Why the hatred for 1911s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own one 1911--a stock Colt(except for the grips)----that has been dead reliable and very accurate.

Its too heavy to carry but I do enjoy owning it.

sevt_chevelle

My Dan Wesson is a total piece of crap, 2k+ flawless rounds and shoots a rugged hole, anyone know DW customer service number?

Why is the 1911 the most copied, produced by almost every manufacturer from countries all over the world if the gun was unreliable?

dannyb

I've had a number of 1911s over the years. My first sent the spent shells right into my face, most of the others are lovely. Partly, you get what you pay for, cheap knock offs probably won't function as well as better builds. I pocket carry, so I don't use them as carry pieces - but I have used the good ones I've kept in Bullseye and other competitions with great satisfaction. Forget the haters, forget the lovers, if you have one you like stick with it. If you have one you hate get rid of it and get one you like.

Hawg

cheap knock offs probably won't function as well as better builds

My Rock Island runs everything you feed it including empty cases. I've had three Colt's that only reliably fed hardball. I bought it new about eight years ago and it has not had one single failure of any kind. The higher priced guns are prettier but that's it.

Forte S+W

@JJ45
I didn't say that the Makarov PM was a copy of the PPK, I merely listed it because it was a derivative of the Walther PP, which the PPK is also related to.

JERRYS.

I carry Glocks 99% of the time mostly because of work, but I will defend the 1911. 1911s like J frames are not for wannabes.

JERRYS.

That's fine. What moron suggested you should?

"1911s are unreliable!" I've heard this. Trouble is no one ever seems to define what that is. Got news for you, if it is a repeater it can jam. Say something like that to a fanboy and right away someone will spout off how they've run 8 billion rounds through theirs and it never jammed!

To them, I say, congratulations, you haven't had a jam, YET.

Saying all 1911s are unreliable because you found one, or 3 that were is like saying all Chevy trucks are unreliable because you have one that won't start.

It is childishly simplistic (and a bit petulant sounding) to claim a design is flawed because the execution of that design in an individual gun is flawed. I've had Glocks JAM :eek:, I've had AKs JAM! :eek::eek: Are those designs flawed because some individual guns have jammed when there are literally millions of others with that same design that do not?

I've seem people jam semis, pumps, levers, bolt actions, and even revolvers.
Doesn't mean the design is unreliable. Just the operator. :D

Some people have a strong tendency to take a piece of machinery, put it to a use that it was not built for, operate it ways it was not designed for, and then BASH It because THEY couldn't get it to do what they wanted.

Then there are the people who think everything in the world that isn't their chosen favorite is crap. And those people can be on Utube as often as they want.

ok, I was with you up until this point. I'm throwing the b.s. flag. :D:D

Blue Duck

I have had individual specimens of all types of repeaters jam on me, for one reason or another and I have had specimens of all types that practically never jammed, even if dirty and neglected, and shot for many many rounds.
I like Glocks, but I only trust a few models, mostly, G22's and 17's, and the 19's are pretty good. But I think some Glock models are more reliable than others. I am not a Glock fan boy, they are just tools that usually work pretty good.

Revolvers are generally very reliable, after being vetted but I have seen issues, usually quality control issues that resulted in guns that gave problems and had to be fixed, etc. Sometimes it wasn't the gun's fault but ammo or operator related.

I have found that 1911's can be very good or pretty bad, but assuming the gun was build right to start with, most problems can be attributed to a faulty magazine or extractor, but I have had one or two slide stops break over the course of a lot of shooting. I have had a couple of firing pins break, and seen a couple of Kimber firing pins that actually bent.
I love 1911's but I think it was an acquired taste over many many years and many thousands of rounds shot in practice and competition. I was originally a revolver man and still love revolvers but my most carried weapon for CCW is a 1911 of some kind, and I have been carrying them for 30 years, and shooting them for 40 years.

Do I recommend them to others for CCW? No! Not really and not for a new shooter, not for CCW. But for me, they are my first and main choice, because I have been shooting them for some many years, and I know how to work on them. I know their manual of arms, and I know how to tune them to suit me, and I have a lot of good leather to carry them in.
However, I don't want to carry a 5 inch steel gun, because they are too heavy. My gun of choice is most often a Colt Lightweight Commander of fairly recent vintage, which comes throated for hollowpoints from the factory. At any rate, I almost always choose a lightweight 4" or 4-1/4" version with a full length grip, and carry it in a Milt Sparks IWB holster. Usually a Colt, but sometimes a Springfield, always in 45 although I do own a couple of 9mm's for fun, mostly. I if want to carry a 9mm, I usually carry a Smith and Wesson Shield.

At anyrate the 1911 is a good gun, and I trust mine, and my guns will run pretty dirty, so the old saying that a 1911 has to be squeaky clean is largely BS, as even the most tightest fitted 1911 I own will go a minimum of 500 rounds between cleanings, and some of mine will go almost indefinitely (not literally, but many will go several thousand rounds) if I keep them oiled. Of course I clean mine more often that that, for CCW.

I love the lightweight Commander, because I have found it to be very fast out of the leather, when carried strong side and second nature for me. And I can conceal it, under a vest or shirt quite easily, but I guess it's what you have confidence in and get used to.

I will say that the 1911 may generate a love or hate response from it's owner, because there are so many Manufactures of 1911's and so many models out there, and so many aftermarket magazines, and so many parts that can be bought and swapped out, and as a result there are a lot of parts guns, used that people will acquire, many with problems that need addressed. And so many kitchen table gunsmiths that try to work on them and mess them up or do a poor job of installing an aftermarket part, etc.

Now, there is no problem with aftermarket parts as long as they are top quality and well thought out, and installed by a competent person. But too many bells and whistles on a carry gun is usually a mistake. Don't start changing stuff out on one, until you are sure there is a real need for it. In my case I always install an ambi-safety because I am left handed. But if I wasn't left handed I wouldn't usually have one on my gun.

Last edited:

Blue Duck

One more thought on 1911's
In some ways, a 1911 is kind of like an older Harley, they sometimes do need a little tinkering on, and a serious 1911 owner, had probably better be willing to learn how to work on one, and be committed to learning how to do it right, or have a very good friend who is. That is unless you can buy one that is of good quality and be happy with it, and don't start changing things, assuming you get one that is build right to start with.

The ambi-safety is one item in question. Being left handed I have installed them on probably at least 30 guns or more over my lifetime and that particular item requires some hand fitting, and sometimes they go fast and sometimes it takes half a day to get one right that works very positive and clicks perfectly on and off, not to mention a good scald on blocking the internal parts so it is safe to carry cocked and locked.

Even a custom gunsmith won't always get it right, probably because he doesn't always take the time or he isn't left handed himself and a lefty will put different stresses on an ambi-safety than a right handed person will. Prime example is I even purchased a Wilson Combat 1911 many years ago, ordered with an ambi-safety of course. When I received it at their shop, the safety would work it's way out on the right hand thumb side of the gun, and jam the safety. They took it back and worked on it and brought it back out to me, I headed home with it and was playing with while driving, (I know bad idea) and had to turn around and take it back to them and ended up leaving it for a couple of more weeks.
When I got it back, it was still giving trouble after I got home. I just fixed it myself, as I knew what needed to be done, and it's worked flawlessly ever since and that was probably 25 years ago, when I bought it. It's a fine gun, and Wilson makes a fine gun, but whoever it was working on it, did not understand how to fit an ambi-safety, for a lefty shooter, when installing that particular safety. I know they would have made it right with me, eventually, but I knew how to fix it and I was to impatient to wait any longer to start shooting it. Just an example, that you probably won't run into on most other pistols. And probably a non issue if you are right handed. And some brands of aftermarket safeties are better then others, or at least easier to install.

Last edited:

zoo

I like 1911 pistols although to be perfectly honest the colt commander I carried for a while as an off-duty weapon back in the eighties use to flatten out firing pins on a regular basis.

Blue Duck

So, there you have it. The 1911 is my favorite semi-auto handgun, and I trust mine to work when I need them too, but I am not going to stand here and tell you that they are always 100% reliable, or will never give you any trouble, although they can be really very reliable if build right. And they are not finicky at all, if, if, if, they are a good gun to start with, and reasonably maintained, and you don't use junk magazines.

Rifletom

Dang, I must have got lucky. I only have one 1911, a Springfield 1911-A1 mil-spec. Bought new in '93 and has been utterly reliable, pretty damn accurate with handloads or some factory I have left. It's not an EDC, so I don't care about weight. It's my favorite handgun.

zoo

Those eighty's Colts were not always the best, was that a series 80 gun?

Yep. It had previously belonged to an individual I had caught carrying it in his glove box illegally. I petitioned the court to award it subsequent to the individual's conviction to my department. I then got permission from the chief to carry the weapon off duty. (Back then it was either that or the court would direct the firearms to be destroyed).

Yes, sort of chicken poop of me. I'm guessing the flattening of firing pins was justified karma. Although it did appear the guy had installed an overly tight spring in that .45.

gb_in_ga

My personal experience with a 1911 was back when I was in the Army, back in the mid '70s. The M1911-A1 I was issued was older than dirt. All of the finish was worn off. It shaked and rattled. Not particularly accurate (but then again, back then I didn't really know how to shoot handguns accurately), but what it was, was reliable with the USGI 230 gr FMJ that we were issued.

Fast forward to when I eventually got around to getting my CHL back in Tx. Our class was small, just 5 of us, not including the instructor. We all piled into his crew cab truck and headed off to his ranch, where he had set up his own range and classroom. It was summer, in North Texas, and the instructor was dressed in a polo shirt and shorts. He didn't mention anything as we stopped at the Whataburger for breakfast. Went inside. Sat and ate, made small talk. Nobody was the wiser. Later, as we got to the ranch and were unloading our gear, he did the reveal. He was carrying a full size 1911, OWB, under that polo shirt, with a spare mag.

Size really doesn't matter that much, and neither does weight, as long as you have a decent belt and an appropriate holster.

BTW, we had a *ball* there. We did all of the formalities. Class time. Range time. And then ... Fun Time! (Of course, I made sure to bring *lots* of extra ammo) He had a catfish pond. In that pond he had, of course, turtles. After all, this is Texas, and all significant ponds have turtles. So, we took potshots at turtles. Fun! I had a 9mm. He had his .45. Blam-Splash! Then, we went back to the range and he let us have at it with some full-auto goodness from his MP-5 (I supplied my own ammo, the others had to use some of his)! I hadn't had any full-auto fun since I was in the Army!

Koda94

1911 fan here and Ive had a lot of criticism for choosing a 1911 over the more modern counterparts. I find it an interesting phenomenon in the fact that virtually every single criticism is invalidated and has even come from what I consider those more experienced than me in shooting....

My guess is that any hatred comes from some kind of underlying jealousy.... :p

Kevin Rohrer

I just recently did my renew CCW class and the instructor bashed 1911s.

Those w/ small minds like to berate things they do not understand.

Kevin Rohrer

Those eighty's Colts were not always the best, was that a series 80 gun?

"Series-80" 1911s have a lawyer-installed, firing pin block that requires a tiny, thin, weak spring to work. I own one (bought it by accident) and do not feel it is reliable enough to carry on-duty when better-designed 1911s are available to me.

Kevin Rohrer

1911 fan here and Ive had a lot of criticism for choosing a 1911 over the more modern counterparts.

This is because too many people equate "modern" w/ "better". Modern is not better, it is just newer. The 1911 has been here for >100-years and will be here 100-years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.