Wild Hog Hunting - what rifle?

Dead

I can use either a M1 carbine or a win94 30/30. i prefer the carbine for handling etc.

hunting is in LA, for what could be up to 200-300lbs hogs.

Ammo for the carbine is soft point, the 30/30 is hollowpoint, range would be less than 50 yards..

rickyrick

the one you can shoot the best... if there's a huge difference. If there's not a huge difference in your accuracy with each rifle then choose the 30/30

kcub

I'm not familiar with 30-30 hollow point but it sounds iffy for hog, like it might expand too quick especially for a shoulder or head shot. Can't you just pick up a box of soft nose 30-30? Not hard to find.

Last edited:

Kosh75287

I'm with the rest of them. Use the .30-30 with 150 gr. or heavier projectiles. Hogs can get downright obstinate about dying, especially when agitated. Use something that'll penetrate deep and rip up important stuff.

Last edited:

mxsailor803

Go with the 30-30 using a soft point like Remington Core-loks. Granted I've killed hogs with a 22lr up to a 300winmag. The 30Carbine may work just fine but I prefer now that I'm older a little more take down energy. My go to right now is my 629 Smith .44mag as backup to my Henry Golden Boy .44mag. Be safe and enjoy. If you think a hog is dead, take another shot to make sure. I killed a sow a couple months ago with my .308 (thought I did). Eyes were open, no breathing, kicked her in the rump one time no movement. I grabbed her back legs and she woke up quick, fast, and in a hurry to get out of dodge. I was able to hold on with one hand pulled out my GP100 and shot her in the head.

979Texas

Like Rick said shot placement is the most important thing, therefore use which ever one you shoot the best unless the difference is to big. But all that aside I would hands down go with the .30-30, it has better but not great ballistics, more importantly a heavier bullet for better sectional density which gives you better penetration. Unless you are going for the much smaller brain or spine shots penetration is a huge issue with hogs. And I would go with a soft point definently not a hollow point unless it maybe a Barnes bullet, or Hornady's new hog bullet line. Bottom line out of your choices I would go with the .30-30 soft point bullet hands down. Just out of curiosity what hollow point bullet for 30-30 were you talking about? Soft points are FAR more common for that caliber than hollow points.

Dead

not sure what the hollowpoints are otherthan winchester. i loaded up ball ammo for the carbine. no issue with a back stop as there is 2+ miles of woodland property beyond the area i will be hunting on.

I know how the carbine shoots, but have only fired the winchester 2x. Most of thr hogs will be sma than 200-300 pounds, that is prob the max I will see.

200-300 lb hogs @50 yards? I would strongly suggest against the .30 Carbine unless you are going to be in a stand off the ground. That is just a personal safety issue.

kcub

What are you going to do if you see a real big one? Forget about the 30 Carbine. Get a box of heavy 170 grain soft point 30-30.

CarJunkieLS1

200-300 pound hogs at less than 50 yards...

If you are going to be walking/stalking then a 12gauge with slugs would be the one choice. A 12gauge with slugs KNOCKS THEM DEAD!!! If your only possible choices is a .30 Carbine or 30-30 then I'd take the 30-30 because it offers much more energy over the .30 Carbine.

TimSr

30-30, buy a box of 150 or 170gr soft points.

Shot placement is everything, until you place the shot where it won't penetrate enough to do the job.

Model12Win

I'd certainly use the .30-30, with soft points.

The carbine is going to be limited to lighter bullets, not a huge concern on 200-300 lbs hogs but still. I'd feel much better with a 150 grain or so .30-30 soft point traveling the same or better speed as a 110 grain .30 carbine soft point.

Just my rolled oats. Happy hunting! I've got most of a hog taking up a LOT of my freezer space. Might have to have me some more pork steak tomorrow for dinner! :D I used a Mosin Nagant M44 w/ 203 grain soft points, worked very well and not too much meat damage.

Scorch

I have shot dozens of hogs with a 30-30. Never lost one. I would not trust a 30 Carbine against a big hog except in a full frontal head shot.

Will-j

kcub:
Being strictly a handloader I don't even touch factory loads in any caliber I shoot. Having said that...... My neighbor/hunting partner sometimes shoots his 336 Marlin .30-30 and I pick him up some Win. Power Max Bonded in.....150gr PHP. They are D E A D L Y on the 250-300lb tuskers which invade our deer feeders. At 25-50yds. broadside shots into the boiler room do the job very adequately. UPC is 0[20892 21803]1 and WW label [X30306BP]. As I stated before....I'm strictly a reloader, but...This load is one which I think I would keep a box or two on the shelf as back-up for my three .30-30s, should I run dry with my loads and need some ammo. They're every bit as accurate as anything else he's run through his rifle.
Give them a try if you can find any in your area.

WILL.

Rmart30

I would use the 30/30 and put the sights under their ear.
We shoot the hogs for meat not just to get rid of them. After loosing the biggest boar hog Id ever seen while hunting to a broadside 30-06 shot. Now I only take head shots and havent had one go more than 3 feet from where it was standing when I pulled the trigger. Farthest shot was 225 yards with a 223. Crosshairs under the ear and bang flop.