Wiley Clapp GP100

EdInk

You are worrying over nothing. You could probably remove even more metal from the top strap and still have it be perfectly safe. It's a darn good looking gun and I bet the 3.5" barrel balances almost perfectly. I have a 4.2" blued GP100 and find it "just a tad" nose heavy. I feel is due to the full underlug. (One day, I may send it off to get slabsided or have the underlug cut.) It's not really a big deal thought and still feels better than most other .357 service wheelies.

Also, I give them kudos for using the old-style (Lett) factory rubber grips. I wonder if Hogue, TALO, or Ruger bought/copied the mold design? I know they aren't surplus rubber with new wood because they have the "WC" logo on the backstrap. (Lett out of business a few years ago, hence the switch to the standard Hogue Monogrip.) Regardless, I think most people will prefer it. The only way they could have done better is to have used the "compact grip" that came on the 3" and fixed sight models. (These were the ones that used SP101 insert panels.) I have a pair on my GP100 and think they are great.

Crazy88Fingers

If there was any chance of this thing blowing off someone's hand, there's no way Ruger would have let it out the door.

They've been making some pretty good profits this year. No point in spending it all on lawyers.

I bet even with the thinner top strap it's still stronger than anything S&W makes.

But, I like my guns as thick as a brick. I don't have to trickle my max loads because I know if I'm a few tenths of a grain over my GP can handle it.

Viper225

The Model Number for the Blued one was in a catalog probably a year ago. As far as I know it is not out yet. The blued one has a different front sight from what I remember about it. Probably a prototype picture of one.

My brother has a Stainless Steel Willey Clap GP100. We ran it by to see Ron Power (Power Custom). He went over it tuning a little here and their. Some serious polishing of a few parts, and a set of Wolff Springs. It is as nice as any Combat Tuned S&W.

It is my brothers Concealed Carry, and IDPA SSR Revolver.
The GP100 has the same cylinder size as a 686, so Safariland Speedloaders for a 686 work with a GP100.

My brother loves his.

Bob

Last edited:

tomrkba

"biggest selling point is its near indestructibility"

Ummm...no. GP100's can break just like any other revolver. Treat it well and it won't come up.

stormyone

<<<Ummm...no. GP100's can break just like any other revolver. Treat it well and it won't come up.>>>

Ummmm... Yes. Any revolver can break, but the Ruger revolvers are stronger by design.

Jeff #111

RUKGP-33-NVK.jpg

tomrkba

Ummmm... Yes. Any revolver can break, but the Ruger revolvers are stronger by design.

Stronger how? I do not see this specified by the cheerleaders. I just prefer to keep expectations realistic rather than parrot ideas.

People overemphasize this attribute when speaking of Ruger revolvers. I see a tendency on forums to expand the idea past a strong frame and cylinder. The small parts are important and break like any other gun. They are not indestructable at all and a double charge will burst a cylinder. That very thick cylinder wall on the Redhawk is a reloader's dream, but it can be pushed too far.

Last edited: