Winchester 94/22: cult classic, or?

WIN1886

Most articles I've read on the Winchester 9422 claim it has a forged receiver and was a relatively expensive lever action to produce ! The Winchester manual for the 9422 just says it has an all-steel receiver !

Last edited:

az_imuth

Post '64 model '94 receivers are cast rather than forged. 9422's were forged throughout the entire production run according to everything I've ever read on them.
I am also of the opinion that the 39 series are great rifles. To be perfectly honest, I don't think I've fired a .22 lever gun that I didn't like. It's just that I prefer Winchesters over Marlins. However, today I took my Marlin 39D and my Browning BL-22 out and had a great time with 'em both. Left the Winchesters, Henry's and Ithaca's at home. :D

hammie

I love my 9422. I wish I had also bought the .22 WMR version when I had the chance.

No one has mentioned scopes. My 9422 has a redfield, 3/4 inch diameter, 4 power scope on it. The diminutive redfield is perfect for the 9422's size and proportions, and also works great on the browning .22 autoloader. I wish redfield (or I guess, now leupold) still made that scope.

603Country

I have old Leupold 2-7's on my 9422 and 39A, and they are small enough to look right on the small rifles. And I sure wish I had either the Marlin or the Winchester in 22 Mag.

One thing I've added to the 39A is a red LED light (XRL 250, if I got that name right) for shooting skunks and armadillos at night (orders from the wife). The light has a clamp that tightens with a screw knob and most folks attach the light to the scope. That doesn't work well with rifles with front sights. Too much light bounces back off that front sight to allow you to see through the scope. So I found that you can attach the light to the bottom of the barrel with that clamp, even though the barrel has the mag tube below it. Problem solved, and the light is a great addition, giving clear scope viewing for at least 150 yards.

WIN1886

And I sure wish I had either the Marlin or the Winchester in 22 Mag.

That be a Marlin 1894M...I heard they fetch a pretty penny ! :) I once owned a Marlin 39A made in the early 70's....why did I sell it ,why , why ? :mad:

M16

I have two 94/22's a magnum and a regular. I also have a 39. There is no doubt the 94/22's are nicer guns. I had a Browning bl22 but sold it after the plastic gear that operates the lever broke.

I don't really understand the whole 9422 / 39A thing.... I've never witnessed a significant difference in the accuracy of the 39A and the 9422.. Neither of them are target grade guns... Both are plenty accurate for plinking and small game hunting... So what's the big deal??

All Model 94's have had cast steel receivers since 1964.

I'm not saying forged isn't better... But modern castings are strong and durable pieces...

Last edited: