Why would someone prefer a heavier trigger pull for hunting?

JJ45

I don't know about current military issue but there is a reason that most military shoulder arms had two stage pulls.

I kinda prefer a two stage pull if the second stage breaks clean.

On regular triggers I think creep and over travel are more irritating than a somewhat heavy pull IF it breaks clean.

Paul B.

Most of my rifles have three pound triggers but two are lighter, a 30-06 with a two pound pull and a 7x57 with a one and a half pound trigger pull. Neither have been a problem when it's cold. Both rifles are based on FN Mauser actions with the FN style safety which I do not use. My hunting is spot and stalk so the magazine is full but the chamber empty. Usually no problem chambering a round and taking the shot. If my stalk was done right, the animal has no idea I'm anywhere around. I got into that habit when I had a Remington 660 and later a few M700s. Didn't trust that safety due to all the bad publicity. FWIW, the 660 did have problems with the safety as advertised but I found out when the gun was unloaded during dry fire and taking the safety while simulating a hunt. I would practice taking the safety off while shouldering the rifle and quickly getting on target. Somewhat disconcerting to hear that "click" when taking the gun off safe. Remington fixed that one. Haven't trusted a Remington ever since.
Paul B.

dakota.potts

My AR has a pretty heavy, gritty stock trigger. I can still tell you what it looked like seeing the gases exit the flash hider through my scope when I shot my first hog with it, but I don't remember even feeling the trigger before it broke. On a bench situation, it takes a while to get used to because it's got such a heavy pull. But I didn't notice at all with the excitement of hunting.

I think it's mostly a safety matter. I can't think of any other reason it would be.

reynolds357

It is a safety measure. Having said that, I hunt quite often with one of my old 1k match rifles that still has the match Jewel in it. The only reason I would avoid hunting with a match trigger would be if I were wearing gloves.

T. O'Heir

"...If the rifle has a manual safety..." One of the very first lessons taught in firearms and hunter's safety classes is to not trust any mechanical safety. Regardless of where the muzzle is pointed. They can break, get slipped off by coats and assorted plant branches, etc.
A 2 pound trigger will go off if it's touched by a gloved finger or errant sleeve too. Mind you, so will a 4 pound trigger. In any case, it's not how heavy a trigger is that really matters. It's how smooth it is.

Model12Win

With a set trigger of some kind, you get the best of both worlds whenever you want. That's why my Hawken's rifle has a double set triggers.

rickyrick

I never hunted in any kind of stands. I have always hunted from the ground, in brush, hills and so on. I've fallen down hills.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Why do I feel that most folks who talk about 2 pound trigger pulls have never used one? (FWIW, the normal single action pull for an S&W revolver is about 2.7 pounds. I don't want a hunting gun with a pull that light.)

Few hunting rifles will have trigger pulls even as light as 5 pounds, and I think that is on the low side for field safety.

Jim

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Through many a decade of talking to other hunters and reading magazines such as the Rifleman and the Hunter, plus such as Sports Afield and Field&Stream or Outdoor life, the majority opinion seems to be for a three-pound pull for a hunting rifle.

Opinions.

I like a fairly light trigger, as long as it will pass the "bump test": Let the cocked rifle drop to the floor from about a foot up. If it goes "Click", it's too light. The Canjar trigger on my '06 passes at a two-pound pull. In forty years, I've never had a problem of "Oops!"

DPI7800

I prefer 2lbs period. As far as the safety aspect I don't keep a round in the chamber when moving about, until I am doing the final stalk or setting up in my final firing position. If I'm in the final stages of a stalk then the gun is in a low ready or port arms position with my thumb staged on the safety.

I just prefer an empty chamber because I know how easy it is for a safety to get pushed to off/fire position by gear or brush etc. same with the trigger regardless of the weight.

As far as gloves typically where I live I can get away with glove liners and forgo bulky gloves.

Pahoo

Never trust "any" safety !!!

One of the very first lessons taught in firearms and hunter's safety classes is to not trust any mechanical safety.
During our Hunter Safety classes, we only make the following statement about safeties;
Understand and use all safeties provided but never trust them.

On trigger pulls; for hunters, I prefer no less that 4lbs. and for punching paper it's up to the individual call. I often do trigger work and never completely sure where they will finish out. I'm not comfortable with a 1.5lbs. trigger on a Hunter so warn the owner of this and let him make the call. ....... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Skeets

Member in memoriam
Trigger weight

In 65years of all types of hunting,3-5 lb.triggers have given me both SAFETY and:cool: ACCURACY. Also know where your fingers are!

reynolds357

Match triggers are the way to go in the bean field rifles. Back in the day before I retired my match rifle from 1k competition and made it my bean field rifle, the trigger was 4 oz. I have not put it on a scale since I adjusted it for hunting, but It is definitely not over 8 oz. It is adjusted just heavy enough that it will not fire when the bolt is slammed extremely hard. In match configuration, the bolt had to be closed easily. I have a 1.75 pound x 2 pound, 2 stage trigger in my brush rifle. I have a 2 pound single stage trigger in my hog rifle.

Drawdown

I have my scoped rifle set at 2 1/4# and my iron sight rifles are aprox 3 1/2-4#. The scoped rifle I gotta have a rest and the iron sights are mostly shot off-hand, and for my use that's about perfect.

correction, my scoped rifle is 2 1/2lb.

Last edited:

briandg

I've never had a perfect game shot. Something is a l ways challenging my skill. For example, that stupid squirrel a few years ago who played peek a boo behind the stump. Gun in position and ready, safety off, ready to go, but the twitchy little bigger wouldn't put enough out to pop. Leaning over, crosshairs on the spot finger on the trigger, waiting, and I shivered. Pop goes the weasel. The intriguing part of that story is th a the crosshairs just happened to be about an inch into the wood. The wood was badly rotted, th he bullet popped right through and tagged him.

No matter what, that was an unintended discharge. It happened because that rifle was honed and set at about two. Two pounds could make you miss, or even worse, put a round somewhere it shouldn't go.