Will the .45 GAP go the way of the .41 AE?

blackamos

I was looking through some old gun mags I have sitting in the basement and noticed the back in the early 90's the .41 AE 9mm combo autos where all the rage. I remember wanting one but at the time getting a good deal on a H&K P7m13 and buying that instead. Buy the time I had the funds to start buying buying handguns on a more the yearly basis they where beat out my the .40 S&W. I like the idea of a 45 GAP but will it just all but die off and I will be stuck hand loading it forever?

Sturmgewehre

I hope so, I'm tired of making these.

photo-71.jpg

:D

vranasaurus

I think what will help the 45 GAP is that you have a major firearms manufacturer behind it. But I am still not sure it will stick around.

Is the purpose of the cartridge to duplicate 45 ACP performance in a smaller framed gun?

bigghoss

Will the .45 GAP go the way of the .41 AE?

lets hope so

what was the purpose or reason for developing the 45 gap in the first place?

duplicate .45acp in a smaller grip, didn't turn out quite as well as planned then they came out with the glock 21sf

blackamos

It is a little hotter than the .45 ACP just like the .41 was a little hotter then the 40 S&W. It comes in a package about the same size as the 40S&W but has the knock down power of the 45 ACP.

Jason_G

It is a little hotter than the .45 ACP just like the .41 was a little hotter then the 40 S&W. It comes in a package about the same size as the 40S&W but has the knock down power of the 45 ACP.

It should also be pointed out though, that .45 ACP in hotter loadings will easily surpass .45 GAP.

Jason

Technosavant

Likely so. It doesn't have much about it that is unique enough for consumers to demand it. If there isn't enough demand, ammo and gun makers won't bother making ammo and guns for it. As said, its only real reason for being is to allow for .45ACP performance in a slimmer grip frame, but it doesn't appear that the firearms community is overrun with demand for that. Makers have either shoehorned .45ACP into smaller guns or consumers have satisfied themselves with 9mm or .40S&W performance.

I just don't see it gaining any more traction than it already has. Not that it is a bad cartridge, but that the .45ACP does well enough that there just isn't enough demand left over for the .45GAP.

Webleymkv

It may not completely die off, but I think it'll wind up limping around on crutches and dragging an O2 tank. Glock is the only one making a gun in this caliber (Springfield dropped both their offerings) and those don't really seem to be going anywhere. The dealers in my area quit stocking the guns and have the same boxes of ammo that they had a year ago. I see Glock eventually discontinuing the caliber as well as most ammo makers. I'm sure somebody will still make ammo, but .45GAP will likely wind up in the same boat as .357 Maximum.

45_Shooter

I hope so, I'm tired of making these.

Amen!

Honestly, S&W made a 10 round .45 ACP fit in the same basic size gun as their other M&P offerings, and other companies can and will do the same including Glock (they've already pulled out of the GAP market IMO with the 21SF). There is too much out there supporting .45 ACP and too little benefit to go to the .45 GAP.

The caliber may continue a little for wheelgun shooters using moon clips that want a slightly faster reload, but I don't expect it to make too many new inroads, and would be surprised if any new guns were chambered for it.

Officer's Match

Guys, I really don't understand the acrimony towards the GAP. It isn't hurting you guys that don't want to use it, so why the need to bad mouth it?

If you ever get a chance to shoot a Glock 38, you may just find you like it. Any one near Columbus, Ohio that wants to try one, shoot me a pm and see what I mean. It is the best combination of power, accuracy, balance and size I've experienced in a fighting handgun. Loaded with 9+1 rounds of 45 power (the factory "8" rounders hold 9 with no problem) in a G19 size factor, with a much more controllable recoil impulse than a 23, I just love this pistol. I will definitely get a G39. The GAP is the only way to a 45 Baby Glock. I seriously doubt I'll ever want a Glock in another caliber, unless I get a 10mm.

Your question triggered (no pun intended) a memory I had about a member here that's...well...enthusiastic. I kinda just forgot about him since I haven't seen posts from him in a long time...

Then, you come along with this thread. I just had to dig. And here's what I found. I was laughing so hard rereading those posts that my abs were cramping up. GAP fan or not, you can't help but chuckle....or be left in stitches....:D

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244310

Do I DARE post to bring this up from the grave??? Nah, I don't want to be more of a hypocrite than I already am...:)

45reloader

Will the GAP stay around.
Ask yourself this
1. How many different rounds are available.
2. Can you find the round everywhere like the 40 S&W that is a "new" caliber
3. COST can you afford to shoot this caliber.NO this economy will kill the GAP

I think it's a good idea.They found the 45ACP made a grip to big for small hands.The GAP slimmed down the grip and didn't reduce over all power of the 45.
But "we" the average shooter want to be able to get cheap ammo locally so we can enjoy the gun we purchased.