pressure point is putting on the wet noodle of a barrel.