Winchester 88 question

canucklehead

Mike, wachtelhund

Have not found anything yet on a 88 recall, only the 100.
Found a lot of "I heard" comments and supposition.
I also found the phone number, will call Winchester next week and find out for sure.

44 AMP

Staff
Winchester would, of course, be the ultimate authority. As I recall, back in the day :rolleyes:....

The recall was after the end of production by some time, and it was the firing pin, which was found to sometimes break, and that could result in a slam fire in the semi auto model 100. I believe the Model 88 was included, because it used the same firing pin as the 100. Slamfires were not a concern in the manually operated model 88.

Winchester can tell you for sure what the real situation was/is.

"I believe the Model 88 was included, because it used the same firing pin as the 100. Slamfires were not a concern in the manually operated model 88. "

That's what I recall, as well, but now I'm not able to find anything about the 88 being recalled.

bamaranger

safety

I can clearly remember the Winchester recall on the M100, but a similar advisory on the M88 draws a blank with me. The M100 issue was the firing pin sticking forward due to a developing burr, with a resultant slamfire.

There is some internet chatter. I suspect the M88 and the M100 use the same firing pin but that is just a guess. I wonder if the M88, being manually opereated, is not effected, ie, will not burr. Could one run the lever hard enough to cause a slamfire? If I read right, there were shops and 'smiths authorized to do the replacement on the M100, perhaps someone here has done same for the 88.

An advisory on the M88 is new to me, but I have been wrong here before, just recently:):)

canucklehead

I spoke with 2 people at Winchester the other day, neither could find any record of any recall for the 88. I was transferred to someone who actually took care of the model 100s as he would know if it somehow also applied to the 88 but he didn't pick up. Left a message, waiting for a reply.

bamaranger

surprised

As the Win 88 was discontinued in 1973, I am surprised that there is anybody left at "new" Winchester that had anything to do with that rifle. There are of course, records of all kinds.

wachtelhund1

People are there and they are handling Winchester recalls. Two years ago, they sent me a Win 100 firing pin and check for $30.00 to have it replaced.

pricedo

The 88s have a very strong action ... they're actually lever actuated bolt actions ... the closest modern rifle currently manufactured is the BLR (made by Miroku) ... I prefer the 88s 1-piece stock over the 2-piece stock of the BLR

jetinteriorguy

The 88s have a very strong action ... they're actually lever actuated bolt actions ... the closest modern rifle currently manufactured is the BLR (made by Miroku) ... I prefer the 88s 1-piece stock over the 2-piece stock of the BLR
The Henry Long Rangers are also a rotary locking bolt action.

canucklehead

Haven't owned a Henry but I have owned 4 BLRs now. The first 3 were pre 81s, 1 a Belgian (FN?) and the other 2 Mirokus. I really liked those guns, not really sure why I decided to get rid of them. The Belgium one I never even fired.

The last was an 81 lightweight, I am in the process of selling it. I would possibly like it as much as the pre 81s except for the aluminum receiver, just can't get past that.

I took the 88 in for headspace and test fire, they checked the headspace and said it was fine to fire, as far as I know they checked the headspace, did not test fire it and did not even charge me.

I put my Redfield Revolution scope on, boresighted and took it out to sight it in. I was trying to get it good at 25 yds to start with, first it was low left, then I turned it too far and it was high right and then I turned it the wrong way and it was off the paper so I'll have to start over. But I fired it several times, it's fine.

canucklehead

Final word?

When I bought this rifle i had been looking for a 270 LH bolt action. There were a few models on my short list but was not having much luck finding one reasonably priced. the supply of left handed bolt actions seems pretty short around here lately.

At one point I found a LH Tikka T3 SS 6.5 Swede which I bought. So far I'm really liking this one despite the amount of plastic on it.

When I saw the 88 at an auction I thought what the hell, I've been curious about those for a while having been a long time BLR owner.

I bid conservatively, but there was 5 in the auction and the only one that went cheaper than mine had a HUGE crack in the stock that was stapled together. I think I got the best of the lot.

I had put the Redfield scope on it but ended up putting the Weaver K4 back on when I sighted in. I was quite pleased and surprised to shoot a .8" group at 100 yards with Federal Fusion 150gr ammo.

I tried shooting some 125gr Nosler BT which grouped as well but surprisingly shot 4" lower than the 150s despite being 250 fps faster.

Since then I found a nice condition Ruger M77 LH 270, one that I'd been looking for. So now I have 3 rifles vying for favourite. I suppose if I take to Winchester hunting it will only be occasionally, if I hang on to it it will only be because I like it so much.

Picher

It's definitely a view of the case rim; however, it appears to be perfectly normal. When the bolt comes forward to support the combustion, it locks in place behind a chambered cartridge and is normal. Unless the portion of the rim doesn't appear, there would be no way for the semi-automatic action could guide a new cartridge from the magazine into the chamber.

If a case is ruptured, the only way for hot gases to go would be downward, away from the shooter's face. That's a very good thing!!!

Don't worry...be happy!!!

J. Picher, Maine