Why would you do this to a Mauser?

Byte

I think he did that as a joke.....at least I hope so.

Has to be...ACOG's don't have unlimited eye relief as would be required in a Scout setup! Least I can't recall one that does. :confused:

Pretty fugly for sure.

Byte

taylorce1

If the price ever dips down to around $200 I might bid on it. Added it to my watch list, I could always use another good 98 action for a future project. When he wakes up and realizes his silk purse is a sows ear I'll bid on it.

petru

I think its up to us all to try and educate people about destroying historical military rifles as they are becoming more and more valuable and if and when the supply dries up or is cut off from importation in the future (it happened a few decades ago and was later restored) then even the bottom feeder you bought today for 100 bucks could jump as much as 3 or 4 times in value over night.

I really get fed up with people who say "its my gun and if I want to destroy it by altering it I will". Facts are it is not your gun, as you are only the temporary caretaker of it and you will soon pass over into the next world, maybe sooner than you think. Future generations will condemn the destruction of historical military rifles by converting them to sporters.

Think about it, how would you as an American feel if you saw a 45/70 trapdoor
Springfield used in the battle of the Little Big Horn that some idiot had cut the barrel back and mounted an electronic aim point sight on as his idea of the ideal scout rifle. If you could get your hands on him you would probably pound on him. Its the same with historical military rifles and future generations will shake there heads and say "what in the world were those people thinking and how in the world could such organizations (that should have known better) like gun magazines convince people to practice this mass destruction.

Remember even though Mr. Bubba’s head is as thick as cement, even he can get greedy when he sees that spending 500 bucks to turn a gun worth 1,000 bucks into a 75 dollar junker makes no economic sense. His gun will never be worth much more than junk but left in its original military configuration it will continue to escalate in value no matter what model gun he bought or how cheap a price he originally paid for it.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Dollars to doughnuts, I bet the P-rail underneath is attached with "tactical black" drywall screws...:D
Brent

bclark1

I see what you're saying petru. A lot of folks feel that way about a lot of items - the US doesn't, but other nations actually have rights that travel with artwork, for example. For example, an artist might retain "moral rights" in his art to prevent its abuse.

I mention that to show there is a good deal of support for what you're getting at. I think it's complicated, and especially with mass-produced, hopefully-identical-to-spec industrial products, it becomes even more complicated. But that's a tangent we don't necessarily need to chase.

I mostly just wanted to remind that one man's garbage is another's gold. I don't think it's bad to joke about things that are silly (I think most agree that rifle's silly), but a lot of things look silly to a lot of people. I'm just personally hesitant to ever outright condemn a particular modification, accessory, weapon, etc. on the basis that you've now just suggested a restriction on firearms - and we all know where that goes. It's unfortunate, I agree, but posterity has to pay part of freedom's price.

radshop

Facts are it is not your gun, as you are only the temporary caretaker of it and you will soon pass over into the next world, maybe sooner than you think. Future generations will condemn the destruction of historical military rifles by converting them to sporters.
Petru, I respectfully disagree. I think what the guy did to the rifle was pretty stupid, but I respect private property rights. The implication of your ideas is that no one has property rights. If you don't want anyone to alter historic rifles, raise enough funds to buy them all, then you can keep them pristine. People should be allowed to be stupid with their own stuff - if you want to prevent them, buy the stuff before they do it.

astromanluca

Look at it this way, guys. If you want to practice mounting stuff to a rifle, what better platform for practice is there than an old battle rifle? They're cheap, plentiful, sturdy, and many aren't in good enough shape to really be worth babying.

I'd certainly rather practice on one of those first before drilling into a nice rifle!

sureshots

Hotdogs

Looks like A HOG gun to me. If you can't hit them(with that scope) surely we can stick them with the Bayonet.

HiBC

I saw a 34 Ford Victoria that had been chopped into a dirt track stock car once.I bet a lot of 57 Ford 2 door hardtops went to the crusher.
These days,it doesn't make a lot of sense to begin with a complete decent battle rifle most of the time if you want a custom rifle.
The value of the pristine ones makes it less feasible.
At the same time,,something like a more common k-98 or a brazilian or? with a cracked stock or minor pitting or some mismatched numbers can be made into a fine beater rifle. Outfits like Sarco have boneyard actions.Yeah,chopped.An iron sight rain rifle.A brother-in law loaner.a 7x57 for a kid.An 8x57 bear gun more effective than any handgun I can think of.All of these uses put that old battle rifle to work.A complete pristine battle rifle will mostly gather dust on the rack.(In my case,anyway)
This fine specimen we have before us will likely become a $75 project.A rifle like this is the basis of a decent rifle once we strip the silliness off of it.
With all due respect to those who own good modern rifles,I don't feel inspired to use a Rem or a savage to build a rifle and I don't often buy an off-the shelf rifle.You might hate to see the old battle rifles go away.What about the fading away of someone who can thread and chamber and use a chisel and a file?The old Springfield sporter was a big part of what put bolt guns in the hands of the American hunter.Would we have had a PO Ackley or a Trinidad Gunsmith school without converting battle rifles? Douglas,or Shilen?Timney? Weaver?
Folks,I think if there was not for the economics of the demand for old battle rifles as project platforms for hunting rifles,more than likely they all would have been SCRAPPED OUT !! Torched.
As far as this specimen,Thomas Edison tried over 3000 times before he got the lightbulb right.Not a winner,but I can see the Jeff Cooper influence.