Wife killed her first deer!!

Snyper

If I can achieve the same accuracy with 95gr Partitions as she gets with 95gr NBT's there isn't a deer that she can't drop.
There isn't one she can't drop with the BT

The shot angle and placement is what caused the problem

reynolds357

Tahunua, you are again making assumptions. You are correct, our deer limit is very high. In addition to that I can go shoot deer at night on the bean fields any time I am in the mood. (Ag permit farmers around here recruit people to shoot the deer)
Having said that, I have shot ballistic tips in, 6mm, .25, .26, .27, 7mm, and .30. In 6mm the ballistic tip holds up very well on Whitetail from the 243WSSM. Unless you go wildcat, you do not get any faster than that. It stands up to the .257 WBY and .25-06. Stands up well to the .264 Win mag. It stands up to the .270 WBY. I really do not know what else a non dangerous thin skinned game bullet is supposed to do. Unless you are planning on pushing them with a ridiculous wildcat, they are very suitable for deer sized game. They work very well on boar as well. Even though the RUM pushes it outside its design range, it hold up well in the 7Rum as well.

Granted, the 6mm and .257 rarely exit, but they make a devesdating bloody mess. Usually DRT.

jimbob86

they make a devesdating bloody mess.

If making a ..... (whatever) ..... bloody mess of a game animal is the object of the excercise ...... count me out.

I hunt to kill the animal ...... not shred it. I've a grinder for that. :D

CarJunkieLS1

Snyper you are 100% correct the bullet placement it what caused it to "blow up" if it had been a double lung I'm sure it would've exited. It did kill the deer, but for future hunts she will be shooting a controlled expansion bullet. Is it necessary NOPE but extra insurance doesn't hurt.

reynolds357

I am glad I do not live in most places. Sounds like most places is a terrible place to live. It is legal here so long as the paperwork is in order. DNR comes and either hauls off the deer or authorizes the farmer to bury them.

Last edited:

Geezerbiker

I could see myself spending winters in Alabama or Georgia. One of my Kinfolk was Governor of AL way back when...

It's not likely to happen but if I win the lottery, I now know where my winter home will be... :cool:

Tony

trapper9260

That is a nice eating deer.That is the main thing I like eating them also.Keep it up and if a buck dose show it it is only a bonus.

TimSr

Congratulations Mrs. Carjunkie! My proudest trophy mount is a doe because of the efforts I put into taking her. Hopefully this is teh first of many more. When my son got his first deer (button buck) we had it munted as well. Memories for a lifetime.

I'm a big fan of controlled expansion bullets. Many times they are unnecessary, but using them will not exactly drive you to the poor house when you fire a single shot in the season, and theres nothing wrong with a little insurance for those occasional entrance through bone shots. I've never recovered a Nosler Partition or a Speer Grand Slam, but I like what they leave behind. They expand as easily as anythng else, its just llimited. Nothing worng with trying to change something that you see and don't like. I've made several "corrections" in my ammo choices through the years based on experiences like these.

Happy Hunting!