Will your deer rifle help you in a pinch in case a bear attacks you?

Pistoler0

You carry your deer rifle, in your hands, or on a strap when slung. Generally its 7+lbs and over a meter long, and gets set down at every convenient opportunity.

You wear a pistol. In some kind of holster, and it stays on your person (and so within reach) at nearly all times. IT's there for all those times when your rifle is out of reach.
^^^
This

Don Fischer

Yup, and even if they like your shirt that's no guarantee. I had a buddy who got treed by a bull while he was deer hunting. Maybe he could have shot in self-defense. But climbing a tree is a lot easier than the conversation with a Game Warden would have been.

Worked building house's in Alaska a few years and we used to have moose wander into the building site now and then. We didn't mess with them and they were about as aggressive as a dairy cow. Unless, and you knew that was coming, the rut was on! Then the rules changed. Easiest way to stay out of trouble with a wild animal is keep in mind they are wild animals!

Don Fischer

All interesting. Never could figure out why someone would draw a handgun instead of using the rifle. of course if the bear is on you, handgun will be a lot more maneuverable. Those photo's of carrying a slung rifle leave something to be desired for me. While stationed in Germany I learned what they call the Jaeger carry. I'm right handed and I sling my rifle over my left shoulder. When I have it there which is about all the time I am walking, my left hand has a hold of the forearm. Need the rifle quickly simply turn it up into shooting position. I find it the fastest way to mount a rifle. Sling slide's off the shoulder and gun just come's up.

came back from Germany in 1970 and stationed at Lakeside, Montana, remote radar station. Not long after I got there I was out on the north side of Flathead Lake fooling around and got to thinking about bears, got pretty spooky. So got out of there and next time I went I took a 338 mag with me. That should stop a deer! I spent four years there and been into country all around Kalispell and have never seen a grizzly! Saw tons of black bears though. Something I did start doing up there when walking in cover was I kept track of the country all around me, even behind me. In the end it never saved me from the grizzly I never saw but I was always aware of what was around me. Now I don't know if that approach would save me from a bear attack but I like to think it would certainly help!

Living in Alaska years ago I was out fishing on the Portage River. Standing out there on a gravel bar and saw an absolutely huge bear foot print, I doubt it was a black! Always carried a rifle with me after that designed to stop an attack if I could. It was a Rem 660 in 308. Beauty of the rifle was it had a short barrel and swung quickly and I had it loaded with reasonably hot 200gr Spire Point bullet's. A 100 yd shot would have been to far to shoot that at an animal, lost velocity to quickly but I had no intention of taking a shot to far off. It was for close range protection only. Folks up there had a feeling I think works about carrying a hand gun. If your carrying a 44 mag, shoot your buddy in the foot and run like hell! They just didn't have a lot of confidence in handguns. For myself, I carry a handgun about every where I go, even to the store! But fact of the matter is if the target is more than maybe 20' away, it's relatively safe from me. I'm not that great with a handgun but like fooling with them. Most people fall into that category and should think about that in advance of deploying a gun to protect themselves against man or animal. Your best shot is not going to be out around 50yds. Actually I strongly suspect most attacks begin closer than that but if the aggressor is seen that far off, I'd be ready. yea talk to the bear hoping it will leave. Talk to it while aiming a rifle at it!

Scorch

That's when da big bear ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ gets ya.
Well, if you haven't figured it out by now, I am not afraid of bears. Or wolves, or mountain lions, or coyotes, or snakes, or Sasquatch, or sidehill gougers. Pretty much not afraid of just about anything anymore. People, a little bit, mostly the stupid ones. You want to know what I'm more afraid of than anything else? Getting injured bad enough that I can't get back to my rig and dying of exposure is about it. I've almost died several times of environmental conditions (once I nearly died of hypothermia trying to get my truck unstuck in freezing temps, another time I almost died of dehydration while hunting in So Cal along the Colorado river). I've been hunting all over the West and Southwest and Pacific Northwest for the past 45 years. So if that big bear wants me, tell him where I am.

kenny53

I was on a guided salmon fishing trip in Alaska a few years ago. The guide had been mauled by a bear and I asked "why didn't you shoot it" He said it happened so fast that he never had a chance to get his gun in play.

The largest bear recorded killed in Alaska was with a .22 rifle by an Indian woman. So.........Armed with any rifle capable of killing a deer. It's moot point.

Keep in mind that people with hunting rifles often get mauled when they have to put the rifle down for whatever reason (most often field dressing an animal). In addition, hunting rifles are/should be carried WITHOUT a round in the chamber (when there is no shooting opportunity) which adds time to their use for self defense.

People don't get "often" mauled - period. Bear attacks are not an often activity.

How you feel your hunting rifle should be carried is on you. As far as I am concerned, an unloaded rifle is nothing but a club.

The largest bear recorded killed in Alaska was with a .22 rifle by an Indian woman. So.........Armed with any rifle capable of killing a deer. It's moot point.

NOT the largest bear killed in Alaska, but was a record grizzly at the time (1953). It was essentially sniped from a few feet away. She wasn't exactly in a fight for her life. She wasn't being charged. https://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/wh...n-use-to-kill-a-world-record-grizzly-in-1953/

Larry Fitzgerald now holds the largest Alaska grizzly kill record, IIRC.

reynolds357

Let's say you are out hunting deer in Montana or Idaho one November morning during gun season and all you happen to have for a weapon is a bolt-action rifle in .270 Win. or a Savage Model 99 in .250-3000 Savage. Then all the sudden, a big grizzly bear starts charging out of the woods toward you at 50 yards away. Are you adequately armed with your deer gun in case you have to shoot the bear to save your own life?
I would be perfectly happy with the 270, considering I only use monolithic or bonded bullets. .250-3000? I would feel poorly equipped.

Neither is a proper caliber to drop a charging bear. At 50 yrds a really big bear will have you for dinner if it wants. It is very surprising how fast afoot a charging bear is at this distance. Grizzly as big as they are require big magnum caliber bullets 338-340. Maybe having such magnum in hand would save the day. Only hope to stay alive having a 250-3000th or 270 to rely on is the hope you'll see a false charge instead of deadly charge. As for me. 12 ga. pump with extended mag tube. Having 8 rds of 1-1/4 lead ball. If it doesn't kill it you will get its attention to break off his charge.

GeauxTide

A charging bear will cover 50 yards in a couple seconds, so a 45-70, shooting hard cast 405s at 2000fps will do the most damage for that single shot.

reynolds357

Neither is a proper caliber to drop a charging bear. At 50 yrds a really big bear will have you for dinner if it wants. It is very surprising how fast afoot a charging bear is at this distance. Grizzly as big as they are require big magnum caliber bullets 338-340. Maybe having such magnum in hand would save the day. Only hope to stay alive having a 250-3000th or 270 to rely on is the hope you'll see a false charge instead of deadly charge. As for me. 12 ga. pump with extended mag tube. Having 8 rds of 1-1/4 lead ball. If it doesn't kill it you will get its attention to break off his charge.
The guide on Kodiak that a local guy went hunting with swears by his 10mm Glock.

stinkeypete

In the case of carrying bloody carcasses out by mule, horse, or packed on your back I admit that bears are a potential danger.

It's not "just" that I am carrying a high power rifle, my partner is carrying one, too. And we probably have a 3rd partner. Because that deep into the wilderness, turning an ankle could become a life threatening situation without simple assistance.

Two or three high powered rifles are going to make any handgun look like it's shooting rubber bands if a grizzly is after you.

The most proper response I can think of is "Ask your guide."

Last edited:
The guide on Kodiak that a local guy went hunting with swears by his 10mm Glock.
Stories in hunting camp while nursing a beverage is a wonderful way of killing time. Trick is getting another to believe such stories. lol
"A good story teller is surely worth their weight in gold."_ So my Father once told me in the later half of the 20th century >deer camp.

std7mag

While i'm in PA and don't have Grizly here, we do get some rather large Black Bear.
Having had a run in with a #400 Black bear at 25 +/- yards the other year i started carrying a rifle while out scouting & checking trail cameras.

While they will usually turn and get away from you, close encounters with a bull elk can be hair raising too. Especially at 7 yards & startled. (You & the elk!)

My Stevens 200 rebarreled in 250Savage is one of my lighter weight rifles. But after not having pass throughs on deer this last season, it's not the rifle i bring with me in bear territory. I leave it at home now, unless setting up in open areas for coyotes.

I have much more faith in my 7mm rifles. (I don't own or want anything larger)
Now my walk around rifles are my 280 Rem or 7mm Rem Mag.
My 284 Win weighing in at 10lbs isn't something i want to take long distances.
I'm not done with my 7mm-08AI yet.

44 AMP

Staff
No deer rifle is "inadequate" for bear, even really big ones. HOWEVER, often the SHOOTER is inadequate for the situation, particularly a surprise situation.

Bigger bullets tend to work better, but smaller bullets will work if YOU (not the rifle) put them in the right spot.

Reading through the thread to catch up (its been a year since it was last active) A couple of points stand out to me.

One is the discussion about speed of deployment between a slung rifle and a holstered handgun. Yes, the is some. Very little when the rifle is slung over the shoulder (and the shooter has practiced) and quite a bit more when the rifle is slung across the body (as the pics show).

There is slung, for transport, and there is slung for ready use. They are different modes of carry.

I make a distinction between hiking, moving in the woods or being at camp, and hunting.

Saw the argument about not carrying "3-4lbs" of weight as a handgun and carrying more rifle ammo, instead. This seems sensible, on a weight basis, but ONLY on a weight basis.

Another 20 rnds of ammo for your rifle might weigh as much as a pistol, but its a LOT slower to access and "deploy". You'll have to get it out of where ever you store it (bottom of your pack, perhaps??) and then get it into the rifle. and THEN bring the rifle into action.

Much different from drawing a loaded handgun from a holster and aiming it...

Any rifle good for deer will work for bear, if you are capable of doing your part right. If not, I suggest you work on that.... ;)

shafter

One thing to keep in mind if using a variable power scope is to keep it turned down to the lowest power setting unless actually making a distance shot. If you need it in a hurry while dressing out a kill or at any other time, having it set on a low setting will make shooting up close much easier.