Will these rifle rounds last?

Model12Win

Most who shoot the big game African cartridges reload.

Those that don't, are often so rich it doesn't matter to them.

These are not calibers for the everyman, but they will stick around for years due to the microcosm that is the Safari crowd.

eastbank

i believe a .375 H&H mag with the right loads will take care of 99 percent of the animals on earth. i shot a big cape buffalo cow with a 9.3x62 ms at about 80 yrds and it was a short track and i think the 35 whelen loaded with the right bullets would have given the same results. eastbank.

T. O'Heir

.500 Nitro Express dates from 1890.
.505 Gibbs dates from 1905.
.460 Weatherby Magnum dates from 1957.
.458 Lott dates from 1971.
They've already lasted.
In any case, the rifles they come in are not for the faint of pocket book and most people who use that stuff don't care what the ammo costs.

Speaking of all these insane "hot dog" rounds haha, I have always heard the .700 Nitro Express is the largest shoulder fired hunting round... until I heard about the .950 JDJ now this cartridge is as big as a tube of sausage at Walmart and it's kinda hard to believe although it is in a regular rifle and could be shoulder fired I guess if you could hold the rifle long enough it weights like 25 or some odd pounds anyone else heard about it?

Rancid

I will get me a 375 H&H one day. You can handload for it and probably have a decent BG rifle. Ballistically it is close to the 30-06 but with a 300 grain bullet. :D It should do well on an NA big game.

I handload for a 30-378 Mag and with a brake it is very pleasant to shoot. In fact it is my favorite rifle. Down right fun! Factory ammo retails for around $130 a box.

Ifishsum

I want a 460wm in the worst way.
I do believe that is the way they come from the factory. Please shoot one to verify.

I truly LOLed at that comment Scorch. I feel pretty much the same about big magnum rifles, if I can't spend an afternoon at the bench with one I probably don't want it.

BlueTrain

After reading this thread, I'm almost ashamed to admit that I (only) want a 9.3x62 Mauser. I can easily afford the ammunition but I can't afford the rifle.

I understand that a lot of high-grade English double rifles could be had relatively cheaply once the ammunition became scarce after WWII because the British ammunition companies quit loading cartridges for them. In fact, in old gun catalogs, there used to be a separate chart just for English cartridges and another one for continental cartridges, even though there was a lot of overlap between them and American cartridges. It's all history now.

mapsjanhere

9.3x62 fits in the standard Mauser action, the rifle does not need to be expensive. CZ makes a very nice 550 FS with Mannlicher style stock for under $1,000. And the Prvi ammo can be has for under $1 per round. Probably the most affordable of all elephant capable rounds around.