Win. Model 70 in 243 Win.

FiveInADime

I have a late 80's push-feed youth M70 in .243.

It's basically a Featherweight with sights and a birch stock. It's always shot pretty well. With the right load it would shoot under an inch.

Smoothest action that I own.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Don Fischer

Had three but never shot two of them. The one I shoot I have now. A feather weight I got new about 2006, 6.5x55. Really really a nice rifle and shoot's very well but not as good as my 700's or even my Mossberg Patriot's. Could be because I worry about messing it up if I try bedding it! Still plenty accurate for hunting and that's what I got it for! Stays just over an inch at 100yds.

Something about Winchester's I've noticed over the year's is that no one ever talk's about their mod 70 as super accurate. Never heard of one in the bench rest or long range shooting world's either. I don't understand why because everyone talks about their accurate rifle but seldom hear about really small groups from them. I bought my mod 70 6.5x55 because of two thing's. The cartridge and it is a beautiful rifle! Handle's very well to say the least!

If I was to want a new rifle and found another in a cartridge I might want would I buy it? Sure if I could afford it. But I don't understand the cult with the pre 64's. The did go form nice rifle's to pretty much junk for several years but I don't think even todays mod 70's are junk, good as any I would think!

kraigwy

Never heard of one in the bench rest or long range shooting world's either.

You're kidding, Rigth?

The Model 70 was the "go to rifle" for accross the course bolt guns in NRA High Power. The dominated the Long Range Matches, and were picked as supplemenat sniper rifles by both the Marines and Army.

The Army Marksmanship Unit armors did fantastic work with these rifles.

AMU built (post 64) Model 70 target rifle in 308. Comes with both Irons and scope blocks. Now my primary rifle for PRMs.

DSCN0101.JPG

This was my 1000 Yard Rifle I used when I shot for the AK NG Rifle team. Again set up for Irons (Any Rifle -Iron Sight Matches) or Glass (Any Rifle-Any Sight) 300 WM

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg

Famed Marine Sniper Carlos Hathcock used a Model 70 in '06 as his sniper rifle.

The problem with Winchesters is Winchester wouldnt cut the Army a deal in mass producing sniper rifles. Even when they had to produce the Garand, they wouldnt use their master armorers, they hired a new crew to manufactor Garands.

Peter R. Senich's books on American Sniping is full the the use Model 70s in sniper use.

Model 70s just dont fit the Space Gun Crowds we find in competition now days.

FiveInADime

You're kidding, Rigth?

The Model 70 was the "go to rifle" for accross the course bolt guns in NRA High Power. The dominated the Long Range Matches, and were picked as supplemenat sniper rifles by both the Marines and Army.

The Army Marksmanship Unit armors did fantastic work with these rifles.

AMU built (post 64) Model 70 target rifle in 308. Comes with both Irons and scope blocks. Now my primary rifle for PRMs.

DSCN0101.JPG

This was my 1000 Yard Rifle I used when I shot for the AK NG Rifle team. Again set up for Irons (Any Rifle -Iron Sight Matches) or Glass (Any Rifle-Any Sight) 300 WM

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg

Famed Marine Sniper Carlos Hathcock used a Model 70 in '06 as his sniper rifle.

The problem with Winchesters is Winchester wouldnt cut the Army a deal in mass producing sniper rifles. Even when they had to produce the Garand, they wouldnt use their master armorers, they hired a new crew to manufactor Garands.

Peter R. Senich's books on American Sniping is full the the use Model 70s in sniper use.

Model 70s just dont fit the Space Gun Crowds we find in competition now days.
Lol. But, but, but... The M700 is what the snipers shoot.

Somewhere, someone in my extended family, has my great-grandfather's (my namesake) matching Winchester small-bore and high-power rifles. He taught his 12 kids to shoot with the 52. Wish I would have had it when I was shooting smallbore.

And maybe I would have shot high-power if I would have had the M70.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dufus

Something about Winchester's I've noticed over the year's is that no one ever talk's about their mod 70 as super accurate.

Well, to me talk is cheap and seeing is believing.

I do have a M70 (circa 1970) chambered in 30-06 and it will shoot 10 shots into a 9/16" C to C group with my handloads.

I have never had the opportunity to shoot longer distances at a range with it as it was a home range where the above occurred.

After I could shoot groups like that, my load development with it was complete. After all it is a hunting rifle, not a target rifle.

Tuzo

My Winchester

I have a 1968 vintage Super grade model 70 in .243 caliber. Complete with Weaver V9 scope. Paid $280 for the walnut stocked beauty in 2006.

No experience with pre-1964 Winchesters but my 1968 model has no problems shooting well. Reload with Sierra Matchkings and achieve quarter-sized groups of 5 rounds at 100 yards. Not at all poor performance despite the post-1964 liability.

My advice: don't fear the post-1964 Winchesters. However, get one as old as possible (like mine).

Don Fischer

Well back then some also used custom 98 Mauser's too. I doubt they can shoot with a good target rifle today. Must be a reason all custom action's seem to have round action's for competition rifle's. Model 70 fans are mod 70 fan's, seem to be very loyal. I'd had a couple in the past and one right now. Good rifle's but never had one that could shoot with my Remington's or Sako's. It seem's to me that the attraction of mod 70's for a long time was CRF action. Shoot my present one is CRF, only other I have like that now is a 1903 Springfield. I think it's CRF, never paid much attention to it. Really nice shooting rifle but no competition for my round action rifles for accuracy. Have no idea why, it is what it is.

dvdcrr

1.at that price I will place my order now ; - ))
2. They really liked to have that scope hooked to the barrel, didn't they?

243winxb

Bausch&Lomb 6-24X Target Scope

Yes , scopes were very long back in the dark ages.

My buddy put one like this on a 1976 Rem 40Xb, Bausch & Lomb 6-24X Target Scope, more modern scopes were available .

attachment.php

Note external scope adjustments.

Last edited:

Guv

I have a USRAC .243 Sporter Varmint.
It has a 26" heavy barrel, more of a magnum barrel contour than a bull barrel.
Really sweet rifle, pretty walnut and nice blued short action.