Why not more gas-seal revolvers?

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
larvatus said:
This training enabled Alexander II to dodge five or six revolver bullets...

It's a well-know fact that the Wachowski brothers did training films for the Czar's army before breaking big in Hollywood. :rolleyes:

larvatus said:
Russian Civil War casualties number in the high seven figures. Many of them fell in battle under the fire of small arms. The Nagant M1895 was the dominant sidearm for both sides...

Ten thousand Rubies were in the trenches of the Western Front, a place where millions died, yet I wouldn't use that as an argument for the man-stopping characteristics of the 7.65 Browning cartridge.

There is no doubt that the 7.62x38 will kill a man, but to invest it with magical potency because it played a minor role in the background of a Warren Beatty flick and wasn't made by (*hawwwk... spit!*) provincial 'Murricans is just plain silly.

Wildalaska said:
especially as tamara is evidently referring to the fact that wogs start at Dover

Calais, Ken; the wogs start at Calais. :p

Wildalaska

Calais, Ken; the wogs start at Calais.

"Indeed, the right hon. Member for Woodford (Mr. Churchill) thinks that the "wogs" start at Calais. " http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1949/jul/29/africa#S5CV0467P0-09214

I'm allowed to paraphrase, especially since I argue over football with Brits (who still use it that lovely turn of the tongue)

There is no doubt that the 7.62x38 will kill a man, but to invest it with magical potency because it played a minor role in the background of a Warren Beatty flick and wasn't made by (*hawwwk... spit!*) provincial 'Murricans is just plain silly.

I need to find that reference to Baron Ungern Sternbergs men riding through Mongolia with multi Nagants dangling from their persons.....where is that book!

WildforgodssakecalljosefvissarionovichAlaska ™

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Please tell me it's in Beasts, Men and Gods, because I'm about to read that one.

One of the recent comments at my blog cracked me up:
Chas. A. Clifton said:
That guy (Sternberg -ed.) ... and the Czech Legion's mad train trip across Siberia (including a naval battle on Lake Baikal) ... and the craziness with British spies and commissars down around the Caspian Sea ... and more led me to formulate a literary law, viz.: you cannot make up anything about the Russian Civil War that is crazier than what actually happened.

Wildalaska

Please tell me it's in Beasts, Men and Gods, because I'm about to read that one.

Ossendowski's book is excellent, but I'm not sure....I dont think so though..... the Bloody Baron seems more peripheral in his book vis a vis other things...

Im waiting to snag a cc of Palmers "The Bloody White baron...

And for the life of me I cant recall the title of the book about the Baron written under a psuedonym by one of his (alleged) officers...

Bet Larvatus knows

WildnonotpoznersbookAlaska ™

Never mind Mike, it may have been Dmitri Alyoshin's Asian Oddessy......

larvatus

Ten thousand Rubies were in the trenches of the Western Front, a place where millions died, yet I wouldn't use that as an argument for the man-stopping characteristics of the 7.65 Browning cartridge.
Not so much trench warfare in the Russian Civil War. Think cavalry charges.

larvatus

And for the life of me I cant recall the title of the book about the Baron written under a psuedonym by one of his (alleged) officers...
A.S. Makeev, God of War -- Baron Ungern, Shanghai, 1934

(Есаул А.С. Макеев, Бог войны -- барон Унгерн: Воспоминания бывшего адъютанта Начальника Азиатской конной дивизии, Шанхай, 1934)