Will women support Palin?

armedtotheteeth

Hey I like Coors! Mountain Hippies can make pretty durn good beer! :D Take it easy, my sister is a mountain Hippie up there in the Golden area. I was just hopeful to get Mega Whacko Barbara Streishand on Board with Palin, mainly as a slap in the face of the Dems

madmag

Palin Bounce

I just got this off the news.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080907/pl_politico/13228

McCain is ahead on the latest polls. I am sure due to the Palin effect. Not sure how much of this new lead is due to women coming on board, but probably is part of the bounce.

Interesting tonight watching an interview with Ferraro. She is officially supporting the Obama side, but she just cannot bring herself to say anything critical of Palin. You almost get the feeling she might pull the other lever when she is behind the voting curtain.

From Link:
McCain’s resurgence in the polls comes as Nielsen Media Research reported that the Republican convention earned more television viewers than the Democratic convention. Republicans earned an average audience of 34.5 million, while Democrats earned an average viewership of 30.2 million.

I doubt these viewers came on board to watch McCain.

Last edited:

Intune

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Monday-
McCain leads by four points among men while Obama leads by three among women.
On Tuesday, when Obama’s lead peaked, he had a fourteen point advantage among women.
I believe the new numbers answer the OP. That is one serious drop.

Potentially terminal for O's aspirations to be Commander In Chief. :eek:

Bruxley

What is always held up as more relevant, the electoral vote polls, shows that Obama is not only suffering from the traditional Convention bounce but continues to lose real ground. He's down 60 electoral votes in less then a month. REAL problem.

Sarah is the factor that keeps factoring in. Because she's a woman? Sure that has appeal, but more that she is a genuine conservative. There exist many people that wear liberal as a fighting word but liberal concepts LOSE ELECTIONS, period. Sarah's appeal is broad. Not just gender but authentic conservatism, authentic values, authentic leadership experience. She didn't need to twist her record into a pretzel to resemble leadership ability, it can be presented as-is because it IS leadership ability.

I predict Sarah to be held up as 'Reaganesque' when the other side can get past her being female.

All the hostility being brought to bear (back off it lately a hair) reminds people why 'liberal' has been almost an adhom for so long, they're hostility and 'America sucks and we will change it' attitude. Wonder why people perceive them as less then patriotic when they harp on America being 'fundamentally broken' so much.

Sarah reminded people that GENUINE leadership ability and conservatism are traits that are still available in their choice this November. Oh yeah, she' a she.....

That women would be drawn to consider her is juice, not base.

pax

The one thing I haven't seen poll numbers for is a really important question. We all know that the typical question is worded something like, "If the election were held today, would you vote for Candidate A or Candidate B?"

The real question that pollsters should be asking is, "If the election were held today, would you vote?"

Based on conversations I hear around town, I suspect that McCain's potential voters would all have answered "no" to that second question two months ago -- and are nearly all answering "yes" to it today.

pax

gc70

I have seen several polls that differentiated registered voters from likely voters. The most recent poll I found involving likely voters was the 9/8/2008 USA Today/Gallup Poll:

New USA Today/Gallup Poll: Likely Voters John McCain leads 54-44 over Obama, cuts Obama’s lead on economy to 3

While searching for polls, I came across this interesting poll related to guns:

Supreme Court Viewed More Favorably Following Gun Control Ruling

Sunday, June 29, 2008

The United States Supreme Court’s landmark ruling on the Second Amendment last week did more than clarify an important Constitutional principle—it also improved public perceptions of the Court itself.

Following the decision which uphold the right of citizens to bear arms, 34% of voters say the Supreme Court is doing a good or an excellent job. That’s an eight-point improvement in just a few days.

The last major Court ruling on this Second Amendment was issued nearly 70 years ago when justices upheld a federal ban on sawed-off shotguns. News of the newest Supreme Court action didn’t take long to reach voters. On the night the ruling was issued, 64% knew what the Court had decided. Among those who knew how the Court ruled, 63% agreed with the decision and 25% disagreed.

Sixty-one percent (61%) of voters now say that potential Supreme Court appointments are a Very Important voting issue this year. That’s up from 53% earlier in the week. ...

madmag

Sarah Palin has hit on an untapped reserve of women voters. The liberal feminist movement has had their voices heard for a long time. But there is a large group of liberated strong spirited women that identifies with Plain's conservative views. These women feel that conservatism and womens liberation can go hand & hand. Until now there has been no voice for these women. Now they see Sarah Palin as that voice.

black

Palin will bring more women in, just not the feminist ones The feminists are liberals first, females second, so don't count on them.

Webleymkv

Honestly, I really think Palin's gender is nowhere near as huge a factor as it's been made out to be. I think that there are probably a good number of conservative women who will appreciate Palin's values that will support her for it, but then again those same women are probably more likely to support McCain than Obama anyway. I think she may help to keep the minority card from being played as much as it might have been (I'll call your racist accusation and raise you a sexist accusation). However, I don't see the hardcore, far-left feminists that supported Hillary suddenly supporting Palin because quite simply their values don't match up. I do see Palin being a huge advantage in that she can mobilize the conservative base. Let's face it, many of us were lukewarm at best about McCain because we didn't feel he was conservative enough (discussion of third party voting and not voting seemed far more common than in previous elections). I think McCain was trying to, and seems to be succeeding in, convincing the conservative base that he truly is conservative. Personally, I was planning on holding my nose and voting McCain anyway, but now I can actually have a reason to be enthusiastic. Honestly, if I had my druthers, I'd take Palin for President and McCain for VP.

gc70

However, I don't see the hardcore, far-left feminists that supported Hillary suddenly supporting Palin because quite simply their values don't match up.

I didn't think so either until I took an eye-opening journey in the HillaryClintonForum. The comments there suggest that Hillary's supporters don't share Palin's values but see her as a focal point to protest their perceived mistreatment by the Obama camp. In fact, while they are declaring their intentions to vote McCain/Palin in 2008, they are also talking about how Hillary will be able to beat Palin in 2012.

Jeffenwulf

My wife hates Obama and won't vote Democrat this year. On the other hand, she dislikes Palin almost as much. With Obama it's a simple disagreement on various policies, with Palin it's because she's a woman. For whatever reason, she really doesn't want to vote for a woman no matter what her policies.

charles isaac

My wife chooses to have access to a revolver and will use it to stop anyone that would try to do harm to our family. She is not be a gun addict like myself, but she does not want that right taken away and believes people should work for their pay, so she would never vote for Obama.

The media has turned this election into 'Palin Vs Obama'. We both knew the day Palin was announced that she will win and will someday be president.

As a gun addict, it will be nice to have a president that represents me. We both think she is tough and kind of like the idea that she scares the hell out of the leftists with her piercing gaze. She even wields a magnum moose gun! Thank you God, for Governor and future President, Sarah Palin

Shorts

it will be nice to have a president that represents me.

Couldn't agree more. That line right there is how I've been feeling over here while we're stationed in Japan, in military service to the very country that we can see spiraling out of control in various aspects. We'll be coming home soon, and I love the place I'm from, but I'm real tired of all the idiots yelling and being heard and I loathe their message. And I'm tired of those idiots ruining what I love.

Redneckrepairs

Some women will , some wont . I will say this tho She has energised the wife and i to vote this election where we were not going to even bother before .

LHB1

My wife supports McCain/Palin and will cast her vote accordingly. I know because she made a point of telling me so!

orionengnr

She is the best thing that could have happened to the ticket.

She is energizing many fence-sitters and nose-holders (myself included) that have a big problem with McCain's policies and voting record.

If McCain wins, whoever floated the idea of Palin as VP deserves a medal.