Woman shoots intruder during 911 call

Bluestarlizzard

OMG!! There is another! I agree. Possums are cute! I love the waddle.

However, my dogs are capable of driving any creature to violence and, sorry, but unless certain critters are planning on paying rent they get served some hot lead. Except the mice, they get a free last supper.

BuckRub

Justplainpossum-where in Tx do you live? I live in Buffalo, tx. Population about 2900. And I live in the country too and know exactly what you're talking about with the Sheriffs Office. I'm a city cop but around here when you work city you're the only one working that city. You may have 1-2 working for the Sheriffs Office and may have 1-2 troopers but everyone is so thin. So if you need backup it may be 15-20 minutes away. So we all help each other if needed but same here on calls like gunfire or strange people or really drunk drivers a lot of times the SO doesn't respond a lot. Our city's are small so usually I'm there within 2-3 minutes.

zxcvbob

In my opinion...I think she was wrong in not warning the bad guy that he about to be shot. You never know, it could be a LEO breaking into a house.

Shotgun News...had a story about just that kind of event. The LEO had the wrong address, when he busted into a guy's house. The homeowner shot an killed the LEO --- thinking that he was a burglar --- with the homeowner being sentenced to a 10 year prison term. Most LEO's don't announce there presence, when they might have a reason of entering a private residence.

Are you talking about Cory Maye? His mistake wasn't shooting Officer Jones, who entered the wrong house during a drug raid, his mistake was being a black man in Mississippi. He got the death penalty for that, but eventually it was overturned (sort of.)

justplainpossum

Buck, my ranch is about 1/2 mile out of the city limits, in central Texas. I've called the police, but they're not allowed to come, even though the sheriff's dept. is usually an hour away. I do understand the legalities of it, but it's frustrating, and it just makes you realize how much you need to depend on your neighbors (I'm lucky, I've got some great neighbors.)

By the way, I love the name of your town! That's definitely up there with, like, Gun City and Cut and Shoot, and West as my favorites. I also love Bronte, but that's because they pronounce it Brawnt; Charlotte and Emily would not be happy! :)

Last edited:

Erno86

zxcvbob --- That Shotgun News article by Knoxx, must have been about Cory Maye; since I looked for the editorial; but could not find it. Thanks for the help. I think that most drug bust's in private residences are started with hammer malls, knocking down a door. Whether the former plaintiff --- Cory Maye --- could have heard the police announce there presence {if they did at all} before they knocked down the door, is questionable.

No doubt...the death sentence on Cory Maye was due to racism in the first degree.

Most likely...the Illinois Tactical Squad and the Chicago Police Deparment, never gave any verbal warning in 1969, when they raided a Black Panther Office --- looking for an arms stash --- when they shot & assassinated Black Panther Deputy Party Chairman, Fred Hampton, while he was drugged and still asleep on his bed.

Last edited:

Ben Towe

I would have called the law and had him charged with P.I. And had him and his car towed away. He had to drive to your house that way so he showed no respect for other lives he passed on the road driving. But that's just me.
That's just what you should do. That way the next time he realizes he's too drunk to drive he won't pull over and stop because you had him thrown in the drunk tank the last time he tried to stop driving.

Back to the topic:
As far as warnings go, once the door has been breached the time for warnings has passed. While the breaking in was ongoing you might yell out a warning that you will shoot if the door is breached, but that can have it's cons as well. If the perp does a mag dump through the door and kills you before he gets inside the warning certainly isn't beneficial...