Will you use some of your tax refund on gun-related purchases?

Rich Miranda

It's the time of year when many of us will be receiving an income tax refund. For the first time in my life, I will be receiving a substantial refund. I am able to use a portion of the money on something I want, which generally means guns/gun stuff.

I'm still narrowing down what I really want, but the list is short. I'll share mine after I get a few responses.

What about you? Do you have any plans to buy guns or gun paraphernalia specifically with your income tax refund? If so, what are they? Not a wish list, but your real plans on gun-related purchases. Would you buy this/these item(s) if you weren't getting a refund? Or maybe the refund allows you upgrade your plans....? Tell us about it.

vranasaurus

The wife and I have come to an agreement that our tax refund will be used toward some new guns.

I haven't decided whether I want an AR in 308 or a new service rifle upper and parts to build up this lower I have. I was dead set on the 308 but I have this naked RRA lower that is screaming for some new clothes.

She is trying to decide between a ROMAK 3, Sig in 9mm, or an AR 15.

CRUE CAB

Quick answer will be yes.
Probably ammo once I get my AR broken in. Maybe a few mods to it, extra mags and stuff.

1911rocks

Never have a refund. Bastards don't pay me interest, but will charge me interest if I screw up. They don't deserve my money. I pay for performance.

azredhawk44

Nope. Unfortunately.

Maybe something little like a PF-9 or a CZ-75 PCR, but that's it.

I'm getting a new roof and the beginnings of a solar panel system.

Mr. Walker

Never have a refund. Bastards don't pay me interest, but will charge me interest if I screw up. They don't deserve my money. I pay for performance.

This. Seriously, the bigger the refund, the more the .gov is playing you for a sucker. Do they DESERVE an interest-free loan from you?

...But since I don't have the werewithal to have NO taxes taken out and pay it all to them on April 14th, I'm working at getting the deductions down "just right." I only started later last year, so I will be getting a refund this year.

Any refund I get this year will go towards paying off the credit card. I shouldn't have any excess after that at all. But if I do, that's going into savings for now. My much-lusted-after 627 is going to have to wait till this summer, if I can maintain my financial discipline and self control.

Rich Miranda

Seriously, the bigger the refund, the more the .gov is playing you for a sucker. Do they DESERVE an interest-free loan from you?

Obviously, the answer to your question is a resounding 'no'. Some explaining, then on to gun-related stuff... I don't loan the government money. My 2009 tax situation is such that even though I barely paid any taxes, I ended up with a pretty large refund. I'll leave it at that. If you think about it, it's easy to figure out.

As for my plans...

- A new CCW pistol. My SP101 is great but I want a semi-auto to mix it up a little. I was strongly considering a Kahr T9, but since Ruger introduced it, the SR9c will almost certainly be the one.

- An IWB holster to go with the new pistol. Something like the CompTac CTAC. I already ordered the gun belt.

- A .22 pistol. I'm tired of seeing all of those huge packs of .22 sitting on the shelf as I buy the more expensive stuff. :) And it just so happens that my favorite handgun maker makes a pretty darn good rimfire! I like a 5-inch bull barrel, but I'm still undecided as to whether it will be a 22/45 or not. I like both. Thoughts?

- A Tipton cleaning rod made of that fancy carbon fiber. I've been unable to justify a $30 cleaning rod so far. I think a few more dollars weighing me down will do it.

- Collectible Ammo. I'm going to the St. Louis Int. Cartridge Show around Easter. My goal is to at least double my .38 and .357 headstamp collection. I have about 200 different headstamps now. So, 200 more is within reason.

OK, that's it. I could go on but then I'd be in 'wishlist' territory. The above is what I actually plan to buy. It comes to around $1000. A lot of money for me, but not an unreasonable amount to spend.

grymster2007

I haven't had a refund in 20 years. I'll be paying them. But Mrs. Grymster said I could buy a 1911, so maybe it would be a good idea for me to figure out what I want and buy it before she sees all that money going out on April 15. :)