Wife surprised me, wanting CC class - need gun

MLeake

603Country, some advice if she hasn't shot before.

1) Have her check out Kathy Jackson's (aka Pax in this forum) website, http://corneredcat.com

2) Realize that the most common problems new shooters have with autos can be corrected by:
a) Getting a high grip, with the web of the hand as close to the curve of the backstrap's upper tang as possible, to minimize lever arm and moment for muzzle rise; this not only limits muzzle rise, but it also helps give the frame the resistance it needs to let the slide function properly.
b) Aligning the pistol with the long bones of the forearm, getting the backstrap into the web of the hand, not against the base of the thumb;
c) Keeping a firm grip; this not only helps with recoil, but it also helps minimize the milking effect of the other fingers trying to close, sympathetically with the trigger finger, and pulling the muzzle down; forget about relaxed grips, grip to crush;
d) Pulling the trigger, straight back, smoothly; the high, crush grip will help minimize movement of the gun off-target during the pull;
e) Getting a good, weight forward stance. Shoulders forward, to help absorb recoil. Front knee bent, to allow the torso to push forward - instead of leaning back, which is the exact wrong thing to do when learning to shoot a centerfire gun.
f) Not doing what I had been doing, without realizing it - looking up between shots to see where I'd hit, and unconsciously pulling the gun up during the shot - Kathy Jackson caught me doing that, fixed it, and all of a sudden the occasional high flyers pretty much went away. Focus on front sight, don't worry about the hit until you are done shooting.

Massad Ayoob's StressFire has some pretty good shooting techniques for SD training. You might want to check that out, too.

ClydeFrog

PX4 C model 9x19mm, sub-compact Beretta....

I didn't read all the newer posts, but if you & your spouse buy a PX4 C format or the smaller sub-compact, make sure she can properly load, unload and fire the semi auto pistol.
If either of you lack the hand strength or dexterity to work a semi auto pistol, there could be major problems in a lethal force incident filled with stress, chaos, etc.
I like the low recoil engineering of the PX4 C & the new ambi compact model. A decent CLP like Eezox, LPX or Weaponshield will do fine.

603Country

Underneath the 'girlie girl' is a real tomboy. She was working that gun just fine in the store. She took quite a shine to it.

The reason I got rid of the few semi-autos I had (years ago) was that I really had no need for a semi. The Python was all I needed for what I did (hunting and target shooting). And, there was a concern on my part about the complexity of a semi at 3 am, when you might find that you need to defend yourself. I thought it might be a bit too much for my wife, because she didn't shoot much back then. So, following the K.I.S.S principle, I got her a snubbie 38. Can't get much simpler than that. Now, and particularly with semis like the PX4, if you keep one in the pipe all you do is flip off the safety and pull the trigger in DA mode. That's pretty simple too.

langenc

Seems you are trying to get the same gun or two for each of you.. That probably wont work.

Many husband/wives who jog rarely jog together. They have diifferent needs and to speed etc. The same for the guns.

You have had lots of advice. Maybe someone told you-go to the gun shop. YOU wait in the car or go across the street for snack/coffee. Let her deal with what SHE wants/needs. You can pick out yours later, if you havent already.

603Country

We are only going to buy the one new semi. And, I'll be the one carrying it most all of the time (carry out the garbage, carry the luggage, carry the gun). I just want one that she's very familiar with and proficient with. Of course, that's just today's plan. Who knows about tomorrow or next year. If she decides that this is indeed 'her gun', then I'll get another of these or whatever else I would prefer - which might be this pistol in 45 ACP.

ClydeFrog

Simple? Not so fast!....

I'd say a regular PX4 F series is not quite as "simple" as a C(constant action) model when you break it down;

In a serious use of force event, you or your wife(or any other trained adult) would need to quickly obtain the PX4 F, take the slide mounted safety off, identify & maybe fire on a major theat. After you or your wife fire the F model, the semi auto will be in "single action" mode. You may be required to detain or hold a violent felon at gun-point(wounded or not).
Would you want to be in that event with a pistol that requires a light(4-5lb) pull or a 8-10lb trigger stroke?
Could you explain to a jury or a police detective how or why you removed a safety or why you had to use lethal force in a critical event?
As posted many times before on this & other tactics forums, real defense shootings are not like TV or movies. You can't cock hammers or wave guns around or make corny one-liners when you shoot at a subject.
These should be your concerns when buying a protection or carry handgun.

230therapy

Gun range...rent many guns and shoot them! She'll find one she likes.

Other than that, the requirements fit a phaser from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

603Country

Ya'll calm down...I'm not new out of the packing crate. I've had trigger time on pistols of various types for the last 50 years, and I carried while in the USMC Military Police, though I never had a confrontation that required anything more than the mace (CS or CN?) that we carried. I've got a pistol trophy or two that I won with my old S&W Model 41 (another gun I wish I hadn't sold). I had a general idea of what I wanted in a new semi, and I think that I found it in the PX4. And...if it turns out that it isn't exactly what I need, I'll get something else. I asked a lot of questions about pistol recommendations because much has changed since I bought a pistol more complicated than my old Python. Input from ya'll was very helpful in getting a base of info that I could use on my shopping trips. As for a confrontational situation on the ranch or on the road, I hope that never happens.