Why would someone prefer a heavier trigger pull for hunting?

idek

While reading comments about adjustable triggers on forums or gun reviews, I've often seen mention of how people like them set low for range/target shooting, but prefer heavier for field/hunting guns.

Is this simply a safety matter (with the idea being less change of an accidental discharge if the gun is bumped while being carried), or why would someone prefer a heavier trigger for a hunting gun?

NateKirk

People wanting a heavier trigger is most likely a safety concern. Another thought is that alot of people wear gloves while hunting and I know I would be more comfortable shooting a heavier trigger than lighter as it would allow my finger to feel the trigger more, rather than the glove (if that makes any sense)

idek

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily thinking of a 2 oz. hair trigger... more like 4 lb. vs 2 lb. If the rifle has a manual safety (I can't think of any that don't), I don't know if I'd worry about a 2 lb. trigger, but I usually carry my guns in my hands, not slung over my shoulder. Then again, if I did carry it over my shoulder, I don't know if I'd even have a round in the chamber, because I wouldn't be ready for a quick shot anyway.

The glove thing makes sense. I can see how a glove will desensitize the finger to some extent, and requiring more effort will give more tactile sensation.

DaleA

Is this simply a safety matter

Yes. (As emcon5 stated above).

Some Anschutz set triggers could go crazy light as in a fraction of an ounce. That might be ok for something like a smallbore target rifle where you don't even close the bolt until you're on the firing line ready to shoot but it would be unsafe and unnecessary for hunting.

Gunplummer

I was carrying a 99 Savage (Lever Action) hunting one cold day and had heavy gloves on. I shot a deer and rapidly cycled the action and the gun went off as soon as I had the lever closed. Not really a light trigger on that rifle, but I never wore heavy gloves again while hunting.

Jimro

Safety, and the type of rifle has a bit to do with it as well.

4.5 lbs is the lowest weight allowed in Service Rifle competition, and in my opinion that is too light for good safety when doing rigorous activities like CQB or hunting.

A 5.5 lb trigger is milspec minimum for an M16/M4, and this is a good thing.

For a rifle with a well designed safety (such as a three position firing pin lock on a Win M70) this isn't such a concern and a lower trigger pull can be quite safe. A Rem700 with only a trigger lock which can be moved from "safe" to "fire" with the brush of a twig, is much less safe and very light trigger pulls should be avoided as a general rule. It should be stated that sniper rifles based on the Rem700 are meant to be stored until the sniper reaches the final firing position where the rifle is then loaded and operated.

Now I'm not telling anyone what to do with their rifles, but the loudest sound you'll ever hear is a "bang" when you weren't expecting one.

Jimro

JJ45

Hunting vs bench/target shooting are different ball games.

Hunting in cold, rain or during and after humping the bush, out of breath from climbing a hill, exited or nervous (buck fever:)) by seeing a big buck, etc. Shooting from field positions in sometimes awkward venues, frozen fingers or slippery from sweat and all kinds of other distractions while hunting.

Then there's shooting from a bench or at the range plinking.

I have a Ruger 77/22 with a Timney sear and a distant sneeze is likely to set it off. I have to consciously "think" about it before I place my finger inside the trigger guard to shoot.

FrankenMauser

Generally, "heavy" triggers are favored so that discharging the rifle takes a much more deliberate act than just touching the trigger.

A few situations that come to mind:
-To help avoid premature discharge in the excitement that most people experience when an animal is in their sights.
-To avoid premature discharge when wearing gloves.
-To avoid premature discharge with cold hands. (Been there myself. Added ~3 lbs back in for that trigger.)
-To add one more minor layer of safety in an attempt to avoid discharge-by-vegetation. (Safety and/or trigger getting snagged by a branch.)
-To avoid unintended discharge if the shooter slips or has to adjust their body position on uneven terrain.
-And many more, of course...

There are better ways to avoid some of the hunter-induced safety risks while hunting (like branches pulling the safety off and snagging the trigger), but that's another subject that has little to do with trigger pull weight - even if it's 12+ lb.

Most of the triggers on my hunting rifles fall somewhere between 4.5 lb and 7 lb. (Estimated.)
The "cold hands" discharge that I experienced was with a recently-improved trigger that was clean, crisp, and advertised at about 1.5 lb. When placing my finger in the trigger guard after quietly pushing the safety off, I pulled the trigger without even knowing it. I never felt it with the frozen finger. Going back to a heavier spring helped a lot.

RaySendero

Trigger Pull Weight

I've found trigger pulls between 2.5 and 3 Lbs works best for me.

Even with gloves on in the cold weather, I can feel when I touch the trigger. So I can "get a hold of it", Then next increase in pressure I give it - It will go off.

jmr40

For a hunting rifle about 3-3.5 lbs is about right for me. I don't know of many people who want less than 2 lbs. As others have said shooting with gloves on can be tricky when you go lighter. I could live with a 4-5 lb trigger if it is crisp and consistent, but prefer something lighter. It is still easy enough to shoot sub MOA with even a 5 lb trigger as long as it is crisp. As long as the rifle is capable.

Many target rifles are well below 1 lb. That is just too light IMHO. With the physical activity involved in hunting, climbing over fences, into tree stands, jumping ditches etc. there are too many opportunities for the gun to be dropped. With such light sear engagement the chances of an unintentional discharge are too great.

NoSecondBest

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily thinking of a 2 oz. hair trigger... more like 4 lb. vs 2 lb. If the rifle has a manual safety (I can't think of any that don't), I don't know if I'd worry about a 2 lb. trigger, but I usually carry my guns in my hands, not slung over my shoulder. Then again, if I did carry it over my shoulder, I don't know if I'd even have a round in the chamber, because I wouldn't be ready for a quick shot anyway.
High Wall, Low Wall, Encore, Win 1886, etc. etc etc. have no manual safety. A gun with a good crisp 3-3.5lb trigger can be shot as well as one with a lighter trigger in 99% of all hunting situations.

oldscot3

I'm in central Texas, so most of the time I don't even wear gloves much less try to shoot with gloves on. A trigger pull of 2 to 2 1/2 lbs is plenty safe for hunting in many places, especially if you religiously follow all other methods for safely handling and firing a weapon. I never carry my rifle around with a round chambered, although there are some occasions where some other hunters might need to. For myself, I'm past trying to creep around and surprise a buck then take a quick shot while he sprints away. I harvest meat animals, let them come to me and then dispatch with a shot placed from a rested weapon. I just can't shoot accurately enough to make neck or head shots reliably with a 5 lb trigger pull.

emcon5

The weight of the trigger is, in my experience, not the most important thing. I would rather have a consistent crisp 6 lb trigger than a creepy rough 3 lb one.

I would also take a good 5 lb 2-stage trigger over a mediocre single stage 3 lb one (then again, I am partial to old military rifles).

No way I'm pushing through a dense thicket with a 2lb trigger.

I've seen video of guys set-up on cleared hilltops shooting off a bench across a valley and hitting deer 300+ yards away. That would be different, but climbing in a stand, with gloves on, walking through thickets, even maneuvering a steep slope(I fell down one with a rifle once) I'd much prefer a heavier trigger in the 4.5 to 5.5 pound range.

cw308

idek, its a safety issue . target shooting is in Oz's hunting is in lbs. Hunting what ever the pound is the safety is always on until your ready to shoot. Cold weather & gloves will add to the problem. What ever the trigger weight is you have to be use to the trigger. I shoot target with a 10 ounce trigger, to me it doesn't seem light,I'm use to it. Someone else shooting my rifle, they say it's a hair trigger. Believe me its not.

Last edited:

Picher

For cold weather hunting, especially deer season in Maine, I prefer a 3 lb pull, but my varmint rifles, used in warmer weather and at the range, have between 2 and 2.5 ounces. However, I'm a long-time target shooter/hunter and am used to fairly short, light trigger pulls.

Customers who are not competitive shooters seem to like hunting rifle trigger weights between 3.5 - 5 lbs.

My Ruger 10-22 has a 3 lb. pull, but because it's a semi-auto, I left it a longish, but smooth pull. A trigger stop is set to minimize overtravel (backlash).

A heavy trigger pull with excessive overtravel is bad for accuracy, especially for handguns.

Llama Bob

I think it depends on the gun a lot. On a M70 with that great safety, I'm OK with light triggers. On my 1886, I'd be scared to death of an AD while working the lever before I can get the hammer down (which is the safety). I'm always careful to work the lever pointed in a safe direction, but I still do not want something to go wrong.

In a hunting context I've found heavy triggers aren't that big a deal accuracy-wise, so why risk it? The bullets from the 1886 will run out of energy quite a bit before a 1.5 or 2 MOA group gets big enough to miss the vitals on even a very small deer the other deer make fun of.