Will they eat oranges.......??

bswiv

Let me preface this with the fact that the hog we have out in yard will not eat oranges unless we crush them and then only if he has nothing else.

Could be that he is spoiled.....

Here is the question.

Spread some oranges out in the woods the other day in the hopes that they would interest the hog and leave the bears disinterested.....( BEARS ARE PESTS!)....

Went to look at them today and they sit untouched??

Could be that the hogs have not found them but we put them close to a well used trail......

So what to think??

Scorch

Maybe if you peeled them and sectioned them. Oh, and a little bowl with a dainty spoon. And some whipped cream. But real cream, not that fake stuff. And not a lot, they have to watch their figures, you know . . .

:D

And a napkin, too, if you don't mind. Ooh! And fold it so it looks like a swan!

:D

I'm thinkin' they ain't likin' them arnjizz.

hoghunting

I get boxes of discard fruit and vegetables from the grocery store to use for hog bait. The hogs have eaten everything I've ever used, including oranges.

Pahoo

This is going to sound strange but just stating what I have seen. .... ;)

It's entirely possible that they just don't recognize certain foods that they are not familiar in their home range. That is if you only put them out by themselves. Once they get familiar and get a good tast of them, then the situation changes. ...... :)

An example is during the hard winter snow covered months, we set out some cracked corn in open areas, for Pheasants. At first, they were not going for it. Then we set some whole cobbed ears on top of the mounds and slowly but surely, they started eating the cobs first and eventually, the cracked corn on the ground. Eventually, the cracked corn was normal food for them. ........ :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Orange groves get hit by hogs and many doggers love the huntin' as it is high and dry and we can drive right up to load the tied up hogs... But I think the previous post stating they might not recognize them is pretty likely. Were any split open or all whole and intact? They will likely hit them when they get to stinkin' good.

Brent

sc928porsche

I was always under the impression that Hogs were like Goats. They would eat anything including stuff that was nailed down.

Doyle

Does Oprah eat donuts? Down here (in the middle of citrus central USA), the hog's fat can actually turn yellow in color from all the citrus they are eating. They will even pick the low-hanging fruit right from the tree.

43FLcracker

A buddy of mine's Grandfather owns a orange grove down by where I live. The hogs run rampant and love the oranges. Makes for some really fun hunting too. They just need to get used to the oranges, if its not their natural forage.

bswiv

Sounds like we need to give them a few more days.....will let you know.........Lord I hope the bears don't decide they like them....

Pahoo

bswiv
Could you please tell us where you live and whether you have opened up some of the oranges or left them intact ? .... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

bswiv

Putnam County, Fl.....

This is the north part of the state and there is a very good possibility that these hogs have never seen oranges before.

And yes.....Louann danced a jig on them so they are smashed.

These guys are the problem.............

CDY_0003.jpg

Hog Buster

Having caught more than a few I can say they’ll eat about anything. However if it’s something they don’t readily recognize as food it may take a while, if ever.

We’ve baited with corn mostly, they eat it up, along with just about every coon, possum, rabbit, bird, you name it. To stop this we poured diesel on the corn, the hogs still ate it, other varmints didn’t.

We tried pumpkin, sweet potato, banana, and others. Some they ate, others they ignored. Table scraps (garbage) worked pretty good, but every animal in the woods ate it too, bad choice. They totally ignored soy beans. Boiled crawfish or shrimp heads worked OK, but can be a mess to deal with, like garbage. I have been told that a can of carrots with holes punched it works too, but have never tried it. When hungry or thirsty they’ll uproot and chew sugar cane. They don’t seem too particular, if they recognize it as food they’ll eat it.

Another thing I’ve noticed, they like Black Magic Deer Attractant. Any place we spread this they rooted up the ground. In fact they tore up a rather large spot in front of my deer stand.

It’s been raining so much here it’s been difficult to get to the traps. We tripped the traps and are waiting for drier weather before resetting them. When we do I intend to sprinkle some Black Magic on the ground in them and see what happens.

Bears aren't a problem here yet, but we use open top traps so deer and the occasional bear can escape.

Last edited:

Pahoo

Somewhat off subject but I saw a documentary about a film company making a horror movie where hogs were suppose to eat some dummies. They molded hands arms and legs from some food material that hogs eat. they placed these in the pens with the hogs and the hogs would not touch them. I don't remember how they resolved this problem. ..... :confused:

I have also noticed that any particular animal, has a priority list of what he likes to eat, in his enviroment. As the prefered food depletes, they work down to the bottom of the list. As another example, rabbits will leave usually leave fruit trees alone but as winter progresses, they will eat the bark or cabnium off a tree. Last fall, I trimmed some of my willows and left the small limbs in a pile. They were left untouched at first but as the winter progressed, they started eating them and now, most are almost gone. ..... :)

Another example is Squirrels and nuts. We have Walnut, some Hickory and Oak trees in our yard/lot. They go for the Hickories first, then the Wallnuts and leave the Acorns for last. .... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

markj

Ever been to a hog facility? they will eat each other, hogs jsut dont seem to care what is there, they usually will eat it. In the 60s I used to help my cousin on his hog farm, was free range them days. Used to throw in pot plants, snakes, old food that smelled so bad you wanted to barff up when you got close to it. They would even eat a person if they got in there with them.

Fun times was get a 6 ft snake and toss it in there, them hogs would sqeel and each one would take a bite :)

When bored we would toss a rock at one, he would turn to the next one and the fight was on :) we was kids and had no xbox, no ps3 no tv. Life was better then I am sure of that :)

Pahoo

We regularly shot pigeons out of my buddy's barn, above their hog confine and the hogs just looked up, in anticipation for they knew we would toss in the dead pigeons. They would squeal, run off and come back in fast to get those pigeons. I've heard that hogs can be very smart but I wouldn't know. I do know that if you get one that knows how to jump a gate, you have got a bunch of trouble.

By the way, some of the best wing shooting you will ever get, is pigeons. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Hog Buster

It’s kinda hard to figure, but many, many years ago as a kid we fed our pen raised hogs just about everything and they gobbled it up. The wild ones seemed a bit more picky. They would chow down on local produce, but things that weren’t grown locally usually laid around a while before they chomped them up. They did like gut piles, no matter what it was from and shame on the chickens that wondered into the woods.

As for being smart, they’re pretty smart. At least as smart as some dogs. We caught and raised wild shoats on several occasions. Wild as hell when first caught, penned up they tamed down rather fast. The last 2 we raised, got up to about 100 pounds each, would follow me and the grand kids around like dogs. Funny sight, two big hairy sows following the kids looking for a handout. Came when you called them and loved to be scratched. These two would eat anything, unlike their really wild brethren. They never got as fat as their domestic relatives either, even though they were fed hog chow.

They were a mess running loose. Had a taste for chicken, rooted up the old lady’s flowers and vegetable garden, made a new wallow after each rain and smelled the place up. I turned them into sausage and that was that........., but never told the grand kids........

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I think they are more intelligent than a dog. They also have the ability to reason if even on the elementary level.

Brent

They typically only eat oranges when they begin to rot. Second, this years acorn crop in Florida is the biggest I have seen in sometime. Hogs will pass up anything when the acorns are still on the ground. I have two inches of corn uder my feeder, and watch the hogs pass it up and go right under a black jack oak that has been dropping like crazy. Some of the corn has started to sprout.

markj

They typically only eat oranges when they begin to rot

Fermented? hic..... drunken hogs....... LOL

Them acorn fed hogs have a better taste, only thing I have found that makes a hog taste better. I have milk fed them, fed them only bread, then only corn and vitamins. All taste the same. Cooked a bunck on the smoker last Saturday for the game stuff altho I fell asleep......