Why not a 38 Super revolver?

dahermit

All handgun shooting does not fall into everyone's own personal shooting practices. As demonstrated by Jerry Miculek. He does not use it for hunting, self defense, etc. He found the .38 Super revolver fit the niche of rapid double-action revolver shooting...just for the sport/fun of it.

dahermit said:
And, to muddy the waters even more, I do believe that Starline is producing both semi-rimmed (traditional .38 Super), brass and rimless .38 super that is intended to head space on the mouth of the case.
I believe that brass is called .38 Super Comp, to distinguish it from the semi-rimmed .38 Super. It was developed specifically for use in semi-automatics, to alleviate the issues deriving from the semi-rimmed cases in box magazines. To use .38 Super Comp in a revolver when it's far easier and more logical to use .38 Super would be ... illogical.

HiBC

I personally have no interest. I don't see what is to be gained.
I'm only posting to suggest its probably a moon clip proposition.IMO,the semi-rim is irrelevant.

The star shaped DA revolver extractor works fine on cartridges with sufficient rim. With no moon clip,and the semi-rim,if you get the extractor to jump a rim,your gun is tied up with brass stuck under the extractor.

If the brass is designated "38Super" its semi rimmed. If its designated "38Super Comp" its rimless.

I'll verify the case body is .384 dia straight wall. No case body taper.

Last edited:

Nanuk

All handgun shooting does not fall into everyone's own personal shooting practices. As demonstrated by Jerry Miculek. He does not use it for hunting, self defense, etc. He found the .38 Super revolver fit the niche of rapid double-action revolver shooting...just for the sport/fun of it.

My point being that you chose the world champion to make your point. A sample of one. Totally irrelevant. I could say that Jerry can hit 6 times with a 44 magnum in under 1 second as proof that it is a great carry gun for everyone.

gnystrom

How about just considering a .327 Federal Magnum? Hits hard, shoots a number of different cartridges, Ruger is selling bunches of them. Henry makes a lever. Done deal.

TruthTellers

How about just considering a .327 Federal Magnum? Hits hard, shoots a number of different cartridges, Ruger is selling bunches of them. Henry makes a lever. Done deal.
The .327 is a great cartridge, but the issue with it and .32's in general is there's almost no support by the industry to make more bullet options. .38 Super can use 9mm bullets, of which there are many options, many more than .32 at least.

Further, Ruger makes their throats for the .327 revolvers way too big and shooting lead bullets will lead the bore easy. I don't find .327 to be accurate in handguns, in the Henry it's incredibly accurate.

74A95

Further, Ruger makes their throats for the .327 revolvers way too big and shooting lead bullets will lead the bore easy. I don't find .327 to be accurate in handguns, in the Henry it's incredibly accurate.

How many Ruger handguns are you basing this on? Is this your personal experience or what you've read?

TruthTellers

The SP101 and through both personal experience and others on youtube/patreon.

I do not doubt that Ruger uses large throats across all their .327 revolvers given that it is such a high pressure, high velocity round (and most factory .327 ammo is jacketed anyway) they expect people will only shoot jacketed ammo. While .327, .357, .44, etc. can all shoot shorter, non-magnum cartridges, the manufacturers will cop out and make the excuse to shoot only what the gun is chambered for on the side of the barrel.

74A95

What do the throats on your gun measure? Also, have you slugged the bore?

How are you testing accuracy? Ransom Rest? Distance? What ammo have you used?

How are the people on YouTube/Patreon testing accuracy? Do you have links?

HiBC

Five posts and semi-snarkiness over the .327.

This is a thread about 38 Super wheelguns.

You want to argue 327's,great! Start a new thread.

The term is "hijacking" Its frowned upon

Wyosmith

Why not a 38 super revolver?
I think a better question would be "why"?

The357 magnum does everything better then the 38 Supper in a revolver, and is extremely well established.