Winchester 94/22: cult classic, or?

RickB

I have a friend's 94-22 resting comfortably in my safe. It seems like a pretty nice gun, but don't know that it's any nicer than the 1950's Marlin 39A in the next stall.
Is there some particular reason why the 94-22 appears to be so highly sought after?
It appears that the 94-22 bucked the post-'64 economizing, being made from machined barstock rather than castings, so is it old-world charm, or a perception that it's a better gun than comparable guns from other makers (like Marlin)?
I see 94-22s on gunbroker going for $500 or more, which seems a lot for a rimfire lever gun.

603Country

I saw one for sale the other day for $800. I was stunned. I have one that I bought used a couple of years ago for $80. Of course it shows some signs of wear (Ok...a lot of signs). It's a nice little rifle and I like it a lot. Easier to lug around than my 39A. I didn't know that it was a cult classic.

PVL

Compared to a 39-A, the 9422 displays better fit and finish.

You get what you pay for.

Personally, I like the Browning BL-22 best, by far.

That's just me, though. The main thing is to have fun.

RickB

I'm hoping my buddy doesn't visit gunbroker, and will want to eventually "get rid of" his 94/22, and I'll be happy to help him (though an $80 purchase price seems unlikely).

WIN1886

Well , it is an American made Winchester lever action and my 9422M ( magnum ) is one fine repeater that is about as light and handy as it gets for rodents or small game out to 100 yards or so with a peep sight !

Colokeb

There is a man in my area with three of the Commems for sale for about 6$. Unfired with tags, boxes, receipt.

I have the 9417 barely used.

Edward429451

That was my first rifle my dad bought me, albeit a magnum. WHy oh why did I let that go? It was a superb rifle and I was king of the block with it. It had everything a kid could want. Looked nice, accurate, cheap ammo, and the cowboy nostalgia. If I could afford one now, I'd get one in a heartbeat.

Tom Matiska

I value that it is an adult size rim fire that is within an inch or so and a few ounces of its 30-30 big brother.... an excellent companion rifle for training purposes...

batmann

I have a 9422M with checkered walnut (XTR?) and a M94 in .30-30 with checkered walnut and they are both beautiful rifles, make a great pair and both are great shooters. All that said, I wouldn't trade either one

az_imuth

I have found the Marlins to be very well built for the most part, but all of the ones that I own have a pretty rough action. I also don't care for or understand the need for such a bloated fore stock and prefer the thinner ones built in the 60's and 70's. The Winchesters are built just as well, from forged steel and walnut, and they're actions are smooth as butter. Both brands seem to be equally accurate and break down easily. I much prefer straight stocks and smooth actions so it should come as no surprise that the Winchester gets my vote. As for the Marlins, being made continuously for over a hundred years doesn't mean they're being made better. As with most things, quality tends to decline as time passes on.

psyfly

Much like az_imuth above.

I've owned a total of three 9422s and one 9422m (gave two of the 9422s away to my gransons). Butter-smooth action. Better accuracy than I can squeeze out of them, and feels great in the hand.

I've only ever owned one 39a. Seemed too big, too heavy, clunky, not as accurate for me and the action was not so smooth. Didn't care for the pistol-grip, either.

Traded it.

I've got a Browning Bl-22 that I really like but it's not as accurate for me as the 9422s. I have a Henry that I feel the same about.

9422 prices are becoming ridiculous but they aren't making any more of 'em, so prices aren't likely to drop significantly.

W

Last edited:

Guv

94/22 has a cast receiver with a "pinned" barrel. 39 has a forged receiver with a threaded barrel, different class of manufacturing process.

az_imuth

94/22 has a cast receiver with a "pinned" barrel. 39 has a forged receiver with a threaded barrel, different class of manufacturing process.

Sorry, Guv, but you're wrong about that. The 9422 has a one piece, forged steel receiver and a pinned barrel. No worry about the two halves of the receiver coming loose and flopping around on a 9422.

psyfly

To the OP's original points:

Is there some particular reason why the 94-22 appears to be so highly sought after?

a.) They aren't making the 9422 anymore and only had about a 30 year or so run:). They are becoming collectibles and pretty rapidly so; maybe in part because of the signs on the horizon of our "gun culture" beginning to disappear.

b.) The Marlin 39a is sometimes touted as one of the (maybe "the") longest-running production guns in history. I think the first ones were made in around 1890 and they are still in production. You can still buy a new one.

...perception that it's a better gun than comparable guns from other makers (like Marlin)?

I doubt it. I think the general perception is that quality is pretty much a wash between the 39a and the 9422. Both are, I think, perceived to be well ahead of any contender for number three. Both are very well made and will likely last through several generations of ownershiip.

I see 94-22s on gunbroker going for $500 or more, which seems a lot for a rimfire lever gun.

See the implication of availability, above. The prices are likely to only go up.

I didnt' like my 39a, I didn't say it wasn't a great gun. It wasn't a good fit for me. I think I'd like a Mountie model a lot better.

Maybe I'll get me one.

Best,

Will

Guv

az,look on the left side at the rear of the receiver, there are even knurled after market screws available. I don't think either gun will flop around while shooting. All Model 94's have had cast steel receivers since 1964.