Why would you do this to a Mauser?

astromanluca

I found this at another gun forum, not sure if it's been posted here but I thought I'd share it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=109198725

pix497235078.jpg

pix497235015.jpg

Dr. Red

Ha he did not even get one bid. That truly was a waste of a good gun, and the guy clearly thought he was a custom gun god. But hey different stokes for different folks.

King Bear

Guess he doesn't realize that even fACOGs have eye relief requirements. Not to mention you DO NOT mount scout scopes with see-through mounts.

Even if you're not into preserving "historic firearms", you have to admit that's nothing but a craptastic hack job.

nate45

GARY E-the owner said:
OH AND YES THAT'S A M16 BAYONET YOU SEE ATTACHED TO THE BARREL. ITS PROBABLY THE ONLY MAUSER IN THE WORLD THAT ACCEPTS AN M16/AR15 BAYONET. THE FLOOR PLATE IS INGRAVED WITH GOLD LETTERING.

It says Tactical Sporter right on the floor plate. lol

That thing makes my M44 Mosin look like the coolest battle carbine ever made.:p

bobn

all the classic well known gunsmiths of the 50s and 60s started out by hacking on barrels full of mausers....this gentlemen is just in a time warp, lol.
....of course nowadays rusky rifles should be the hackmasters chioce. bobn

Dezynco

That's pretty bad! That's even worse than the old Mauser that I bought to get the action!

If that Mauser were cheap enough, someone should purchase it and have a nice custom rifle built out of it. It's a shame to see it all hacked up like that!

Dezynco

I just read the description that the guy wrote about it! The guy really thinks that he has something there!:barf: He wanted $400.00 for it! ROFL!

I'd give him $50.00 for it to save it from an eternity of disgrace. Then I'd rebarrel it and put a decent stock on. The poor thing is just crying out "SAVE ME, SAVE ME!"

RedneckFur

Looks like Bubba has been "working" again...:barf: Bubba gun-hacker math is funny... He takes a $300 gun, cuts it up and adds another $100 in accessories, and in the process makes a $50 gun.

bclark1

I dunno, probably shoots cloverleaves at 500 yards thanks to the deresonating properties of the bayonet. Further, followup shots are overrated, one round of 8mm is bound to do more damage than a thousand or so of 5.56. And out of a chopped down barrel, the muzzle will give roughly the same effect as a flashbang, affording you plenty of time to finish any stragglers with the bayo. That's the kind of balanced platform professional operators want when room clearing with their Streamlight.

If it suits him, bless his soul. I won't bid... but good for him for having a hobby.

astromanluca

Thing is, I'm not opposed to hacking up old rifles like that. There are millions of them, and for every one that gets bubba'd, there are probably 2-3 that get restored to their original condition, and 10-20 that just get left as they are and are rarely shot. If someone wants to turn an old battle rifle into an ugly monstrosity, I don't really care.

What confuses me is that he wanted to sell it. You can't sell something like that. It's like all the ads for used Honda Civics and Preludes with body kits you see on Craigslist. These guys add crap to their cars to make them look cool, and in the process make them slower and uglier than they were to begin with, and then have to take a big loss on the sale. Why even bother?

Thing is, at least he chose a cheap platform to work on. I'd almost cry if he had done this to, say, a Thompson or M14 or something.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Folks might consider that the rifle maybe had already been "carbine-ized", possibly 50 or 60 years ago, long before the present owner got hold of it.

The guy could easily have been playing mind games. "Fishing for suckers", and he may well have caught some...

:D:D:D

Art

sc928porsche

Lets see:
1. Remove the bayonet mounts
2. Get a monte carlo stock (cheap one)
3. Install scope mounts and rings over reciever.
4. Install decent scope (3x9) (Bushnell Banner?)
5. Remove 2" from butt of stock and regrind recoil pad.
6. Use it for youth hunters.

Rifle now has a purpose.