Wondering About Gunbroker.Com

old bear

Trust everyone but confirm first!!

Have not used GunBroker YET, but if I do it will be with a seller who is willing to accept credit cards, and offers a minimum of three-day inspection/return. Send cash or postal money order and you can have real problems getting a refund if there is a problem.

gaseousclay

I bought a rifle via gunbroker.com for the first time last week. I still haven't received my rifle yet so i'll let you know when it shows up at my FFL. If I had to complain i'd say that I think I was being overcharged for shipping. other than that things appear to be going along smoothly.

you're right, not being able to handle the rifle and inspect it before buying it is a drag, but I think you have to take a gamble sometimes. besides, I think that the vast majority of sellers are being truthful in their listings and try to mention any defects that might change the price. it's your responsibility to ask as many questions before buying. one thing you should be aware of - gunbroker is slightly different from ebay in the bidding process. let's say a seller has a starting bid of $299 and there are no bidders. you come in at the last minute, place a bid of $325 with the hope that you might outbid someone who's trying to snipe. but no one else makes a bid and your bid of $325 is binding. on ebay if you place a bid higher than the starting bid it stays at the starting bid unless someone outbids you.

dogtown tom

gaseousclay: ...let's say a seller has a starting bid of $299 and there are no bidders. you come in at the last minute, place a bid of $325 with the hope that you might outbid someone who's trying to snipe. but no one else makes a bid and your bid of $325 is binding. on ebay if you place a bid higher than the starting bid it stays at the starting bid unless someone outbids you.

Uhhh..........nope.

If the auction is a no reserve with an opening bid of $299, you bid $325 and no one else bids..........you win it for $299.

tsmith247

great thing about gunbroker is you can get most of the stuff there that you can't get on ebay, besides the firerams, ebay can't sell triggers, uppers, lowers...so you can find that all on gunbroker...i've got some great deals on there and haven't had any problems...and yes, insurance protects the seller to make sure the items gets to you ok

Newtire

Tracking #

I really don't see how it is possible to get a "re-direct" on a delivery of an FFL only shipment.

I do see how it is a bad thing for someone to not have to send the tracking # though. I want to be home before the UPS or USPS person dumps the package on my front porch of say, a non-FFL item. I can also go to the UPS or USPS site and give instructions on how I want to have my item delivered or held for pickup.

Also, there are those that don't necessarily want someone else in the house to know if they are getting an item. I wouldn't know any of those personally of course-nor would there be anyone on this board who has ever felt that need.:rolleyes:

JWT

I have purchased six or seven guns through Gunbroker. Never had any problems on any of them. I generally 'buy now' vs. bidding. I do read and check the seller ratings before purchasing. It's a great site for locating a gun when I get the urge for a specific model and caliber. The sellers I've dealt with have been excellent.

Gunplummer

Never too late to learn something. I probably have bought a dozen guns off Gunbroker.com. No problems at all yet. I am always leery of quick, vague descriptions and poor quality photos taken at angles that kind of hide certain areas. Everybody says "Ask questions". Good idea. I let a military rifle go because I am now sure it was messed with. It is an auction. You have to know what you are looking at.

boatdoc173

I use gunbroker as my last resort and only for nib guns from a real ffl dealer. I agree with JWT. no private sales. no issues so far for me.

Bayou

I recently used GB to purchase a rather uncommon Ruger Redhawk in 357. It was my first and, so far, my only GB transaction.

Fortunately, the transaction was very smooth. The revolver was described as being in "excellent" condition in the GB seller's description.

Upon receipt of the Redhawk at the LGS, the smith there concurred in this condition and also described it as being in the "excellent" category.

So, all in all, it worked out very well for me.

Bayou