Wild Hog Hunting - what rifle?

Saltydog235

Now I only take head shots and havent had one go more than 3 feet from where it was standing when I pulled the trigger.

Yep, only time I take a body shot is when I have one that won't stay still more than a second or two.

rickyrick

Neck of a pig is a big target, much bigger than trying for the heart. Anything with a little oomph (doesn't need to be much) will knock them out if struck in the neck.
Just bellow the ear is best, and of course the head. I've taken very few heart/lung shots on pigs.

kcub

There's a world of difference between a 100 lb. and a 600 lb. pig.

My dad and I killed a 300 pounder and it took a 257 Wby in the neck, a 30-06 in the lungs and a 44 magnum in the brain.

Guv

I have some 170gr RP hollow points, these are some tough bullets. Don't deform in the magazine either.

Dead

did not see a hog when I was out there, brought the carbine with me using 110gr fmj ammo. was using a fixed location, and no worry about hog that would charge unless they could go through a wall. will try again next time.

might try an AK next time, or AR.

979Texas

I know at least in Texas and Louisiana we can hunt with fmj's. I'm sure other states allow it too. Not the best choice for most hunting but depending on caliber with hogs it's not always a bad choice.

kcub

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569106

Per post #21 in this active 30-30 ammo thread:

Any factory load with 170 grain bullets.

I have used 150 grain bullets on large western mule deer and never had an exit. I like to have an exit evey time.

On the other hand I have never had a 170 stay in a deer, so I say "170 grain"

Based on this real world experience 170 grain sounds like a better hog hunting load for more assured penetration and power.

Plus it just looks so bad to the b-b-b-b-b-bone!

IMG_3990.jpg

Last edited:

458winshooter

hog rifle

30 cal. carbine just might work if loaded with something like Lyman 311410, its a 130 gr that Lyman says can be driven over 1750 fps.Where I hunt most everybody has a 30-30 or a 35 Rem levergun I mostly carry a 7 1/2 in Super Blackhawk 44 mag or a Rossi 357 mag Puma levergun.I have earlier this year bought a Hipoint carbine in 45 acp to try out.I am casting 230 gr from two different Lee molds a roundnose and a flat point.I have one in 9 mm but although it is extremely accurate I think it too iffy.Recoil is not bad so fast follow up shots would be possible.We'll see.......